Choosing displays on Geforce GTX 560 Ti

GuruX

Gawd
I have an nVidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti video card plugged into an ASUS Z77V-LK motherboard, and am trying to figure out how to tell the video card which is my primary display. Right now, I have my ASUS monitor plugged into one of the DVI ports (the one furthest from the mini-HDMI output), and I have my TV plugged into the mini-HDMI connector.

Aside from Windows thinking my ASUS monitor is the second one in my system (which I simply assigned it as my primary display), the big issue is that my system's UEFI will not display on this monitor. I don't end up seeing any display output until I'm in Windows.

Any idea how to correct this? I do have onboard video on this motherboard, but nothing is plugged into those connectors.

in the words of #5: Need input.
We can't advise if you provide zero info as to what you've tried or what windows version your running.

assuming win7: there should be a setting to set one as the primary monitor in the windows "Screen Resolution" panel. (right click on desktop, hit screen resolution)

Sorry about that! I guess I should have provided more info (and clarified the issues). Luckily though, I solved the primary issue I was having (lack of video display in the UEFI).

Getting Windows to figure out that I want my monitor as the primary display wasn't too difficult, and Fnordman was correct in how to do so. Of course, I was still left with the fact that I wouldn't get any display output on either my monitor or television until Windows 8 loaded. I had verified that the UEFI was configured to initialize the PCIE display first (the Geforce GTX 560 Ti), and had also tried leaving it on the Auto setting but still no dice. If I plugged my monitor into an onboard graphics connector it would show the entire bootup process and let me into the UEFI, but obviously that wasn't ideal.

Eventually I discovered my UEFI was out of date, and I grabbed the latest one from ASUS' site which actually does mention about increasing compatibility with various PCI Express devices. Sure enough, that did the trick! Everything is now working great. :)

Back