Chinese developer unveils new 64-core CPU for 8-processor servers

erek

[H]F Junkie
" Phytium’s Tengyun S2500 is without a doubt a tightly-packed chip, yet the developer does not disclose its transistor count. Meanwhile, the CPU consumes around 150W, up from 90W in case of the FT-2000+/64. Meanwhile, just like its predecessor, the Tengyun S2500 is produced using TSMC’s 16nm FinFET technology.

The new iteration of Phytium’s FTC660 microarchitecture as well as addition of L3 cache are expected to improve performance of the Tengyun S2500 compared to its predecessor, the FT-2000+/64, quite significantly, but the manufacturer yet has to present actual benchmark scores. In any case, up to an 8-way symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) capability support will open the new processor several lucrative markets.

Phytium is currently sampling the Tengyun S2500 CPU with partners that are developing servers on its base. The company plans to start mass production of the Tengyun S2500 in the fourth quarter of this year, so expect servers with this CPU inside to arrive in late 2020 or sometime in 2021."

https://www.techradar.com/news/bewa...veils-new-64-core-cpu-for-8-processor-servers

I wouldn't want a Chinese-designed CPU in my home even if it was the fastest CPU ever created. At least Intel's CPU bugs were a result of trying to cheat for extra performance, not back-doors mandated by a communist dictatorship.
You honestly think backdoors are due to being a communist dictatorship? pfffbt. Backdoors will be there so they can steal anything and everything they can of an intellectual nature.

You honestly think backdoors are due to being a communist dictatorship? pfffbt. Backdoors will be there so they can steal anything and everything they can of an intellectual nature.

Are the backdoors specifically due to the fact that China is ruled by an oppressive communist dictatorship? No, they are due to greed. However, that greed is enabled by the communist dictatorship, and the direct control they exert over companies in China. Most companies are a direct extension of the government, and for the other companies, they either comply, or they go away.

Last edited:
Your benevolent and fair [home country] has trained you all very well.
Yes, [the other country] is most certainly evil and greedy, and their ruling class is most certainly far more authoritarian than your country's ruling class.

When it comes down to it, I will just try it and record benchmarks, and note any unusual network activity.
Then I will know the truth.

Your benevolent and fair [home country] has trained you all very well.
Yes, [the other country] is most certainly evil and greedy, and their ruling class is most certainly far more authoritarian than your country's ruling class.

When it comes down to it, I will just try it and record benchmarks, and note any unusual network activity.
Then I will know the truth.

Despite your mocking tone, China is most definitely who we are saying they are. Ignore it to your own peril.

Are the backdoors specifically due to the fact that China is ruled by an oppressive communist dictatorship? No, they are due to greed. However, that greed is enabled by the communist dictatorship, and the direct control they exert over companies in China. Most companies are a direct extension of the government, and for the other companies, they either comply, or they go away.

Not that I am in any way in favor or backdoors for anyone or anything. But why are so many people convinced only the Chinese do this. If you believe Intels security flaws where all just woopsies and not features requested by our democratic governments I have a lovely bridge for sale currently spanning the Thames. Are Chinas biggest tech companies tied together with their Gov. Yes of course. So our the Untied States largest tech companies. Intel needs an export licence to sell xeons, which the US gov denies for countries like China. No doubt intel and amd chips contain sanctioned backdoors, retired NSA employees have said as much. The clipper chip died, but behind the scenes they simply found more discrete ways to do the same.

Going forward with companies like Apple taking complete control of their products from silicon to required software developer APIs. Sure many of those backdoors may perhaps be 100% corp greed related. Still governments requesting backdoors and loopholes to bypass things like encryption is hardly something done solely by the Chinese. Hell our own elected officials have stood on the floors of our various parliament/senate/congress floors and made rousing speeches in favor of hardware level backdoors, and they almost put it right out in the open under Clinton with the clipper.

Not that I am in any way in favor or backdoors for anyone or anything. But why are so many people convinced only the Chinese do this. If you believe Intels security flaws where all just woopsies and not features requested by our democratic governments I have a lovely bridge for sale currently spanning the Thames. Are Chinas biggest tech companies tied together with their Gov. Yes of course. So our the Untied States largest tech companies. Intel needs an export licence to sell xeons, which the US gov denies for countries like China. No doubt intel and amd chips contain sanctioned backdoors, retired NSA employees have said as much. The clipper chip died, but behind the scenes they simply found more discrete ways to do the same.

Going forward with companies like Apple taking complete control of their products from silicon to required software developer APIs. Sure many of those backdoors may perhaps be 100% corp greed related. Still governments requesting backdoors and loopholes to bypass things like encryption is hardly something done solely by the Chinese. Hell our own elected officials have stood on the floors of our various parliament/senate/congress floors and made rousing speeches in favor of hardware level backdoors, and they almost put it right out in the open under Clinton with the clipper.

And yet, when you share this, it seems just as likely that you are saying, QUICK! Look over there ------------> Heck, the Chinese were burning the documents in the consulate which strongly indicates spying. After all, what better way to keep something secret than to not put it on digital media.

And yet, when you share this, it seems just as likely that you are saying, QUICK! Look over there ------------> Heck, the Chinese were burning the documents in the consulate which strongly indicates spying. After all, what better way to keep something secret than to not put it on digital media.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not using a Chinese made phone or anything. I have no doubt gear made by chinese company is capable of being a spy tool. I am just not naive enough to believe stuff coming from US companies isn't doing the same. We know the US spies on their allies, they have been caught spying on leaders from everywhere from Canada to Germany. It just makes me chuckle seeing people get all bent about China doing it. Any country where this stuff is made... is going to have spy holes drilled in. The only question is who is drilling the holes the Chinese, the Americans or the Russians.... or some other smaller player.

I hope its not news to anyone that China spies on the US. The US spies on China. Everyone... heck even here in Canada we have spy departments. Yes I find it terrible that China spies on their own citizens as widely as they do. Of course our governments spy on their own citizens as well. Without a doubt with help from purpose created hardware features "flaws" in US designed hardware.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not using a Chinese made phone or anything. I have no doubt gear made by chinese company is capable of being a spy tool. I am just not naive enough to believe stuff coming from US companies isn't doing the same. We know the US spies on their allies, they have been caught spying on leaders from everywhere from Canada to Germany. It just makes me chuckle seeing people get all bent about China doing it. Any country where this stuff is made... is going to have spy holes drilled in. The only question is who is drilling the holes the Chinese, the Americans or the Russians.... or some other smaller player.

I hope its not news to anyone that China spies on the US. The US spies on China. Everyone... heck even here in Canada we have spy departments. Yes I find it terrible that China spies on their own citizens as widely as they do. Of course our governments spy on their own citizens as well. Without a doubt with help from purpose created hardware features "flaws" in US designed hardware.

Eh.

There's some false equivalency here. The Chinese government - and business and political culture in general - is completely devoid of ethics or morals. In terms of malicious intent, I do not believe China and the US are playing the same game. Not even the same sport.

Do you really not understand the difference between a democracy and a dictatorship?
A dictatorship is a democracy that voted itself out of existence. ;)

Megacorps do this, too - much like HP with many of their enterprise products, and proven so.

Everybody wants some?
1595779501290.png

1595779532861.png

I wouldn't worry about it, This 64-core ARM chip that also came out of China is pretty disappointing.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/8C-8T-Huawei-Kunpeng-920-powered-ARM-PC-offers-a-disappointing-performance-for-its-US-1-000-price-tag.480265.0.htmlA

The 8- core version dos the BMW render test i n 11 minutes...that's half the speed of a Ryzen 1.0 with the same number of cores. We only have to worry about Chinese custom cores gaining traction outside China if the rest of the CPU world stops trying for the next decade!

Last edited:
Eh.

There's some false equivalency here. The Chinese government - and business and political culture in general - is completely devoid of ethics or morals. In terms of malicious intent, I do not believe China and the US are playing the same game. Not even the same sport.

Yes as opposed to all those benevolent megacorps in the US that *checks notes* treats their employees like slaves, pay non-livable wages while giving CEOs millions, callously endanger people's lives, contribute to the massive class divide, are often incredibly racist and sexist, use their insane amounts of money to buy the government and get what they want, etc, etc, etc. You are quite blind if you think things like ethics or morals dictate things over here.

Edit: And as far as governments go. Yeah, let's not go there. We're starting to take pages out of dictatorship playbook.

Yes as opposed to all those benevolent megacorps in the US that *checks notes* treats their employees like slaves, pay non-livable wages while giving CEOs millions, callously endanger people's lives, contribute to the massive class divide, are often incredibly racist and sexist, use their insane amounts of money to buy the government and get what they want, etc, etc, etc. You are quite blind if you think things like ethics or morals dictate things over here.

Edit: And as far as governments go. Yeah, let's not go there. We're starting to take pages out of dictatorship playbook.

Yep, guess you proved China and the CPP can now be trusted fully, thanks. :)

I'm not saying that American businesses are bastions of morality and ethics. However, by comparison - yes, they are.

I'm not saying that American businesses are bastions of morality and ethics. However, by comparison - yes, they are.
Nod. "The world is analog", a professor once told me.

We can pretend its Lawful Good or GTFO, but that's just not how things work. There is the reality that sometimes you take Chaotic Good because the vector is still in the same half you care about.

#tabletopnerd

Boo, bad analogy, false equavelency, flag on the play.

Individual corporate ethics vs. government owned corperate ethics are too different to compare, and you've gone and thrown one of the worlds ethically worst governments into the equation.

You are just listing a bunch of Marxist talking points of your perceived evils of corporations. Corporations want profit, it's the point of their existence. There are benefits and detriments to that drive, and government can actually regulate their actions. China is an actual threat to not only us, but all our allies in the region as they do everything possible to unseat us as the world power. The top threat we face from corporations is the assistance they've given to China in their goal for short term profit. Greed? Racism? China has literal concentration camps where they have sterilized thousands of people and harvested their organs to sell. One would think if a person is to crusade against some nebulous supposed social justice sins, China would be ranked far higher on their list of evil than any corporation.

Last edited:
AMD: Neutral Good
Intel: Lawful Evil
Nvidia: Chaotic Neutral
Samsung: Lawful Neutral
Asus: Chaotic Good
Cooler Master: Chaotic Cool 😎

Joust: Lawful Neutral.

In Star Wars, I'd have had so many medals on my Imperial uniform, I could've been mistaken for a Technicolor disco ball.

...unless someone made a compelling argument for a better system to be in place.

It would probably have been some Rebellion girl that got my otherwise amazing life ended. Ugh!

Back