Choosing an email address for whois contact info

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Which is a better choice for whois contact info: a free email address unrelated to the domain name in question, or an email address with the same domain name as the one being registered?

Assume for this purpose that all whois contact info is effectively masked by a privacy service.

I am just wondering if it's a bad idea to put all of one's eggs in one basket. If something goes wrong with the registrar, is it a bad idea to have whois info tied to a domain name registered by the same registrar?

I'm using the mail address from my favorite hardware, tablet and phone provider for those Whois contacts; to be independent. But make sure to use one which have a chance to stay longer in market and historically retain older domain names (like @me.com/iCloud.com or @live.com/outlook.com).
So yeah: go for a free mail account from a reasonable stable provider.

If you use an email address that is at the same domain as the one being registered and somebody is able to get control of the domain, they automatically get control of that email address as well. I'd say that is a bad it just because of that risk.

Funny I was thinking about this the other day while consolidating some domains to a new registrar. I'm curious as to what is recommended as well.

The way I'm currently setup is that I have two registrars. My main(new) registrar uses an email address from a domain registered under the other registrar, and vise versa.

I used to use a gmail account, but since it's a free service, Google has ZERO obligation to keep it going. They could decide one day that they don't want to offer that service anymore, and poof, all the emails are gone. The odds of that happening are slim, but it could happen. Kinda how MS shut down MSN messenger. It's a free service, so they have no obligation to provide anything. It's not like there is a SLA or anything.

I also use two factor authentication for my registrar. If there's one thing you need to safeguard the most it's your domain registrar account and your email. Either one of those being compromised could be used to take over your entire online estate.

This is a good read, sorta related to this: http://gizmodo.com/how-i-lost-my-50-000-twitter-username-1511578384

Back