Chinese Tech Giant Tencent’s Office Party Featured Simulated Blowjobs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tencent’s PR department definitely had to prove their worth this week, as a video leaked demonstrating “the pervasive sexism, discrimination and hazing that still exists in Chinese corporate culture.” I am not embedding the video (you can hit the link for that), but only because the thumbnail is potato quality.

Chinese internet giant Tencent is facing a major public relations crisis after a video leaked online from one of the company's year-end parties showing a pair of female workers on their knees in front of male colleagues on stage in a lewd game meant to suggest oral sex. In the 7-second long video, the two female employees are seen trying to use their teeth to open a bottle of water that is wedged between the legs of the male workers as their coworkers in the audience cheer them on. The footage was shot at a party held by the company's instant messaging department before the annual Chinese New Year break.

I don't know how to look upon this... on one way, I can look as an american older male and say "Disgust" and all that. But really, I'm not apart of Chinese Corporate Culture. Culture, being the key wording. I can also look upon the Philippine's culture eating "Balut". Fertilized duck egg, partly developed embryo and impart my american culture on that as well and say "Disgust".

What I'm trying to say is that judging someone else's culture from the outside needs to be judged carefully.

Now, going back to my american culture - Tar and feather the men! They should've done it behind closed doors like all the other companies.

I don't know how to look upon this... on one way, I can look as an american older male and say "Disgust" and all that. But really, I'm not apart of Chinese Corporate Culture. Culture, being the key wording. I can also look upon the Philippine's culture eating "Balut". Fertilized duck egg, partly developed embryo and impart my american culture on that as well and say "Disgust".

What I'm trying to say is that judging someone else's culture from the outside needs to be judged carefully.

Now, going back to my american culture - Tar and feather the men! They should've done it behind closed doors like all the other companies.
Did you just compare the disgust from eating food to that of two women getting on their hands and knees at an expo and simulating a BJ? Getting a BJ and eating food are two totally separate things. :D (I was totally going somewhere else with this but the joke just came out instead.)

And just a short distance away women are being pissed on, having men jerk off all over them, trying to see how much money they can collect in their cleavage... all on tv game shows. The culture over there is much different than other parts of the world. Does it make it right or wrong? It is their culture so we can't really say, it is just different to ours.

Having two daughters, this sort of sexualization in public/work is completely unacceptable.
I agree, as there is no indication that these women received consent from the men that were forced to stand there and be subject to their rabid sexual urges or lose their jobs. Hopefully these lewd women are fired before they can sexually assault more of their coworkers.

Having two daughters, this sort of sexualization in public/work is completely unacceptable. It's just plain wrong.

Well, just don't ship em off to China, and they'll be ok, or most of Asia for that matter.

Having no daughters, this doesn't bother me at all. Blowjobs are awesome

Always about the women. What about all the poor men in the US that get smothered with tits when they try helping out the poor unfortunate women at some bars that can't afford a shirt? Or the old ritual of removing your new wife's garter belt with your teeth?

You'd think we wouldn't have such a population problem given that the media sure likes to make it sound like women hate sex.

Always about the women. What about all the poor men in the US that get smothered with tits when they try helping out the poor unfortunate women at some bars that can't afford a shirt? Or the old ritual of removing your new wife's garter belt with your teeth?

You'd think we wouldn't have such a population problem given that the media sure likes to make it sound like women hate sex.

Nice trying to equate those United States of America with "People's Republic of China."
protip: let's seriously don't ever do that. Projecting American situation using their context when US simply doesn't have the one child policy or the Deng Xiaoping opening legacy just doesn't fly.

Nice trying to equate those United States of America with "People's Republic of China."
protip: let's seriously don't ever do that. Projecting American situation using their context when US simply doesn't have the one child policy or the Deng Xiaoping opening legacy just doesn't fly.
Huh?

Oh, you heard me. Their whole problem with 'women' when it comes to PRC aren't the same as US with the whole "population problem given that the media sure likes to make it sound like women hate sex."

PRC is a place where there's a demographic imbalance because that one-child policy and traditional Primogeniture practice. This, coupled with the nouveau riche mentality, have led to a completely different picture than what's in USA. If US has trophy wife problems, then PRC has it as an epidemic. For the Chinese, it's more of a "girls are either fighting for the rich guys or they are married off overseas".

someone point to me the gun held against their heads.
I think it's more the implied message of "Regardless of how you perform at your job, you better be comfortable with the company culture of getting on your knees and giving symbolic blowjobs in order to work here" maybe not being such a helpful precedent for a tech company. Of course it's all in good fun; it's not like it helps creates an atmosphere where male superiors can take advantage of female subordinates sexually in order for them to get a raise, keep their job, etc., because that never happens in the workplace.

I think it's more the implied message of "Regardless of how you perform at your job, you better be comfortable with the company culture of getting on your knees and giving symbolic blowjobs in order to work here" maybe not being such a helpful precedent for a tech company. Of course it's all in good fun; it's not like it helps creates an atmosphere where male superiors can take advantage of female subordinates sexually in order for them to get a raise, keep their job, etc., because that never happens in the workplace.

all that from a 7 second video.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Based on a fifteen second video, when for all we know the girls were tipsy from wine and it was all their idea in the first place and they pressured the men into doing it. Men which might even be their subordinates for all we know. I know at our Christmas party we had a girl at our office get drunk and hit on a coworker hardcore hanging all over him and being touchy feely, and the world didn't collapse.

Meanwhile, while we are outraged about some coworkers appearing to have fun and letting loose afterhours in China, we don't mind that in Europe they are promoting the hijab, a symbol of Islamic suppression of women, as they import hundreds of thousands of people from true oppressive patriarchal muslim cultures where women are considered fair game to be raped if they go out uncovered alone without a male chaperone. Nor do we seem to care about women being kidnapped from villages and forced to marry or FGM being carried out daily in Islamic parts of Africa and the middle-east. Heck, we don't even care when we have politicians like Hillary in bed with the Saudis and other gulf tyrannies that REALLY oppress women and homosexuals that are donating millions of dollars to her foundation.

Nope, lets pick on some Chinese letting loose, even though we don't even have the full context, because we all know how Chinese women are the gold standard of oppression in the world. :rolleyes:

looks like conjecture from the perpetually offended to me.
The bottom half mostly is, but you have to figure it says something about the company atmosphere if they're performing virtual blowjobs up on stage. To put it in perspective, I'd be surprised if this were to happen at a Microsoft or Apple company party.

The bottom half mostly is, but you have to figure it says something about the company atmosphere if they're performing virtual blowjobs up on stage. To put it in perspective, I'd be surprised if this were to happen at a Microsoft or Apple company party.

the whole thing is nothing but conjecture about the video, there are no facts and all opinion.

Based on a fifteen second video, when for all we know the girls were tipsy from wine and it was all their idea in the first place and they pressured the men into doing it. Men which might even be their subordinates for all we know. I know at our Christmas party we had a girl at our office get drunk and hit on a coworker hardcore hanging all over him and being touchy feely, and the world didn't collapse.
Well I think it's more the "performing blowjobs up on the stage at a company event" part. Of course any individual might do whatever they want, but it implies some things about the atmosphere with it happening on stage in front of everyone with multiple participants.

As for the rest of your post, that feels more like you want this thread to go on forever, going from "blowjobs at a tech party" to "Hillary in bed with the Saudis", yeah, of course a former presidential candidate influencing he Middle East is a little higher up on the priority list, but that seems like it would be a different thread...

the whole thing is nothing but conjecture about the video, there are no facts and all opinion.
Whatever, take what you want from it. The facts:

-women simulating blowjobs at a company party
-up on a stage in front of everyone
-is a tech company, not an adult entertainment one

To me that implies the company has an atmosphere that doesn't have a big problem with it, which is the sort that harrassment or exploitation is easier to get by in, but you're right, it is open to interpretation.

which is the sort that harassment or exploitation is easier to get by in, but you're right, it is open to interpretation.
Which makes you wonder, if the men were on their knees and tasked with removing a scrunchee from high up on their thighs, simulating oral sex, would its still be harassment and exploitation of the female employees?

Again, without context, we are making assumptions that the women are victims here, when it could have been their idea, and no one is making any complaints.

Do people really not have better things to do than constantly be offended on OTHER people's behalf?

Now if the story was that the female employees complained that they didn't want to do it but were pressured in to it or whatever, that's a whole different story, but people halfway across the world being offended on their behalf based on a few seconds of video with no context?

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Which makes you wonder, if the men were on their knees and tasked with removing a scrunchee from high up on their thighs, simulating oral sex, would its still be harassment and exploitation of the female employees?

Again, without context, we are making assumptions that the women are victims here, when it could have been their idea, and no one is making any complaints.

Do people really not have better things to do than constantly be offended on OTHER people's behalf?

Now if the story was that the female employees complained that they didn't want to do it but were pressured in to it or whatever, that's a whole different story, but people halfway across the world being offended on their behalf based on a few seconds of video with no context?
I would say either scenario looks very bad for a tech company. Also, if you're going to repeatedly talk about people being offended, why not reply to the people ACTUALLY being offended? I think it makes the company look bad and probably reinforces a bad precedent, but I'm not OFFENDED. I don't really care, I don't know these people. I just thought it seemed obtuse that people here see no problem with this at all for a major tech company and don't seem to understand how this influences the company culture (or is a direct result of it). Again, if you can easily see this happening at a company like IBM, Intel, etc. then I guess I'm out of touch with the tech industry.

I wonder if the 2 guys were happy about the whole thing? I mean, they look young and in the Asian corporate world, that means essentially slavery. Yeah, oh, the poor women, but we know nothing about this situation really....just a short video and our own cultural values and knowledge.

The point is, the whole thing is wrong for all 4 of them.

I could go either way on this issue.

On the one hand, I can see the western sensibilities being applied on a foreign culture argument, but at the same time, on the other hand I can also see the feminist argument (having a GF and a sister and having been raised by my mother).

Here's my take on this. The psychology of men and women are different. That's the bottom line. What a bunch of men do and think is funny or no big deal is one thing - but when women become involved, suddenly the exact same thing is NOT so funny or IS a big deal.

When you have a corporate culture where women are now involved (keep in mind, not so long ago, it used to be ALL male executives), making changes to corporate culture will be difficult. Look at the Wolf of Wallstreet .... now think about how far behind women's rights are in Asia ... not excusing the behavior but it is what it is, where it is.

Here's my take on this. The psychology of men and women are different. That's the bottom line. What a bunch of men do and think is funny or no big deal is one thing - but when women become involved, suddenly the exact same thing is NOT so funny or IS a big deal.
Because while racism and sexism is wrong, its important to remember that women are a monolith and all the same. /s

Its not possible that these two were total party girls, pressured the guys into it as being their idea, and the guys weren't so uptight as to make a big deal out of having fun afterhours. Why? Because women don't think that way! Only men do. But don't stereotype genders, that's wrong. :rolleyes:

As many people have said, this is 2nd, 3rd / however many party info. No one here was present there and then to know what actually happened.

With that in mind. What is the more likely scenario?

1) Slutty women who happen to be senior executives who set this all up and wanted to be on stage doing fake blowjobs OR ....

2) A bunch of older senior male executives asking junior executive or even non-executive females to go up on stage and perform some fake blowjobs?

Which of those scenarios is more likely? In Asia - a still in 2017 patriarchical culture?

I'm Asian myself and I know how women are still treated in many places there (even the "1st world" parts of Asia much less anywhere else) and I'm not going to try to be an apologist or deny that this type of thing still happens there. It does.

Which of those scenarios is more likely?
So if I show you a 15 second video with zero context where a black guy at a traffic stop gets shot, which is more likely, that the black guy is a criminal that did something threatening and got himself shot, or that the cop is a cold blooded murderer that shot him unprovoked? In the US - do black males not commit a disproportionate amount of crime? Or are racial stereotypes not OK and gender stereotypes OK?

What's wrong with simply saying "this is not news, we don't have context, move along"?

Also, prove you're Asian. Solve for N: FVN = PV(1 + i)N :p

I see where you are coming from man. When I can't see my actual argument going anywhere, I like to bring race / black people into the argument as well. It's so convenient even though it has no bearing on what people are talking about / the matter at hand :-D

Oh, you heard me. Their whole problem with 'women' when it comes to PRC aren't the same as US with the whole "population problem given that the media sure likes to make it sound like women hate sex."

PRC is a place where there's a demographic imbalance because that one-child policy and traditional Primogeniture practice. This, coupled with the nouveau riche mentality, have led to a completely different picture than what's in USA. If US has trophy wife problems, then PRC has it as an epidemic. For the Chinese, it's more of a "girls are either fighting for the rich guys or they are married off overseas".
Ummm.. OK?

I see where you are coming from man. When I can't see my actual argument going anywhere, I like to bring race / black people into the argument as well. It's so convenient even though it has no bearing on what people are talking about / the matter at hand :-D
Its called an analogy.

Making assumptions about a person based on identity politics and statistics is generally frowned upon. Why is it OK for you to act like women are a monolith or what is more likely for most women to make an uninformed assumption about a specific couple of people, but not say the exact same thing replacing gender with, say, race? We use race as an example, because I have a feeling you wouldn't entertain defending the latter.

I can draw pictures in MS paint if it helps, unless you're just pretending not to understand because its inconvenient and you don't have a retort about why you feel its justified to make assumptions about two women you have never met based on a 15 second video clip and probability/stereotypes.

I really don't care. This just shows as we all already know that the whole world has no morals.

Back