Choice of a performing AIO...

Elric82

Limp Gawd
Hi

i recently bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 240 but i'm not very happy about it and i'm looking for a better one for my i7 4790k

I can fit a 360 in my case and was kinda tempted by the Silent Loop 360. Is that a good choice?

If you have any advices..

Thanks a lot

I'm not a fan of AIO coolers. They're "ok" for stock clocks or a modest overclock if silence is what you're after and are funds limited. A 360 AIO will perform somewhat better as it has a larger surface area to cool (larger rad).

I vote give it a shot. Worse case scenario you'll have to send it back and use your 240 again.

Aio 's have their draw backs. For people who have never water cooled before, I often see them have unrealistic expectations going in.

make sure the pump is gravity fed or at least the Rez part of the radiator is on the bottom. Yes, they're supposed to be hastle free, but air bubbles will destroy any cooling ability. If the fittings are mounted at the top and above the pump/CPU you have at least some air bubbles going across your CPU if not more air than water depending on your cooler. it's impossible to have 100% liquid in a clc. A cheaper one will be even worse.

Just my 2c. I've had my 2500k oc'd pretty good at good temps on a 120 cheap clc for a while. You can usually cool a stock CPU and gpu with a 240. There shouldn't be a reason to put a 360 in unless you're dumping massive voltage into your CPU.

Last edited:
The rez part? Sorry I don't get it can you explain?

I don't really plan to overclock soon anyway and if I do I will buy the tool to delid my cpu.

I just want better performance that my 240 which are a bit chaotic for my taste and silence :)

I would have to for a high end air cooling but all the best one will mess with my ram so...

They don't usually have an official reservoir, but they hold excess water around the fittings and the pump needs a full column of water to run correctly.

Like this dude is going to have issues long term
maxresdefault.jpg

This guy should be fine
14544194943jy0IZaNmr_2_12.jpg

Any top mount orientation should be fine.

Feel free to call me crazy, but I've ran into this a lot before so just sharing. Sorry

On a non-overclocked CPU, you're not going to see any performance difference between a 240 and 360 with AIO pumps. The size of the radiator isn't your limiting factor here.

If you've got the itch and just need to spend some money though (which I completely understand) you'll be doing yourself a big favor by going with one of those prefilled expandable AIO loops with real pumps and copper parts. EK's are called Predators, I think, and there a few other companies that make them, like Swiftech.

Not only will you get top performance, you'll get much better longevity and the ability to expand your loop to include your GPU at your leisure.

Get an eisbaer.
I'm a fan of that design.

Fractal has a new one. IDK much about it but it's expandable. I don't like that you aren't supposed to remove one of the tubes though. I did like the kelvin FWIW.

Back