Chkdsk errors, XP / NTFS

scoob8000

2[H]4U
Code:
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

So I run it with /F and reboot, chkdsk finds no errors. Once Windows is back up and running I do another chkdsk, and get the same thing.

Any ideas, this one is new to me. And no the drive isn't failing.

/me runs fsck and kicks ntfs in the nards

I assume by the reboot that file system error is on the system partition?

Is it possible some of the boot files have been tweaked by another OS install?
It is running the file system checker on boot right, just not reporting errors?
"/v" may give you an idea of where on the file system the issue is, but it depends on the issue
Have you checked for any strange entries in the event log? When chkdsk runs on boot it puts information in the winlogon event.

Ah, I didnt think to check the event log. Always forget about it.. :)

Anyway, it goes pretty quick but if my eyes see correctly it finds no errors when its doing the bootup chkdsk.

chkntfs always comes up clean on boot too..

I'll post my findings in even viewer when i get home..

I belive its normal to get "errors" on chkdsk on the system volume while windows is running. Due to the way windows uses memory as disk cache, the volume can appear to be in an inconsistant state while windows is running. When you run chkdsk after a reboot, windows isn't technically running yet, so you no longer get any errors.

The kernel will put the volume in a consistant state when you reboot. As long as you don't get erorrs on the chkdsk after the reboot, you should have nothing to worry about.

Not to be completely skeptical but, Has anyone else ever seen this? This is a first for me..

FYI: Same thing in safe mode.

REcovery console chkdsk shows it found and repaired errors, upon reboot my issue is back..

Also doing a selective startup with minimal services has no effect.

Can you post the errors that it list when run normally (not durring boot).
For the logging from the boot check you able to find the log then? And there were no errors? Or were you unable to find the log?

[MS] said:
Can you post the errors that it list when run normally (not durring boot).
For the logging from the boot check you able to find the log then? And there were no errors? Or were you unable to find the log?

There was nothing related in the windows event log, or should there be another log somewhere I should be looking for?

Code:

scoob8000 said:
There was nothing related in the windows event log, or should there be another log somewhere I should be looking for?

When a check runs at machine startup, the log should be inserteded into the application event log, in the "winlogon" event that occurs at each startup or shell restart.

scoob8000 said:
Code:

That's the only output when running with the /V option?

Anytime chkdsk runs automatically at startup I run the HDD diagnostics on the drive. It will ususally show bad sectors.

Run chkdsk /r to do a full sector scan, if it finds errors get the HDD utlitiy run on it.

[MS] said:
That's the only output when running with the /V option?

Heres the output with /V, note the Deleting index entry doesn't always show up, and sometimes it's different files.

S1nF1xx, Thats the first thing I did. I ran the Maxtor diag tools as well as a full level 5 spinrite run. Everything checked out okay. Even went as far as running memtest, came back fine too.

This is the single weirdest thing I've seen with the Windows file system.

Code:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is MAIN.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry INDEX.MAP in index $I30 of file 542.
Deleting index entry OBJECTS.MAP in index $I30 of file 542.
Index verification completed.
Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive.  This is not a corruption.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Heres one of my winlogin events, I didn't see it because I was looking under the system event log.. DUH.. :/

Code:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is MAIN.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4 unused security descriptors.

20354323 KB total disk space.
   6515876 KB in 39561 files.
     13904 KB in 3214 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    109743 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  13714800 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
   5088580 total allocation units on disk.
   3428700 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
45 a8 00 00 22 a7 00 00 cc f2 00 00 00 00 00 00  E..."...........
26 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  &.......n.......
5a bc 64 02 00 00 00 00 1c a5 b4 16 00 00 00 00  Z.d.............
bc cd 96 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 f2 4b ed 24 00 00 00 00  .........K.$....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 89 9a 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..6.............
00 90 b2 8d 01 00 00 00 8e 0c 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url].

Ah...

Can't find the link at the moment, but I remember reading somewhere that what you are seeing is normal on some systems. Certain file operations can cause the message you are seeing "Deleting index entry ...". I'll run a few more searches though and see if I can find the page.

Of course, the line "Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption." also hints at this.

[MS] said:
Ah...

Can't find the link at the moment, but I remember reading somewhere that what you are seeing is normal on some systems. Certain file operations can cause the message you are seeing "Deleting index entry ...". I'll run a few more searches though and see if I can find the page.

Of course, the line "Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption." also hints at this.

Thanks..

Blessed is the pessimist for he who hath made backups.. :)

I get those same results when I run chkdsk on both my systems, and have every time I have done a clean install on them. Some days I don't get them, then i'll run chkdsk five minutes later and there's errors again. I think it's just a XP deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

number69 said:
I get those same results when I run chkdsk on both my systems, and have every time I have done a clean install on them. Some days I don't get them, then i'll run chkdsk five minutes later and there's errors again. I think it's just a XP deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Call me parinoid but it still worries me. If it's just an xp thing, or a bug then why have I never seen it until now? Not on any of my other boxes, nor the hundreds I've built for others and worked on.

And yet a different message today..

Code:
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

scoob8000 said:
And yet a different message today..

Code:
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.

Hmmm

The unused index messages were the things that IIRC can be caused by certain file system operations.

This one doesn't look to be in that category though:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/w2000Msgs/2442.asp
Though I can't say what would cause something like that. This is the Win2K reference docs, but they seem more detailed than the XP ones for that utility, and the meaning of the error is likely the same.

scoob8000 said:
Call me parinoid but it still worries me. If it's just an xp thing, or a bug then why have I never seen it until now? Not on any of my other boxes, nor the hundreds I've built for others and worked on.

I have no idea. Seems like nobody else does either. I remember searching for an answer on the same issue a year ago and found a several threads on Google and nobody ever got to the bottom of it. I don't have any adverse affects or crashes(knock on wood) of any sort so I threw in the towel trying to figure it out. I'm not a self proclaimed computer/ XP guru so I'm just telling you what i've experienced. The link http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...00Msgs/2442.asp the guy posted above me pretty much sums it up I think. If you find out what is causing this, let us know because I've seen it on other systems besides my own.

I may restore a backup from last october, so many changes since then... :(

Going to plug along a bit more though, I'm backing up with errors so if I break it any worse I have a checkpoint.. hehe

Update:

Drive, cable and controller eliminated as possible cause..

I cloned the drive to a SCSI drive I have, and completely disabled the onboard IDE channels and the error persists.

Ho hum..

Back