Choosing an MMORPG

Zalbag

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I am looking for a good MMORPG to play. Currently I am into AO but I am getting really tired of it, the professions are all really bugged, crafting is almost useless (from what I have seen), and AO just feels really boring.

I looked at Dark Age of Camelot and it seems interesting with the RvR combat. I am a little worried about leveling though, from what I read people say it takes forever to level? Also, I hear there's alot of people who use "bots" when doing RvR?

Star Wars Galaxies looks amazing but at the same time very confusing, I am currently playing with the trial but I am very lost.

I played Final Fantasy XI but I got no where. I am very lost in that game, I don't know what to do, where to go, or who to talk to. Leveling in this game also seems to take forever. I canceled my subscription but I might open it up again if I find a reason to do so...

Does anyone know of a good MMORPG that's fun?

Thanks in advance,

Zalbag

Though I only went through a short MMORPG phase and quit, I found the public Guild Wars E3 playtest very fun. Keep your eye on that game. One of the best things about it is that it has no monthly fee to play, and that the graphics surpass those of any other MMORPG currently out there.

Yeah I played in that too. It was ok. I might try it when it comes out.

Second on Guild Wars. That's the coolest MMORPG I've played. Can't wait for it.
On FFXI, you got the gist of it. It takes forever to load and there's almost no content, but it has a wonderful combat system and beautiful areas that are fun to play in, but only if you have some friends to make it fun.
I'm in the boat with you on SWG. I still don't know much about it but I'm catching on. Keep playing the trial. The Jedi Trials update ought to add a lot of fun to it.

I'd say wait for EQ2 or warhammer online. SWG and City of Heroes is fun for about a week then they get old.

COH is a level tread mill and thats it. Once you hit the level cap, there is really no more point in playing it.

Been playing SWG since july of last year... and I cant get enough! As of now I'm a master pistoleer/bounty hunter pistols 4 (Desperado).. and all I do now is hunt rebels (pvp) with my imperial friends.. stick to swg for a little longer you'll be glad you did.

Dark Age of Camelot is an ok RPG. I'd seriously recommend you get the expansions. (Well, at least Shrouded Isles) because they overhaul the graphics engine, add a lot more depth to an originally shallow MMO. After about level 30 the game, and the realm vs. realm play gets a bit boring. But you should get a good 4 months of entertainment from it.

ive played many rpgs...

everquest
asherons call
AO
daoc
ffxi
city of heroes

i suggest daoc the most since i keep going back to that game... its more of a realm vs realm game which consist of 3 realm.. u battle each other for power and the more people you kill the more special pts you can get... but u can get so many pts but it will take a while to achieve that... if you play on the merlin server and the realm of midgard, i can help you out a bit... leveling in daoc is very easy, unlike ffxi....

shrouded isles, trial of atlantis are 2 expansions that are out for it... i suggest get both of them and then i can help you get items and get ready for realm vs realm... kill other people is the shit ;)

you can pve all day or rvr, your choice and if you want ot do quests, there are plenty to do... the graphics are good and the new expansion will be comming out this fall will make it even better....

you can find out more info on daoc www.camelotvault.com the realm charts and guild listings, ranks etc are on www.camelotherald.com...

level 50 is the maximum in daoc so its not that bad, people who power level with a bot can get a toon to lvl 50 in 1-3 days played...

a bot is a buff bot where you get enchange strength, more health, dont run out of endurance as much etc...

aim me if u want to know more about it ;) m0nty55

combustion said:
Been playing SWG since july of last year... and I cant get enough! As of now I'm a master pistoleer/bounty hunter pistols 4 (Desperado).. and all I do now is hunt rebels (pvp) with my imperial friends.. stick to swg for a little longer you'll be glad you did.

How did you get Master Pistoleer aswell as mastering scout and marksman for BH. D: What server do you play on, im on kauri as triath Koweb.

Volume said:
Though I only went through a short MMORPG phase and quit, I found the public Guild Wars E3 playtest very fun. Keep your eye on that game. One of the best things about it is that it has no monthly fee to play, and that the graphics surpass those of any other MMORPG currently out there.

I also played the public "alpha." The alpha was better than most betas. Anyways, I think the game should at least merit being bought since it does have no monthly fee. It was quite fun for an MMO game. It should be worth a try due to the lack of fee alone.

I'm playing Lineage 2 right now..
Been playing Since they had a Korean Open Beta. Some people don't like the game because of the huge grind. But the grind is worth it when you get in huge battles :)

I used to play AO for 2 1/2 years but then FunCom ruined it with ShadowLands.

I play Project Visitor . 24/7 gameplay. No game to buy either. Just need to download it. There is a $3.00 account setup fee and it cost $12.00 a month. All fees are donations to help fund the game (bandwithe, new data base rig, ect.).

Few pics for you.

pic004l.jpg

pic010l.jpg

pic005l.jpg

Volume said:

No monthly fee? How does that work? Player-run servers?

heatsinker said:
No monthly fee? How does that work? Player-run servers?

How it works is you only pay when you want. Meaning, that they will have expansion packs every few months and if you choose to buy them, those items will be available to you in the game. Sounds like a good idea to me. Only time will tell how well that will support the servers financially, but I'm sure they've given it a lot of thought.

Of the MMORPG's ive played Everquest was the worst and the best. The PVP servers were junk. Unbalanced, and tedious.

DAOC was ok, fun for awhile.

If you like REAL roleplaying, as in D and D type, check out Neverwinter Nights. Theres a lot of persistant worlds online, usually with 40-100 people and quite a good number are very fun. Many force roleplaying and have active DM's. Its pretty fun, and it can be a very differant expierience on differant servers.

While 40-100 may not seem like a lot, depending on the world it can seem large and populated.

My vote would be City of Heroes, for reasons articulated in another thread dedicated to that game.

n64man120 said:
How is lineage? I heard its supposed to be hardcore system intensive wise

Ya you really have to be a Hardcore MMORPG player to actually be competive with the other players. If you play like 1 hour a day... You won't go any where b/c everyone we level way way past you.

Their are problems though... Their are Chinese Adena(ingameMoney) Farmers. They play 12 hours a day killing the same mobs for adena to make real life cash on ebay or on their websites selling the adena. This is the only problem some people have with the game... But i find it fun to kill the Chinese because they tend to fight back even though they are 15 levels below you.

Stay away from Lineage 2! There is abslolutely nothing to do in that game but the level grind. There are only a few quests and they are just "Kill x monster and colloct x amount of x item." It is a very boring game. The PvP is very broken. There are so many loopholes it is very easy to get scammed. There is also the bot problem and the professional money farmers. Many of the best dungeons are controlled by the professional money farmers and if you mess with them you'll be quickly killed. The customer service sucks big time too. NCSoft has made it clear that they only care what the Korean player think and want.

I'm sticking with FFXI...for now. I guess I'm just getting tired off MMORPGs in general. They all play the same and have the same basic setting (as in they all ripped off LotR).

MH Knights said:
Stay away from Lineage 2! There is abslolutely nothing to do in that game but the level grind. There are only a few quests and they are just "Kill x monster and colloct x amount of x item." It is a very boring game. The PvP is very broken. There are so many loopholes it is very easy to get scammed. There is also the bot problem and the professional money farmers. Many of the best dungeons are controlled by the professional money farmers and if you mess with them you'll be quickly killed. The customer service sucks big time too. NCSoft has made it clear that they only care what the Korean player think and want.

I'm sticking with FFXI...for now. I guess I'm just getting tired off MMORPGs in general. They all play the same and have the same basic setting (as in they all ripped off LotR).
blah blah blah blah blah

Dark Age of Camelot owns.

Once you hit level 50 the game is far from over. Realm vs Realm is incredibly fun.

Oh, this Eve Online, anyone else have more information?

Genocidal said:
COH is a level tread mill and thats it. Once you hit the level cap, there is really no more point in playing it.

Yup, and NCsoft realises thing and theres big changes coming up in a patch, there will actually be missions that mean somthing now! :p

In addition, for every hero, there is a story arc that begins in the earliest missions and begins to coalesce in the later levels, until you are challenged my what becomes your arch-nemesis.

In addition, there are (as was mentioned above), a fairly major add-on that will allow tweakage of your character's look, new zones, and new enemies.

Then, sometime next year, the expansion pack will be City of Villians, which will introduce PvP and of course, super-villians!

Sounds sweet to me! But then again, I like it already so to me, it only gets better. :cool:

MH Knights said:

I have to agree. I quit L2 about two weeks ago and sold my account after reaching level 38, which is a lot of time spent grinding. I realized that the only thing to do was grind. Sure, there are clan battles that will penalize you heavily until the Chronicle 1 patch is issued, one of 12 patches they will release, and Castle sieges will also be implemented. But a Castle siege lasts only two hours and happens only every two weeks per castle. Not to mention, they delayed C1 and there's been rumours they'll do so again. And I can't stress enough how terrible the customer service is and how rampant the adena farmers are. Overall, while this game may hold your attention for a few weeks, you'll recognize how terribly boring it is. I'm personally waiting for WoW, as I've heard several good things about it from people who've played both L2 and WoW.

Volume said:
How it works is you only pay when you want. Meaning, that they will have expansion packs every few months and if you choose to buy them, those items will be available to you in the game. Sounds like a good idea to me. Only time will tell how well that will support the servers financially, but I'm sure they've given it a lot of thought.

No...I think you meant you only "play" when you want. They have said nothing about expansion packs yet. There is no monthly fee because Guild Wars mimics an MMO. In reality, it is not quite an MMO; it's just very similar. When you play Guild Wars you can go solo or party. Solo is really solo...as in you're in the world by yourself with no one else around. Partying is in different zones. In the alpha, you only partied to tackle missions or PvP. From the alpha, the only way to interact in the MMO world was either in town for trading, or in the mission zones. You can of course whisper someone that is in a solo zone even if you're in the party zones. That's another way of interaction.

This system may not seem fun, but it works surprisingly well. You really need to use teamwork to get through some of the later, more difficult missions.

So...MMO game like Everquest = 99.9% interaction with the server population. Guild Wars = interaction with server population only when you want.

With all the MMORPG's out there right now, there doesnt seem to be any much worth playing. But if you like the one your playing then play it.

I have pretty much bought and played every MMORPG since Ultima Online, which WAS the best MMORPG until it just got turned carebare like most of the games out now. No fun when you can just die and not care about it.

If anything wait for something like World of Warcraft or Everquest 2.

I would rather see another MMORPG like UO come out where you are not worried about leveling, just working certain skills. Also would like to see a game that can correctly combine an economy based on player made items and phat loot. Oh wait, how about an MMORPG that is complete when it comes out also.

...just my two cents

Murkon said:
Dark Age of Camelot owns.

Once you hit level 50 the game is far from over. Realm vs Realm is incredibly fun.

I am really interested in DAoC (I don't know why). Should I download the free trial from FilePlanet, or go out and buy the Golden/Platinum edition of the game?

At the same time I am really interested in City of Heroes. But my brother's friends keep telling me it has no depth and there's nothing to do at high levels (of course the highest level they got to was 15, so I am not sure if I should believe them or not)

Anderu said:
In addition, for every hero, there is a story arc that begins in the earliest missions and begins to coalesce in the later levels, until you are challenged my what becomes your arch-nemesis.

In addition, there are (as was mentioned above), a fairly major add-on that will allow tweakage of your character's look, new zones, and new enemies.

Then, sometime next year, the expansion pack will be City of Villians, which will introduce PvP and of course, super-villians!

Sounds sweet to me! But then again, I like it already so to me, it only gets better.

Is this what is in the game now, or coming out in a future expansion?

The story arc in CoH is there from the start. The extra zones, and costume shop is coming SOON, and the City of Villians expansion is on for early next year.

I have three characters currently. Two at level 7, and one at 17. Between the challenges currently available, the scaling for teams, and the pursuit of more powers and enhancements for your hero, it has plenty for me.

I am also curious to see who my arch nemesis turns out to be! :cool:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wouldn't hurt to give Galaxies a shot when they finish the Jedi revamp. Back before SOE gave everyone a Holocron for Christmas the game was GREAT socially. You had Weapon and armorsmiths that made good products and didn't charge you three prices too much, Dancers and Musicians were friendly and chatted with people in Cantinas. Now its people just grinding 32 professions to get their Jedi slot unlocked. All the dancers and musicians are running macros whilst AFK. The game still has fun moments for those who like combat, there are several dungeons for groups to conquer including the impossibly hard Death Watch Bunker. Saturday night 5 members of my guild and I went and did the Geonosian cave on Yavin 4....we all ended up dying but we had a BLAST. Then we hunted Black Sun Operatives for two hours and combed the ENTIRE planet for them. Jump to Lightspeed will be out this October so if you get in now you'd have enough credits by the time the expansion comes out to get a ship better than the "Starter" ship.

I like SWG as well. I go through spurts of playing it and then a few weeks off. There really hasn't been anything to keep me playin' non-stop yet. Lineage II is kind of boring, and I'm going to sell my account.

Mr_Evil said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wouldn't hurt to give Galaxies a shot when they finish the Jedi revamp.

Where can I find this info on the Jedi revamp? I looked at the SWG website but can't seem to find anything...

www.eve-online.com

Its an space based PvP (not totally strict) game. If you want a 7 day pass (no where near long enough) send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you a 7 day key, it doesnt need a credit card for the pass either, but it is a 476 meg download.
The game itself is not without it's problem s but it is pretty good in my opinion.

Dano.

Genocidal said:

LAFF! You sound like a power leveler ... its been 1 month since launch, it took EQ 3 years to get where its at.. so comparing COH to any other MMOG thats out now is just stupid.

I've played every MMORPG out there, and COH is by far the BEST. NOTHING COMPARES TO IT ...

NOTHING

It will blow your mind, this is one MMORPG for grownups.

It is by far the most complex and involving MMORPG out there.

Back