Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth “Star Trek 4” Future in Doubt as Talks Fall Through

GotG - Loved it.
GotGv2 - A pile of shit.

The plot of GotGv2 managed to be more nuanced and yet somehow less satisfying. I did enjoy the music, humor (TASERFACE!), and character development. As middle chapters go it's no Empire Strikes Back, but it was better than, say, Thor: The Dark World. I like how both films (as well as Doctor Strange) stand out visually from the rest of the MCU.

Infinity Bore is the one I don't care for. Chris Hemsworth's scenes were great but everything else was pretty meh. If any Disney character is a 'Mary Sue' it's Thanos.

What a thoughtful post.

I've never read such a clear and well thought out explanation of why the new films and Discovery are so good. I guess I'm an idiot and just not capable of appreciating Star Trek on your level. I should be ashamed of myself for getting into Star Trek because of the old material. Thank you for taking the time to share your insights with us.

Agree, Fringe was great. What the hell happened to the guy...
He was only an executive producer on fringe didn't actually have to do much with the story and writing in the long run.

He was only an executive producer on fringe didn't actually have to do much with the story and writing in the long run.
Abrams wrote on quite a few episodes during the first season, but I don't think he wrote anything past that. Like many other projects, the series was cocreated by him and Kurtzman.

The current Star trek movies need to -

1. Find some decent ORIGINAL scripts.

2. Have an ending that doesn't result in Kirk/Spock punching the hell out of the main dull bad guy for 15 minutes.

As for Discovery, I really like it and enjoy it all the more as it messes with stuck in the mud neck-beard fans crying in their parents basement. Lovely!
Keep telling yourself that. Star Trek and more so Star Wars are not some board game turned into a movie property. They both had broad appeal first, then the hardcore fans were formed out of that. Their reaction is the most vocal and emotional but they are the visible tip of the iceberg of movie and tv audience dissatisfaction and indifference. These updates are interesting only because of updated effects and deconstruction of the old characters. Those franchises had broad appeal because they worked as they were. In the end, The new movies are so forgettable, do they even show the First or Second anymore? Your approach is killing all the entertainment franchises. There will be nothing left but Manga soon. I wonder how Disney will fair as a Manga localizer and reseller?

Last edited:
Keep telling yourself that. Star Trek and more so Star Wars are not some board game turned into a movie property. They both had broad appeal first, then the hardcore fans were formed out of that. Their reaction is the most vocal and emotional but they are the visible tip of the iceberg of movie and tv audience dissatisfaction and indifference. These updates are interesting only because of updated effects and deconstruction of the old characters. Those franchises had broad appeal because they worked as they were. In the end, The new movies are so forgettable, do they even show the First or Second anymore? Your approach is killing all the entertainment franchises. There will be nothing left but Manga soon. I wonder how Disney will fair as a Manga localizer and reseller?

So a neck-beard then? Need a tissue? ;)

I liked Discovery as a sci-fi show, but hated it as a "Star Trek" series.

Outside of the ST universe, I feel it had new ideas (aside from infringing on that indie game's tardigrade space travel concept), neat visuals, and an interesting plot. Within the ST universe, it was sacrilege.

Same goes for the movies. 1 was good, and set up for an interesting trilogy. 2 developed the core ideas further but fell WAYYYYY short by not expanding on the Klingon-Federation war. 3 was just an action sci-fi with "Star Trek" stamped in front of the title. I'm kind of glad 4 is going to be canx'd, I just wish it was because they realized the error of their ways rather than because they can't afford name-brand actors.

The current Star trek movies need to -

1. Find some decent ORIGINAL scripts.

2. Have an ending that doesn't result in Kirk/Spock punching the hell out of the main dull bad guy for 15 minutes.

As for Discovery, I really like it and enjoy it all the more as it messes with stuck in the mud neck-beard fans crying in their parents basement. Lovely!

Could not agree more, same stories, bad guy wants revenge, good guy gets revenge after bad guy goes mad. With as many cool stories as TNG and others have had I just see so many possibilities, Q for one, or maybe being lost or whatever. The whole Nero character sucked in my view.

I didn't love Discovery much but like you it's fun watching people squirm.

Yeah who's even heard of these Avenger movies anyway?

LOL didn't recognize him as the guy who was wearing his mothers drapes in the park in The Avengers. Now that I know who he is I still say he's easy to replace (it's not like he's Robert Downey Jr ... now there's an actor will be very hard to replace if at all)

The ceiling is cause this isnt real star trek... the kelvin timeline and the discovery timeline are neither real star trek.

if you want the fans that poured money into kirk, picard, sisko, janeway and archer.. you the company better get its ass back to the real prime timeline and go forward past voyager into the future

discovery has been boycotted already, and will be cancelled shorty. We the fans will not take the destruction of star trek. Nor will we pay for garbage extra time lines when we have a perfectly formed prime one with serveral series and movies backing it for 50 yrs.

Feel free to join all us real star trek fans over in facebook, the ALL TREK group !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090457617752487

It's unfortunate that Beyond didn't do that well. It was a decent movie that captured the feel of a good TV episode. Definitely better than the other trash that came out around that time (Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Skyfall...).

I actually like Into Darkness for the same reason. Seems like everyone wants to compare it to Wrath of Khan when it was really a retelling of the TOS episode Space Seed, except Dick Cheney wakes up Khan instead of Kirk.
beyond was the worst of the 3, they need to get the universe back on track lol

This has always been a problem with Trek. They start out with almost unknown actors, then by the time the second movie comes out, we have actors demanding the writers do what they want the characters to do, and the demands for pay and more say over how the film is shot also begin.

This is why Trek has always been so mediocre on the big screen, as so much money and effort goes in to the massaging the actors egos, and lining their pockets. And it only gets worse as each movie goes on. This is exactly why the TNG movies killed the franchise for so long. Patrick Stewart demanding his character be changed to an action hero, Brent Spiner demanding writer status just to get more screen time and money... As much as I love those two, they are, just as much as the studio for giving in to their demands, responsible for killing TNG, and prime universe Trek in general.

And now we have Patrick Stewart billed as a producer on the next Trek TV show, as well as acting in it... Not good for Trek at all. Patrick is a phenomenal actor, and is amazing as Picard, but he was awful once he had power over the writers and producers.

Patrick Stewart ruined TNG after he was assimilated by the borg, they should have offed his character as planned

Back