Choosing new Headphones.

Outrager

Gawd
I am looking for a new pair headphones. The $30 Plantronics behind-the-neck style one I have now are somewhat uncomfortable when I wear them for a long time.
I mostly do gaming (have an Audigy 2 ZS) and occasionally listen to MP3s.
My limit is probably something around $70 or less.
I am not a hi-fi guy. I'm mostly looking for both good sound and comfort when gaming for long hours.
I have been looking at the Sennheiser PX100, HD201, and Grado SR60.
How do the open headphones like the PX100 and Grado sound for gaming? Also, how much sound actually can be heard by others? I have a roommate, but don't listen to stuff too loud. I don't want to annoy him when he's sleeping.

Grado's are not for gaming as they have bad sound stage, very bright (so no boomy explosions), and very uncomfortable (unless you change the pads). PX100 is okay... I would go for a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A500's. These are closed so your roommate wouldn't hear much, they have nice soundstage, and you barely feel them on your head (they are very comfortable IMO). They can be had around 70 or 80 dollars I believe. There are a few pairs of Koss that are good cheap gaming phones, though im not a big Koss person.

My husband games eternally on his PX100s and when I needed some headphones, I got them as well (I mostly just listen to CDs on the comp) and they are quite good and very comfortable to wear as well as being an excellent value. You might want an extension cord, as the standard length they come with isn't much.

They are open cans, so if you crank the sound up loud it can be heard around you. Just be respectful of when your roommate is sleeping. :)

i really like my senn hd485's. ive had them for about a year and ive never been disappointed by them. they sound great in CSS and with music. now...they arent enthusiast cans, but for the price you cant beat them IMO

I am looking for a new pair headphones. The $30 Plantronics behind-the-neck style one I have now are somewhat uncomfortable when I wear them for a long time.
I mostly do gaming (have an Audigy 2 ZS) and occasionally listen to MP3s.
My limit is probably something around $70 or less.
I am not a hi-fi guy. I'm mostly looking for both good sound and comfort when gaming for long hours.
I have been looking at the Sennheiser PX100, HD201, and Grado SR60.
How do the open headphones like the PX100 and Grado sound for gaming? Also, how much sound actually can be heard by others? I have a roommate, but don't listen to stuff too loud. I don't want to annoy him when he's sleeping.

The grado's are about as good as the PX100 when it comes to gaming. Meaning they both suck.
At such a low budget, you are very limited. Open headphones do leak out sound, and also make small details harder to hear. Best bet would bet to get a closed headphone for your situation.

The Audio-Technica ATH-A500 look nice, but are a little pricey for me. Do they go around the ear instead of on it? I had these old Sony ones that had the padding on my ear and it was very uncomfortable.
If I can't afford the A500s, it seems the Senn HD201s will be my best bet.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any store that carries them so I can get them right away.

Do they go around the ear instead of on it?

Yes.

Around the ear = circumaural
On the ear = super aural

To bad you just ruled out super aural cans because I was about to suggest the AKG-K-81-DJ combined with the Sennheiser HD25 velour pads.

it seems the Senn HD201s will be my best bet.

They are a good value but if you have big ears do not expect them to fit over your ears. ;)

This is why I wish I was near a store that let you try out headphones. It would make the decision a little bit easier.

I was reading Computer Gaming Magazine at BN this evening at came across a pair of headphones that I have not heard before called Audio Xtreme 360 Headphones by a company called Titton. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Does anyone have any experience with these headphones?

Kmat

I was reading Computer Gaming Magazine at BN this evening at came across a pair of headphones that I have not heard before called Audio Xtreme 360 Headphones by a company called Titton. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Does anyone have any experience with these headphones?

Kmat
There's a high chance that you'll never find someone here with them.......... that is unless you get a pair yoruself ^_^

Not much sound leaks out of the HD485s even though they're open. I tried them strapped on my case, and above normal listening levels I couldn't hear anything.

Back