Choosing a WAP

Hey Folks,

I'm currently in the process of building a new home and I'm laying out my plans for wifi. I've decided to go with 1 or 2 Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points in my home. I was curious about people's experience with other WAP's in terms of signal through walls and what not.

So please share if you live in a home that was built in the last 7 years. I'd love to know the Brand, Model, and Specs of your WAP. Also, a short story about your experience would great.

Thanks a Ton!

Hi Phantom9309 -

What is the total square footage of the home, and how many floors of coverage are you looking to get?
Are you going all 5.0Ghz, or do you need 2.4Ghz as well?

The home is going to be a two story w/ basement. Total finished sq ft is 2,115 w/ 1,018 unfinished sq ft in the basement. I mainly care about a good 5ghz signal in the living room and study. If it flows into the other rooms great, but 2.4 should be fine for the most part. In terms of coverage, I'd like to cover the whole house plus most of the backyard, but primary goal is to have near perfect signal in the study and living room. So I'm thinking about placing a Ubiquiti UAP‑AC‑PRO in the study and on the ceiling between the great room and dining room. The idea is to have direct line of sight so I can take advantage of the 3x3 MIMO w/ our Macbook Pros.

Floor Plan below:

gJAYU2d

Floor plan image doesn't appear to work.

Also, what is your budget? There quite a few options, UAP being probably the most popular solution here.

Yeah, I think I need moderate approval before the picture goes through.

Budget wise, I'm not sure. At first when we move in, I'll probably go with whatever I have laying around till our bank account gets a bit more flush. We're both have decent incomes, so I'm not too worried about having our dream system down the road.

If I could flip a switch and have all my components right away it would be:

2-3x Ubiquiti UAP‑AC‑PRO
1x Ubiquiti US-24-250W - PoE Managed Switch
1x Ubiquiti USG‑PRO‑4 (Will most likely use my existing ASUS wireless router at first w/ wifi off)

1x Server of some sort. My wife does data science, so I might build her something for side projects at home, unless it turns out Amazon Cloud Computing services are cost effective for us.

2x PoE Outdoor Security Cameras - Reolink RLC-423
2x Wireless Indoor Cameras - Probably Reolink as well

There'll most like be some smart home devices in there and what not.

Back