Choosing Between GTX 1070 or Vega 56

Wait until Black Friday, buy the best that's available at that time for the budget you have.

You can't really go wrong with either setup.

Wait until Black Friday, buy the best that's available at that time for the budget you have.

You can't really go wrong with either setup.

Black Friday is rarely a day when GPUs get super cheap. It’s always just the same old sale prices retailers like Newegg do every other day.

I am reading a lot of good points. Thanks for the education guys. :)
WIll wait a few weeks for the 1070Ti reviews to come out.

Have to say at this time I more inclined towards Acer and freesync.

Good thread. Wasnt up to date on Vega 56 and its potential. Still gonna wait for an AIB vega 56.

Seems like the 1080 is available for $490 and Vega 64 for $499.

I didn't see these prices under $500 last week.
These prices are so close to the $450 of Vega 56 and 1070Ti that I am tempted now .....lol.

From my limited research I believe 1080 is far superior to Vega 64.

What do u guys think?

I have both, they seem comparable. I think 1080 wins in some games but Vega 64 in others. So pretty much a wash.

Any idea how much tdp under load for both graphic cards. I know 1080 is 180 and Vega 64 is like 285 or close. Do u have any real world numbers.

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't have to tools to measure power usage on the system (though I probably should look into it at some point).

Newegg has a 1080 with Destiny 2 for $490. Sell the Destiny 2 code for $35-40 and you're at the same price (or less) as a 1070ti which to me, makes it a no brainer.

I vote for Vega 56.
If the 1070ti is little faster than Vega 56, you're still better off with 56 as it has freesync.

Im spewing there isn't a Acer 38" with gysnc or that there isn't a Vega that is as fast as my 1080ti strix.

I vote for Vega 56.
If the 1070ti is little faster than Vega 56, you're still better off with 56 as it has freesync.

Im spewing there isn't a Acer 38" with gysnc or that there isn't a Vega that is as fast as my 1080ti strix.

The prices of 1080 and Vega 64 are under $500 which brings it closer to 56 and 1070Ti price. So am thinking about those 2 atm.
Do u think freesync advantage will matter if i end up getting the 1080, or is 1080 strong enough to make sure no tearing occurs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
decision made easier for you with this sale?
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...=am9uYXRoYW4udm9uZW5nZWxuQGtjLmZyYi5vcmc=#top

It even includes Destiny 2 which you can sell the code for an extra say $35-40 bucks.

Capture.PNG

huge amd fan bias here. I really like the vega free sync combo -- but also highly recommend the MSI Duke 1080 with destiny 2 for $509 from newegg. Its a beast 1080 and when you factor in the game the price is hard to resist.

The prices of 1080 and Vega 64 are under $500 which brings it closer to 56 and 1070Ti price. So am thinking about those 2 atm.
Do u think freesync advantage will matter if i end up getting the 1080, or is 1080 strong enough to make sure no tearing occurs?

Thanks.
Please forgive me if you already know this, I'm trying to understand your question.

If you go with the 1080, you won't be able to use Freesync, but you will be able to use Gsync, the Nvidia equivalent. Are you asking because you're already set on a Freesync monitor?

Non-adaptive refresh rate monitors refresh at their rated speed regardless of output from your video card. Gsync and Freesync are both adaptive refresh rate technologies.

Tearing occurs on non-adaptive refresh rate monitors when your card sends a new frame to your monitor while your monitor is in the middle of a vertical scan. Thus, one half of your monitor starts drawing the new frame while the other half is still displaying the previous frame. It'll happen whenever V-sync is disabled and isn't really related to the strength of your GPU.

V-sync is an option that tells your GPU when the monitor is about to start the next vertical scan. That way, your GPU can time the next frame so it gets sent to the monitor as a whole, and won't get "torn" by a desynchronization between your refresh rate and FPS. The downside to this is that sometimes your GPU has to wait for a vertical refresh to send the next frame to the monitor, which can create a perceivable "input lag": the game's response to your input will seem delayed because you won't see the results of that input until the monitor begins it's next vertical scan and the next frame is drawn.

With Freesync and Gsync, your monitor only refreshes when your graphics card sends it a new frame to draw. Thus, regardless of the framerate, you will see no tearing: your monitor doesn't get "interrupted" with a new frame mid-scan. This is also why most adaptive refresh rate monitors have higher maximum refresh rates. On a 144hz monitor, you can see up to 144fps. And lemme tell you, that makes for an AMAZING gaming experience.

If you have a 144hz Freesync monitor and an Nvidia card, the adaptive refresh rate portion won't work; AMD's Freesync module won't talk to Nvidia's GPU. You'll still enjoy the benefits of a high refresh rate panel, and be able to play games to 144fps, but you'll need to turn on Vsync to avoid tearing... and as noted before, that may create perceivable input lag.

Good price, but don't count on selling the code, as it's likely tied to your Nvidia account that you will have to verify by having the drivers detect that you have the card in question installed.

I see quiet a few ppl selling their codes on Ebay. They mention in their listing that as long as one has 1080/1080Ti they code will work for destiny 2 and their NVidia card.

Please forgive me if you already know this, I'm trying to understand your question.

If you go with the 1080, you won't be able to use Freesync, but you will be able to use Gsync, the Nvidia equivalent. Are you asking because you're already set on a Freesync monitor?

Non-adaptive refresh rate monitors refresh at their rated speed regardless of output from your video card. Gsync and Freesync are both adaptive refresh rate technologies.

Tearing occurs on non-adaptive refresh rate monitors when your card sends a new frame to your monitor while your monitor is in the middle of a vertical scan. Thus, one half of your monitor starts drawing the new frame while the other half is still displaying the previous frame. It'll happen whenever V-sync is disabled and isn't really related to the strength of your GPU.

V-sync is an option that tells your GPU when the monitor is about to start the next vertical scan. That way, your GPU can time the next frame so it gets sent to the monitor as a whole, and won't get "torn" by a desynchronization between your refresh rate and FPS. The downside to this is that sometimes your GPU has to wait for a vertical refresh to send the next frame to the monitor, which can create a perceivable "input lag": the game's response to your input will seem delayed because you won't see the results of that input until the monitor begins it's next vertical scan and the next frame is drawn.

With Freesync and Gsync, your monitor only refreshes when your graphics card sends it a new frame to draw. Thus, regardless of the framerate, you will see no tearing: your monitor doesn't get "interrupted" with a new frame mid-scan. This is also why most adaptive refresh rate monitors have higher maximum refresh rates. On a 144hz monitor, you can see up to 144fps. And lemme tell you, that makes for an AMAZING gaming experience.

If you have a 144hz Freesync monitor and an Nvidia card, the adaptive refresh rate portion won't work; AMD's Freesync module won't talk to Nvidia's GPU. You'll still enjoy the benefits of a high refresh rate panel, and be able to play games to 144fps, but you'll need to turn on Vsync to avoid tearing... and as noted before, that may create perceivable input lag.[/QUO

I was assuming that I wouldn't get tearing with 1080 since it's a pretty fast card. Thank you for clarifying this for me. The newegg MSI deal is a killer, only thing holding me back is freesync on Vega 64 for $499.

ok Guys I've decided to go with Acer XR382CQK (it has freesync).

Now do u guys recommend $499 Sapphire Vega 64 or should I get MSI GeForce GTX 1080 with free (Destiny 2) for $469 after MIR.

Let me know what u guys think.

Thanks

Now do u guys recommend $499 Sapphire Vega 64 or should I get MSI GeForce GTX 1080 with free (Destiny 2) for $469 after MIR.

Thanks
Given that you've settled on a Freesync monitor, I'd say go with Vega. You might not get the same performance as you would with the 1080, but it'll be close, and adaptive sync is awesome.

Thanks

Since you bought a Freesync monitor it would be a shame not to use it to it's potential. That means buying the Vega 64 or 56 whichever one suits your budget best.

Given that you've settled on a Freesync monitor, I'd say go with Vega. You might not get the same performance as you would with the 1080, but it'll be close, and adaptive sync is awesome.

Since you bought a Freesync monitor it would be a shame not to use it to it's potential. That means buying the Vega 64 or 56 whichever one suits your budget best.

Unfortunately no monitor to my knowledge is 38" ultra wide with G-Sync. Even if there was it would cost something like $1800 coz G-Sync monitors have a hefty price.
Going from 2x27" 1080p monitor, 34" ultrawide didn't seen big enough when i saw it in store.

If you are set with that FreeSync monitor, it's probably best to get the Vega 64.

Note that is a very high resolution, so it will be intensive for any card you get (even the GTX 1080) but with FreeSync and Vega the performance will likely "feel" smoother, even with a lower FPS versus the 1080.

I would definitely got with the Vega 64 rather than the 56, as it's going to be tough to drive that monitor in general, so you can use the extra power.

Go with a AMD card since you settled for a Freesync monitor. If you don't care about adaptive sync then go Nvidia.

Thanks
Powercolor $499 with the nice silver case (these are beautiful cards if that matters);
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...14131727&cm_re=Vega_64-_-14-131-727-_-Product

That is a good price, I have a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Addition and a 4K monitor and it does great with FreeSync. Your 38" with slightly lower resolution with FreeSync should work well. That is one hell of a nice monitor!

Powercolor $499 with the nice silver case (these are beautiful cards if that matters);
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...14131727&cm_re=Vega_64-_-14-131-727-_-Product

That is a good price, I have a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Addition and a 4K monitor and it does great with FreeSync. Your 38" with slightly lower resolution with FreeSync should work well. That is one hell of a nice monitor!

Totally agree, card is beautiful. Is Sapphire better, more recommended over Powercolor? I haven't heard of Powercolor before? Thanks

I've had 2 PowerColor cards so far and they have been fine (though they are more of a budget brand than say MSI or Gigabyte).

Powercolor’s
I've had 2 PowerColor cards so far and they have been fine (though they are more of a budget brand than say MSI or Gigabyte).
boxing is the worst I’ve ever seen. No foam, just cardboard. If the box hit the ground the card has minimal protection.

Their website doesn’t work most of the time. Their telephone number is disconnected.

I’d steer clear unless the price is really good. The cards themselves should be the same. The only difference is the sticker on these reference cards - but the rest of it surrounding powercolor is so bad I won’t buy another powercolor.

Frankly. At the risk of sounding like I have a vendetta against AMD (I don’t). There is no way I could recommend a Vega right now compared to Nvidias offering. Freesync isn’t even reliable right yet. Opengl doesn’t work, games are buggy, clock speeds aren’t steady, web browsing with chrome is buggy(laggy). Simply put, Vega in current form is crap. I had three of the Vegas. I’ve sold two, and am fighting an RMA with the third one and will sell it after. The drivers are beta to this point.

I’m calling a spade a spade. Don’t buy one. You have been warned. The 1080ti experience - even without freesync, is just unbelievably more smooth than my Vega experience was. If you want AMD, buy a Fury X or wait six months until they fix the crappy Vega driver issues.

My friend bought a Vega. He sold it and went back to Fury X to avoid the hassles that exist with current drivers. I have thee local LAN party friends that bought Vega. All four of us have sold ours now. All had separate and yet similar issues on various monitors and PCs, games, and windows. All of us decided separately they are junk cards right now. We’ve been talking about our issues and frustrations through text messages. I realize that sample size is small, 4 people — but it’s 100% of the Vega owners I know in real life, and all four of us bought two Vega cards or more — so it’s not like we are speaking from just an unlucky sole card.

Do you want to play a game or crash to desktop repeatedly?

Do you want freesync in name only with random slowdowns to 10-30fps or do you want actually steady and reliable/even frame rates at 60hz?

I haven’t read any reviews on Vega that paralleled my and my friends terrible experiences, so I don’t know what to make of that. But when I put in my 1080ti all of those frustrations immediately dissapeared.

Last edited:
Powercolor’s

boxing is the worst I’ve ever seen. No foam, just cardboard. If the box hit the ground the card has minimal protection.

Their website doesn’t work most of the time. Their telephone number is disconnected.

I’d steer clear unless the price is really good. The cards themselves should be the same. The only difference is the sticker on these reference cards - but the rest of it surrounding powercolor is so bad I won’t buy another powercolor.

Frankly. At the risk of sounding like I have a vendetta against AMD (I don’t). There is no way I could recommend a Vega right now compared to Nvidias offering. Freesync isn’t even reliable right yet. Opengl doesn’t work, games are buggy, clock speeds aren’t steady, web browsing with chrome is buggy(laggy). Simply put, Vega in current form is crap. I had three of the Vegas. I’ve sold two, and am fighting an RMA with the third one and will sell it after. The drivers are beta to this point.

I’m calling a spade a spade. Don’t buy one. You have been warned. The 1080ti experience - even without freesync, is just unbelievably more smooth than my Vega experience was. If you want AMD, buy a Fury X or wait six months until they fix the crappy Vega driver issues.

My friend bought a Vega. He sold it and went back to Fury X to avoid the hassles that exist with current drivers. I have thee local LAN party friends that bought Vega. All four of us have sold ours now. All had separate and yet similar issues on various monitors and PCs, games, and windows. All of us decided separately they are junk cards right now. We’ve been talking about our issues and frustrations through text messages. I realize that sample size is small, 4 people — but it’s 100% of the Vega owners I know in real life, and all four of us bought two Vega cards or more — so it’s not like we are speaking from just an unlucky sole card.

Do you want to play a game or crash to desktop repeatedly?

Do you want freesync in name only with random slowdowns to 10-30fps or do you want actually steady and reliable/even frame rates at 60hz?

I haven’t read any reviews on Vega that paralleled my and my friends terrible experiences, so I don’t know what to make of that. But when I put in my 1080ti all of those frustrations immediately dissapeared.

Yeah, it sounds like you have a vendetta. I have about 10 friends with Vega and Freesync monitors and they are all very happy with the card. Check over on the Ocuk forums, most people are very happy with Vega.

You have had issues with your Vega card. Sorry to hear that, but, most people are working fine with it.

If I only had one machine, I would go with Nvidia and G-Sync, no question.

However, with FreeSync in the picture, it does make AMD look a little more viable.

At this point, that is one of the only real reasons to go with Vega: if you have (or are planning to buy) a FreeSync monitor, it seems like a waste to get an Nvidia card.

If I only had one machine, I would go with Nvidia and G-Sync, no question.

However, with FreeSync in the picture, it does make AMD look a little more viable.

At this point, that is one of the only real reasons to go with Vega: if you have (or are planning to buy) a FreeSync monitor, it seems like a waste to get an Nvidia card.

Thanks. That's exactly my school of thought.
I am going from 2x27" 1080p to 38" ultrawide. 34" didn't seem big enough in store. There isn't any 38" ultrawide G-sync on the market. I am guessing if we had one it would be around $1800.

Everyone here has told me to get Vega with Freesync monitor and the Acer XR282CQK I picked up should play well Vega 64.

Glad someone else asked this, as I've also been wondering.

I want a card in the $350-$400 range, but I could go higher if I felt it was actually worth it. And I want to get the best bang-for-the-buck for non-gaming purposes (potential video editing in the future, playing with photoshop, etc)... because while I do game on a weekly basis I am fine gaming on low-graphics settings. I don't care how my games look so long as they play without excessive stutter, etc. Plan to run 2x 1440p monitors (one for work and one for distractions, b/c multitasking is a thing I do too much of).

Been leaning towards the Vega 56 but the 1070 is tempting, esp if prices drop when the Ti comes out.

My pick would be a Vega56 or a 1080 card, both cards are good performance for the money.

Glad someone else asked this, as I've also been wondering.

I want a card in the $350-$400 range, but I could go higher if I felt it was actually worth it. And I want to get the best bang-for-the-buck for non-gaming purposes (potential video editing in the future, playing with photoshop, etc)... because while I do game on a weekly basis I am fine gaming on low-graphics settings. I don't care how my games look so long as they play without excessive stutter, etc. Plan to run 2x 1440p monitors (one for work and one for distractions, b/c multitasking is a thing I do too much of).

Been leaning towards the Vega 56 but the 1070 is tempting, esp if prices drop when the Ti comes out.

The 1070Ti is selling for around $440ish from Nvidia. I would recommend Vega 56 or 1070Ti.
Also u probably already know that fast processor and fast SSD help alot in video editing too. So look into those if you don't already have.

If you can score the Vega 56 at MSRP (the price Cagey linked) and you have Freesync it's pretty much a no-brainer to get the Vega 56.

Just got my Vega 56 as well as the LG 34UC79G-B... Amazing performance and visual jump coming from my GTX 1060 / 1080P monitor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First time vega has been available for MSRP right?

Yes, first time since launch. At launch you had a 15 second window on Amazon to get one for MSRP and receive it a couple of days later. I ordered mine 2 minutes into the launch window for MSRP and I got it 2 1/2 weeks later. I didn't like waiting, but the allure of just paying MSRP made it palatable.

I missed the eBay deal for 429, so I paid 469 from Amazon earlier this week. Hopefully I can get a price match or credit. Could always buy another and return it.

I missed the eBay deal for 429, so I paid 469 from Amazon earlier this week. Hopefully I can get a price match or credit. Could always buy another and return it.
Call Amazon today. They have a pretty short price match window of only 7 days on items sold by Amazon.

Back