Choosing btw 1/2" ID and 3/8" ID

eo54

n00b
I've been trying to decide btw 1/2" ID and 3/8" ID. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

3/8' has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages. 1/2" ID is big, bulky, takes up too much room, looks bad, and gives the same performance as 3/8".

Russ said:
3/8' has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages. 1/2" ID is big, bulky, takes up too much room, looks bad, and gives the same performance as 3/8".

QFT. The cooling difference is just about zero.

In terms of temp, there's no diff? In terms of looks, 1/2" ID looks better ya?

The advantage of 1/2" is extremely high flow.

The advantage of 3/8" is that you can get about the same cooling performance as 1/2" with 1/8" smaller tubing.

If you have a high flow system ... 1/2" would be better for you. If it's a low flow system then 3/8" would be better.

Differences will range from 0.1C to 1.0C, in favor of 1/2" ID, depending on various factors. With the more restrictive modern waterblocks, the differences tend to be less.

you could choose 1/2 ID blocks and get 7/16th tubing. its a PERFECT medium between 1/2in and 3/8in. i wish i went with 7/16, but at the time, it was unknown.

Now with 3/8" ID becoming so popular and so widely available to certain extend of more availability than 1/2". Aqua computer cooling stuff all come with default 3/8" n it makes me undecided.

The item that i intend to use are:

Chevy
Aquatube
Storm
DD D5

So its gonna be 3/8" or 1/2"

Does highflow = better cooling?

Russ said:
...1/2" ID...looks bad...

To each his own, I think 1/2" ID systems give a [H]arder apeall to a watercooled system. But if you have a small case, or the blocks you want/have dont have 1/2" barbs then there is nothing wrong with 3/8"

Go with 1/2" OD barbs, and 7/16" ID tubing with 3/32" wall thickness (5/8" OD) over the barbs. Best of all worlds for your planned setup.

I would not use 3/8" ID tubing on the Laing D5, as you'll choke the pump inlet, which is bad.

Without more details of you pump and block etc it is impossible to make a rational decision based on performance between the two. However with todays restrictive (high water velocity- read low flow) blocks the difference in using smaller diameter hose is not as much as it used to be. As an engineer I like to over build and would recommend the 1/2 " unless you have space limitations as the 1/2 has the highest performace potential as your pump can work on pushing water thru the block and waste less on pushing it thru small hose. The other components in the system will mainly determine flow rate and probally in the end, unless you use a wimpy pump, it wont matter a whole lot.

edit bah missed you equipment list in the middle of the post. I still like 1/2 because unless there is some strange situation you take the tubing out of the variables the would effect the performance.

Will you even be able to tell the difference between 1/2" and 7/16" really? It's such a small change. And for the record, I agree one of the biggest benefits of bigger tubing is the look.

Cathar said:
Go with 1/2" OD barbs, and 7/16" ID tubing with 3/32" wall thickness (5/8" OD) over the barbs. Best of all worlds for your planned setup.

I would not use 3/8" ID tubing on the Laing D5, as you'll choke the pump inlet, which is bad.
So, i will just go with the common 1/2" barb for the items and use 7/16" ID w/ 5/8" OD.

As for the pump, can squeeze the tubing in? Or u have other recommendations?

where are you people finding 7/16 ID tubing? all i can find is tygon fuel tubing, and its a nasty yellow color.

I love my 7/16" ID tubing ... and you can find it at US Plastics and also McMaster-Carr.

If you search the Forums Cathar and I have previously put out links to both sites.

I'm located in Singapore. Any other ways of getting my hands onto the 7/16" tubing?

eo54 said:
I'm located in Singapore. Any other ways of getting my hands onto the 7/16" tubing?

US Plastic ship internationally. I live in Australia - they're where I got mine from.

Cathar said:
US Plastic ship internationally. I live in Australia - they're where I got mine from.
Oh ok.. i think i will have to get it from them then. As for the barb thing, the 1/2" barbs that come on waterblock and rad r all on 1/2" ID or OD? They r on 1/2" ID ya? If they r, do i have to change them in order to fit 7/16" tubing in?

1/2" Barbs fit fine in 7/16"ID tube .... it's a tight fit but it will go on with a little muscle or lubrication.

1/2" Barbs fit inside 1/2"ID hose ...so technically they are slightly smaller than 1/2" OD.

you can dip the ends of the hose in hot water for a min or two to soften them up to help slip them on if you have trouble.

I accidentally put 3/8 in my system when I first built it (its a pain to fit over 1/2" barbs but if you warm up the tubing itll slide on, and you dont even need hose clamps once the tubing cools(I wouldnt advide on doing a system w/o hose clamps however). Since then I put 1/2" tubing in my system. Its just a little bit bulkier, and I get the exact same amnt of cooling performance.

Oh and if you are going to put a WC system in a smaller case (I do have a CM Stacker afterall...roomy) then I would advise on getting 3/8 because it can make a tighter bend radius without kinking.

Good luck!

acascianelli said:
To each his own, I think 1/2" ID systems give a [H]arder apeall to a watercooled system. But if you have a small case, or the blocks you want/have dont have 1/2" barbs then there is nothing wrong with 3/8"
Yeah, it's definitly a matter of taste.

BTW, Cathar, what's with the "don't click this" link? Referal online games are against the forum rules, no?

Vertigo Acid said:
BTW, Cathar, what's with the "don't click this" link? Referal online games are against the forum rules, no?

Huh? It is an on-line game. It didn't make a referral though in any way that I benefitted from. The link is gone now though just to avoid any confusion.

Cathar said:
Huh? It is an on-line game. It didn't make a referral though in any way that I benefitted from. The link is gone now though just to avoid any confusion.
lol. it's still in eo54's reply... :p reverse psychology works everytime.

CAD OC'er said:
lol. it's still in eo54's reply... :p reverse psychology works everytime.
Edited.. ;)

Does 7/16" have that thick looks of 1/2" tube?

eo54 said:
Does 7/16" have that thick looks of 1/2" tube?

No - 1/2" is 3/4" OD, while the 7/16" ID tubing is 5/8" OD. May not seem like much, but it just appears much more slender.

Cathar said:
No - 1/2" is 3/4" OD, while the 7/16" ID tubing is 5/8" OD. May not seem like much, but it just appears much more slender.
U have any setup of 7/16" pictures? Sorry to bother, but just don't wanna order n find out that it looks like 3/8" :p

eo54 said:
U have any setup of 7/16" pictures? Sorry to bother, but just don't wanna order n find out that it looks like 3/8" :p

A setup plumbed with 7/16" ID / 5/8" OD tubing:

P2230015.jpg

Another 7/16" ID plumbed setup:

http://www.rotaryvoodoo.com/water/finished.jpg

7/16" ID w/ 5/8" ID side-by-side with 1/2" ID w/ 3/4" OD

a8djk

Back