chipset cooling on a K8N Neo2

DisrupTer911

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been thinking bout water cooling my setup but my video card passes directly over the chipset hsf on the K8N neo2 mobo.

it litterally bisects the hsf.

so waht chipset coolers can I fit in there that won't interfer w/ the video card or am I outa luck?

if you are w/c the gpu as well, i dont see why you would have a problem running any chipset block you want.
for reference...
Thermalright%20XP120.jpg

however if you arent w/c the gpu and it has a huge cooler on it, say leadtek for example...you will have a definite problem.

i have the same mobo and actually the leadtek 6800gt with the huge cooler :p i did watercool it, however i left the copper sink on near the back of the card under the molex, and that hangs over the chipset. i got the big blue zalman passive sinkfor it. took a bit of clipping and bending of some fins, but it worked out well.

You can run a passive sink on there. Unless you really want to water cool it...but the NF3 doesn't need it. Either of the Zalmans work fine (NB32 & 47, IIRC), and I ran one on mine with no problems.

Tom

i'm running the swiftech MCX159 heatsink semi-passively, and although it litterally touches one ramsink on my VGA card, it fits and cools the chipset well enough that it doesn't top 40. i doubt that chipset cooling is hindering my OC.

i would also agree that passive air cooling is an option for the chipset on our board.

good case airflow is needed, but no dedicated fan.

Back