CHKDSK hangs in VISTA

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I'm working on a HP dv2000 laptop for somebody with Vista Home Premium. It hangs at step 1 the 15000 files checked. I let it run all night 9 hrs total & it was still stuck at the same spot (Idon't see any activity from the HD lights either). I ran at the dos prompt sfc /scannow & everything did ok on that. I'm thinkin the hard drive has issues. I'm nor real familiar with Vista as I run XP so maybe there's something I'm missing. I did a google search but never found a real answer. Anybody got any suggestions.
I can ignore the chkdsk & it boots in vista ok & run fine, but I know there is something wrong somewhere & I want to fix it right.

I'd take out the HD, hook it up to a USB adaptor, and plug it into my XP machine and run a chkdsk on it that way. the file system hasn't changed, so it should be able to pick up on any errors and fix them. If you hook it up by IDE or SATA, it might prevent the XP system from booting and might cause damage to the system restore of the Vista machine because of how XP works at boot time.

Back