Chinese Physicists Teleport Photons Over 100km

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chinese physicist teleported photons over 100km? I'm not calling BS on this one but, if you look at the photons on the receiving end, they are just pirated versions of the originals. :D

The physicists, working from the University of Science and Technology of China in Shanghai, have again taken advantage of quantum entanglement for the purposes of moving an object from one place to another without ever moving in the space between. According to Technology Review, "The idea is not that the physical object is teleported but the information that describes it. This can then be applied to a similar object in a new location which effectively takes on the new identity."

A certain movie about a magician comes to mind (don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it by giving the title).

This has been understood for a long time. David Bohm created a thought experiment to disprove the "universal speed limit" so they rolled the concept of quantum entanglement into Copenhagen.

They aren't teleporting anything. They're simply determining the quantum state of a particle at a distance by examining the quantum state of a local particle.

This is limited, though, because they must emit from the same particle to guarantee their anti-correlation.... starting in the same place but going different directions... So It has been experimented with for quantum cryptography.

Have they done anything novel with the phenomenon? Or have they just repeated the Bohm experiment at a larger distance?

if this will bring faster internet speed in the future i am all for it.

It's more of a technical breakthrough. Previous record was 16 kilometers.

It's more of a technical breakthrough. Previous record was 16 kilometers.

The real development is their ability to keep track of the anticorrelated particles for longer periods of time.

Is it anything like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet whilst wearing a blindfold, riding a horse?

I'm not calling BS on this one but, if you look at the photons on the receiving end, they are just pirated versions of the originals.

I don't know if it's just because it's Friday afternoon but that was damn funny. :)

They're not really teleporting anything. They create a copy far away. Then, they kill the original photon. Then, they claim the copy is the original.

fly_poster.jpg

They're not really teleporting anything. They create a copy far away. Then, they kill the original photon. Then, they claim the copy is the original.
This makes much sense since the Chinese are known for copying things.

In an infinite universe that has already happened infinite times. :p

Not necessarily. An infinte number of bullets, horses and blindfolds means an infinite universe with infinite matter. Infinate matter means infinate chaos and heat, and that is clearly not the universe we live in.

Oh god.

The idea is not that the physical object is teleported but the information that describes it. This can then be applied to a similar object in a new location which effectively takes on the new identity."

feibtl.jpg

Dr Kevorkian would be proud , not only a means of instant death but of new life also.

Sorry i didnt get that blonde telegram you sent me.. could you resend it.

Let me get this straight the goal is to use synthetics to decompile then recompile organic structure ?
thus bringing order to chaos ?
hmm.. orga , mecha
orga , mecha

imagine that. , It never akerd to me to think of space as the thing that was moving "
Nice timing Scotty . Ive never beamed 3 people from 2 targets onto 1 pad before.that was pretty good.
Father . I am not our father, There are so few volcuns left we can not afford to ignore each other.
"since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving i shall simple say, good luck "

This has been understood for a long time. David Bohm created a thought experiment to disprove the "universal speed limit" so they rolled the concept of quantum entanglement into Copenhagen.

They aren't teleporting anything. They're simply determining the quantum state of a particle at a distance by examining the quantum state of a local particle.

This is limited, though, because they must emit from the same particle to guarantee their anti-correlation.... starting in the same place but going different directions... So It has been experimented with for quantum cryptography.

I think everyone knows that, Zang. :rolleyes:

Since when is duplication teleportation?

It's not duplication.
It's determination.

Because the two particles are anti-correlated... we know they don't have a defined state until the measurement is taken. However, we do know that whatever their state is must be anticorrelated to the partner particle (by conservation).

So when we make the measurement on one particle, we can instantly define the state of the related particle. Because they are entangled, the state of each can be known simultaneously regardless of the distance between them... So they're calling it "teleportation" of information.

In other news, academic fraud still a big problem in China...

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/LA21Ad01.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/world/asia/07fraud.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.economist.com/blogs/asiaview/2010/07/academic_fraud_china

"Early this year, after it was found that 70 papers on crystal structures submitted to an international journal by Chinese scientists had been fabricated, the Lancet medical journal called on China’s government to “assume stronger leadership in scientific integrity”. Measures taken so far, it suggested, had failed to get to the root of why some Chinese scientists lie. "

Remind me not to get teleported...don't want the "evil" me running around while the "good" me is basically dead.

Back