Chinese x99 motherboard

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
So my GB x99 MB bit the dust and I did not want to sell the cpu which is a 5960x since I did not know if it worked.
Well it works and I bought one of those Chinese MB's on Ebay for about $80. It seems to work fine. I put in an x4 512gb M.2 and ordered 16gb of memory for it.
It will be backup and BOINC duty. I also had a bad EVGA 1060 6gb and did an RMA. I got back a 1660. Whatever works, so I put it on a x1 extension
since it won't need full speed for BOINC.

Has anybody tried one of these MB's? Any problems? No idea if a bios update is available since I do not even know what it really is. Price went up $10 since i bought it. Wooo!

Do not mind the hot glue as it was previously watercooled(AIO) and I did not have the mounts for it. It's just stock speed anyways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X99-LGA201...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

92072788_217971599614935_6061640232795635712_n.jpg
91994671_533792490658593_2290241669359992832_n.jpg
91438319_503632900333070_5613178980610867200_n.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Must of been nice to get the motherboard in a box with something on it. Mine was in a brown box just big enough for the MB.
Thanks for the info, I will check them out!

I haven't tried this board in particular, but I was contacted by a Chinese rep for one of the factories on Linkedin that make these boards late last year to try their stuff.

I did a sample order of one of their G41 LGA775 boards, two sticks of DDR3 RAM (one 8GB and one 4GB) and one 120 GB SSD. Everything surprisingly worked, but the motherboard was a bit quirky. The BIOS was super basic and locked down, and it was a bit picky about the memory it would work with, but otherwise worked fine. They offered me a board similar to the one shown in the OP, but I didn't have any LGA2011 CPUs to test. Like GN said in the video, there's a whole community based around these boards in Russia, where they have hacked BIOSes that enable more features and allow some overclocking. Not that I'd trust these boards to overclock given their anemic power circuitry.

The prices the rep gave me were pretty reasonable, but I have a feeling they were special prices for samples.

It has been running WCG for a week now and no problems. Not bad for a cheap board, even if it's running stock clocks.

I can't let go of my paranoia. I always think there is some super spy chip on these that will totally collect all data. I would definitely monitor the destination and source of every packet sent and received by the system.

I can't let go of my paranoia. I always think there is some super spy chip on these that will totally collect all data. I would definitely monitor the destination and source of every packet sent and received by the system.

It's silly to be worried about a sketchy Chinese board using recycled chipsets having spy features when normal Intel motherboards for over a decade have had the IME in both the chipset and CPU. It's a walled fortress black box with its own MAC address that can be addressed even when the computer is off but powered, hibernating or in sleep mode. Numerous remote exploits are known that can own the IME and many are not patched and never will be patched. Once the IME is owned on a computer, it can do all sorts of things covertly, basically a computer inside your computer with bare metal access to everything.

AMD has a similar technology called PSP (Platform Security Processor), which is an ARM core integrated into most AMD CPUs since 2013, which also has several known exploits.

Neither technology can be completely disabled because they're required for bringing up the CPU at power up. Even with the "IME Cleaner" which disabled all non-essential functions of IME, exploits are still known which only require the basic CPU bring up modules.

It's silly to be worried about a sketchy Chinese board using recycled chipsets having spy features when normal Intel motherboards for over a decade have had the IME in both the chipset and CPU...

Excellent point. You have not eased my paranoia. At all.

i would buy and review one of these no name boards if I could find one with a modern chipset. I may still do it anyway as I still have at least one 5960X left.

i would buy and review one of these no name boards if I could find one with a modern chipset. I may still do it anyway as I still have at least one 5960X left.
Yeah, I do not know what chipset is in it. It was cheap and it is just hanging up in my mining closet doing DC work.

Yeah, I do not know what chipset is in it. It was cheap and it is just hanging up in my mining closet doing DC work.

I've looked around and I haven't found any of them that have newer chipsets than X99 or H87.

I ordered some memory for it. I would like to run quad channel just for fun so hopefully the sticks come in soon.

Linus has lot's of fun with chinese motherboards like here

I'm kind of wondering what kind of problems I might run into or whether or not the thing would even make it through testing.

Linus has lot's of fun with chinese motherboards like here

Wow. That is insane! It did not make Intel look good. Yeah, it was slower with DDR3, though they did not have the fastest DDR3.
$50 is pretty good for the 3.0 MB that would support up to a 9900k and below.

Back