Choosing a new video card for my ready-made PC

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Avonest, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Avonest

Avonest n00b

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Well, two years ago I bought a ready-made PC which had a decent CPU, but a very low-profile video card which doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for some 2012 games. Now, if I find a good Christmas sale, I might consider changing it for a newer one. But my worries are, will my PC "suffer" much by getting a more powerful video card? If so, would I need to replace my power supply?

I'm considering getting another Nvidia card not surpassing the 200$ price limit.

This is the more exact hardware information I can give about my machine, will it "tolerate" video cards like GeForce GTX 760 without additional changes? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Starrbuck

Starrbuck 2[H]4U

Yes, a GTX 760 or GTX 750 Ti would be a good performer for well under your $200 budget.

3. Vatican

Vatican [H]Lite

I can assume based on your i7/ram that the PSU should be able to handle any midrange graphic card. Just don't go SLI.

I recommend Radeon R9 270X as I believe it is the best price/performance card sub $200. You can get one easily under $160 and it will gain the same performance as a gtx 760. However a 760 draws power more efficiently.

4. Avonest

Avonest n00b

Thank you for your replies, but I opened the box and it looked like a totally un-upgradeable system...

For example, there's only one slot to plug a video card, and I don't even think there's enough space to plug one of the "bulkier" cards, because of the cooling system below.

What do you think I can do with this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dccmadams

dccmadams [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe a 750 Ti as you wont need a PCIE connector and your weak psu might be able to handle it. You could also save up for a whole new PC. You could keep the 3770 cpu, and use it in the new build.

6. MrGreg62

MrGreg62 Lurker

You should have no difficulty putting a midrange card in there room wise because the bulk will face up the way your tower is configured. You will have however need to replace that power supply.

7. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

Yea... As others have said, your only plug and play option is going to be a 750ti (which is surprisingly powerful) as it draws such a small amount of power it doesn't need a 6 pin power connector. You should be able to pick one up for $110 - $130 after rebate. To go with anything bigger you'd have to replace your PSU.

If you were to go with a used 760 (plenty have transferable warranties) and a new 500-600 watt power supply you could still easily purchase both while staying under your $200 budget.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  8. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

Can you please measure the length of the red line?:
    [​IMG]

Also, clean out your PC!

9. Avonest

Avonest n00b

Thanks again for your replies guys. So the main hindrance to upgrade my machine is the power supply, it seems.

In this case, what's the best video card I can aspire to without replacing my power supply? The 750 Ti perhaps?

And in case I decided to replace also my PSU along with the the video card (not very inclined to, but still), would this guarantee at least 3 or 4 more years of being able to play upcoming games with at least the medium video settings? Currently, with a GeForce GT 620 I can't even play Shadow Warrior (the modern one, of course xD) at minimum settings.

By the way, I have done a new picture so you can see better the spacing between the video card and the CPU cooler:

[​IMG]

It's 20 or 21 cm (7,8 - 8,2 inches) more or less.

LOL, I could only see stuff with the camera flash, didn't see the dust until uploading the pic to the internets. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  10. EdZ

EdZ Gawd

A replacement PSU is not in any way needed. FSP make decent quality PSUs, so you can assume the 300W available on the 12V rail will be correct. This is more than sufficient for a 750ti. I am currently running a 970 on a 300W Silverstone SFX supply, and that handles it at full load with no issues. A 60w 750ti will not struggle at all.

With 200mm of room, a short/'ITX' length GTX 970 would fit, and the PSU would be sufficient to power it at stock clocks (145W TDP, 16A on 12V2 = 192W, assuming it's not a single-rail PSU anyway), using a pair of Molex -> 6-pin PCI-E adapters. A i7-3770 and 8GB of RAM will in no way bottleneck a 970.

If you want to replace the PSU anyway for noise reasons, it's a standard ATX size, so any ATX PSU will fit.

11. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

THe 750Ti is your best bet if you don't want to replace your PSU. However, if you do decide to replace your PSU and go with a better video card, yes that would mean that your system will last quite awhile longer. It won't be until 2017 at the earliest that you would have to think about doing a new CPU + mobo upgrade and maybe a GPU upgrade if you get something like the R9 290 or the GTX 970. Note that the 750Ti will not last you three years.

Personally, if I'm going to spend more than $200 on a video card, I would not want to power it with a PSU that's of questionable quality. So yes I would recommend a new PSU upgrade if you plan on going big with the video card. I recommend this Seasonic as a replacement:
    $60 - Seasonic S12G-450 450W PSU

12. Slava

Slava 2[H]4U

I would recommend 750ti as well. Great price and good video card for most games. Psu not needed unless you go with 760 or higher.

13. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Honestly, for $200 at 750 ti is the right card. Even if you spent $50-$80 on a new power supply to handle a more powerful graphics card, the 750 ti would still be the best card for the money. As is, you can just drop it in your current system and not have to worry about if your power supply is good enough to handle it.

14. p05ta1

p05ta1 Limp Gawd

15. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

P.S.

If you do end up going with a 750 ti be sure to pick up a 2gb version like p05ta1 linked and not one of the 1gb cards floating around.

16. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

How far does that heatsink on the motherboard under the GPU cooler stick up? Would it hit the cooler if the card could fit into the PCI-E x1 slot next to it? I would be concerned that a dual-slot cooler wouldn't fit because of the placement of that heatsink. I've had issues before with motherboard components getting in the way of add-in cards.