Choose D.I.Y. over prefab kits.

plywood99

[H]ard|Gawd
When I first got into water cooling I bought the Kingwin Arctic Cooling kit. It's not a bad kit for first timers. My load temp was about 48 - 50C. Which is a little better than my old heatsink/fan. Water proved to be much quieter though. But after a while I wanted to cool my system even more, so I started modding the Kingwin. First up was over-clocking the pump.... :D The pump originaly ran on 5 volts, and pushed hardly any water at all. So I hooked it up to the 12 volt line with a fan controller to adjust the voltage.

Well, it worked awesome! I could now see the water rushing into the res. But 5 volt pumps don't like 12. For about 90 minutes it ran like a champ and temps dropped to low 40's. Then the POS pump died. :mad: So including shipping, I lost about $130 dollars. But I did learn alot. And I also read alot of the post here on the forum.

Time to go total D.I.Y. Screw the kits. I bought a Chevette heater core, $26. Zalman wb2-Gold cpu block, $42. Maxijet 1200 inline pump, $25. Misc. parts, $15. Total cost = $108 dollars.

But the real kicker is the performance. Load temps now max out at 34C. !!
DeskTop.jpg

Plus, I have the joy of putting together my own setup. Details in the watercooling rig thread.
CaseView.jpg

So, in short, I guess kits have there place. But dollar for dollar, they really can't compare to a custom built setup. :rolleyes:

HeThatKnows said:
Congrats on the cooling, but... a 682 KB screenshot of your desktop? Pity the poor 56K'ers.

Doh!!! :eek: Guess I shoulda made it smaller huh....

Dual OC3's here, bring on the TIFFs of your desktop :-P

Seriously, though, nice work, and you can do even better with a different waterblock

682kb isn't bad. next time make it even BIGGER. we will force the 56k'ers to the light whether they like it or not.

mwarps said:
Dual OC3's here, bring on the TIFFs of your desktop :-P

Seriously, though, nice work, and you can do even better with a different waterblock

I think I may be at the point of vanishing returns though. According to Overclockers.com, there is only a .03C/W difference between my Zalman and a D.D TDX.

It wouldn't be worth the cost of a new block for such small gains....

Back