Chinese Company Suing Google Over Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
A Chinese company is suing Google saying the company’s name (in China) is too similar to its own and has harmed its operations.

A spokesman for Beijing Guge Science and Technology said similarities between its name and Google's commercial name have created confusion among people who, in trying to contact the search engine, mistakenly call Beijing Guge's office and disrupt work there.

jeez..why dont they just call it google, wrather than try to translate it..lol

Beijing Guge. :p

Is that anything like a Texas Hotplate?

What I hate about this story is two things...
  1. What IS the transliteration of Google in China that is causing the problems? They don't tell you
  2. WTF are people trying to call Google for?
I'm a journalism student and poorly written stories hurt my brain...

I have a request....

Here at [H], we need to impliment tags similiar to fark.com. This one would be **Dumbsss***

Google, and what looks to phonetically be "goo-guh"? Not that close, and really who gives a rats ass, they'll never win.

....Seems like the head of their legal department went to a U.S. school.
How to sue for astronomically stupid shit 101.

I don't understand .... if this company is that retarded, I have to make a retarded rebuttle ..... isnt Google pronounced Googre in china anyways ... that doesn't sound like their company name to me ....

"I'm so roneryyyyy .... Arec Barwin .... " - TAWP

Right now the name of Google in Chinese is 谷歌, which sort of means "valley song". Pronounced in the same exact way as the company that is suing them. It sounds like "goo guh".

What's funny is that before, Google's name was 古狗, which sort of means "old dog". Obviously they had to change that. It was pronounced sort of like "goo goooou".

Google, and what looks to phonetically be "goo-guh"? Not that close, and really who gives a rats ass, they'll never win.

....Seems like the head of their legal department went to a U.S. school.
How to sue for astronomically stupid shit 101.

Don't forget this is in china and US laws do not apply there, and the chinese gov will most likely back the home town boys.

Don't forget this is in china and US laws do not apply there, and the chinese gov will most likely back the home town boys.
Shyeah, China sends us a few tainted products, we rip off some of their company names; let's just call it even. ;)

how is that even remotely alike, either they translators suck or they have a problem with there RR's and somehow pronounced it google. If so, give them a smack in the face and re-educate that dumbasses

Shyeah, China sends us a few tainted products, we rip off some of their company names; let's just call it even. ;)

No one ripped off anyone's name here. Google was just trying to make a Chinese name (from existing Chinese characters) that sounds like Google and doesn't have a negative tone like "old dog". That was probably not an easy task.

I've lived in China for 2 months now and trust me, China is the one who does the ripping off. Of what you say? EVERYTHING.

All the Chinese do is copy stuff. They never think to invent their own crap. The leading Chinese soda company's bottles look remarkably like Coca-Cola bottles. It's almost impossible to find real (non pirated) movies, software, and music. There are fake iPods and technology products everywhere. There are clothes from every popular American clothing company (Abercrombie, North Face, Polo, Lacoste, etc.), except they are fakes. I once saw a fake KFC with some Chinese face instead of Colonel Sanders. A Chinese car company once made EXACT copies (but with crappy parts) of a popular GM model sold in China, and sold it for less. GM sued the company and get this... lost.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm home sick. But I'll be back to the states in a week. :)

P.S. I miss the sun. (You literally never see the sun over here, it's always foggy or smoggy.)

No one ripped off anyone's name here. Google was just trying to make a Chinese name (from existing Chinese characters) that sounds like Google and doesn't have a negative tone like "old dog". That was probably not an easy task.

I've lived in China for 2 months now and trust me, China is the one who does the ripping off. Of what you say? EVERYTHING.

All the Chinese do is copy stuff. They never think to invent their own crap. The leading Chinese soda company's bottles look remarkably like Coca-Cola bottles. It's almost impossible to find real (non pirated) movies, software, and music. There are fake iPods and technology products everywhere. There are clothes from every popular American clothing company (Abercrombie, North Face, Polo, Lacoste, etc.), except they are fakes. I once saw a fake KFC with some Chinese face instead of Colonel Sanders. A Chinese car company once made EXACT copies (but with crappy parts) of a popular GM model sold in China, and sold it for less. GM sued the company and get this... lost.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm home sick. But I'll be back to the states in a week. :)

P.S. I miss the sun. (You literally never see the sun over here, it's always foggy or smoggy.)

fussing over a bottle can?
You are a little whiney bitch.
you exaggerate a lot and tell many lies, just like the honorable president of your country.:D
It all depends where you live. The living cost of many city have been skyrocketing . I am sorry you cant afford a decent place and have to live in a piece of ghetto and whine like a bitch.

BTW, the american brand clothes are among the cheapest brand there, those clothes are either for pets of the richer or the farmers who migrate into the cities. .:D

Shop in a real department store or mall in Shanghai or Beijing. You won't find knockoffs, and the prices are right in line with American ones. If you go to some shitty flea market, of course you're going to find utter crap.

Last time Google caught red handed stealing a input software from a Chinese company, with exact the same signatory bugs that deliberately made by the creator.
this time it is caught stealing the name?
Goog is offcially dead over there, if not already.

fussing over a bottle can?
You are a little whiney bitch.
you exaggerate a lot and tell many lies, just like the honorable president of your country.:D
It all depends where you live. The living cost of many city have been skyrocketing . I am sorry you cant afford a decent place and have to live in a piece of ghetto and whine like a bitch.

BTW, the american brand clothes are among the cheapest brand there, those clothes are either for pets of the richer or the farmers who migrate into the cities. .:D

Oh really? What exactly did I lie about?

And why would you say I can't afford a decent place and I live in a ghetto? I live in a 4 star hotel right next to Xujiahui in Shanghai. Last time I checked Shanghai has the best living conditions in China. By the way, I never said the place I live (or China) is not a nice place.

I only referred to the absurd amount of pirated and fake/copied goods found all over China. And I realize that you can go into a real department store like the Grand Gateway and find genuine brand clothes. I never said you couldn't find nice clothes that aren't knockoffs. Again, I was just pointing at the extremely large amount of knockoffs you can find elsewhere, like in the fake markets.

I would say you obviously haven't been around China, but your grammar is so terrible that you couldn't be a native English speaker. And you're defending China, so you must be Chinese. Where exactly do you live in China?

It's kind of funny that you don't even know your own country.

Last time Google caught red handed stealing a input software from a Chinese company, with exact the same signatory bugs that deliberately made by the creator.
this time it is caught stealing the name?
Goog is offcially dead over there, if not already.

I see that you said "over there". So you're not even living here in China, yet you're lecturing me on what it's like here?

Back