Chinese Commuters Use Facial Recognition to Pay for Subway Tickets

cageymaru

Fully [H]
China is leveraging the power of 5G technology and facial recognition to improve its transportation infrastructure. At Shenzhen's Futian station, commuters will be able to use their face to pay for subway tickets. The ultra-fast 5G network provides a high quality network connection while lowering the cost of the subway equipment. This innovation allows the city's subway riders to "scan their faces on a tablet-sized screen mounted on the entrance gate and have the fare automatically deducted from their linked accounts." The new system is expected to increase the efficiency of the city's subway network as it handles up to 5 million rides per day. Chinese cities have become digitally savvy and its residents are ditching cash in favor of electronic payments with a smartphone. Chinese consumers pay for fried chicken at KFC with its "Smile to Pay" facial recognition system. Huawei Technologies backed the innovation laboratory that developed the technology.

"To use facial ticketing in the future, passengers will also need preregistration of their facial information and link their payment methods to their accounts, just like them making payments at the KFC restaurant," said a staff member at the Futian station's demonstration area in Shenzhen. Passers-by at the demonstration area in Futian station will see their information displayed on a big screen, including their facial photos captured by surveillance cameras, their gender, age, and the length of stay in the area.

Oh fuck off.
This is supposed to be to speed things up? Bullshit.
You want to speed up the subway, get rid of those pointless security checks at every stop. I don't know about Shenzhen, but the subway in my city has metal detectors and pat-downs at every entrance.

It's not like changing from holding a plastic card over a scanner on a turnstyle until it beeps to holding your face over a scanner until it beeps is saving much time.
This is nothing more than gov't tracking.
I bet you can't ride the subway if your credit score is too low.

Digitally savvy. No they are not. They are recklessly installing outdated stolen (Huawei) western tech with zero morals applied to it. Anyone just miss that last part about displaying information?

Given the slop in most facial recognition systems, wonder how many folks are getting billed for rides that a near match took?

I find this frightening, and it makes our country's trading of personal liberty for the gain of some personal safety even more disheartening. China is obviously doing this to contain bad actors, but I think this is over the top, and I doubt Steven Seagal has even been to China.

P.S. The idea that this version of China could become the dominant world power bothers me, but I would temper that by saying that I've liked every person from China that I've gotten to know. I would also say that the US has not been the beneficent world power we'd like to think we are.

just think, once they get facial recognition cameras installed EVERYWHERE and then connected to the governments quantum computers, well lets just say, i hope you're not an "enemy of the state". or even, uh haven't paid your taxes, or you lost your job and your credit card is due. because basically they can now not only track your every move, but they are recording it and have a history they can go back and watch everywhere you went and what you did at any time. this is some scary shit when you think about it. imo.

remember that movie "eagle eye"?

I find this frightening, and it makes our country's trading of personal liberty for the gain of some personal safety even more disheartening. China is obviously doing this to contain bad actors, but I think this is over the top, and I doubt Steven Seagal has even been to China.

P.S. The idea that this version of China could become the dominant world power bothers me, but I would temper that by saying that I've liked every person from China that I've gotten to know. I would also say that the US has not been the beneficent world power we'd like to think we are.

It really is scary, this is a totalitarian country that has been going harder and harder at totalitarianism since Pooh became supreme overlord. Now they're "opening up" their consumer base to outside companies increasing their economic power exponentially. They're starting to leverage their buying power and we just keep playing into their hands in the western world. China is already the world's most powerful economy, that 300 million strong consumer base is completely unmatched. The last thing we need is their political and military power following the same path.

It really is scary, this is a totalitarian country that has been going harder and harder at totalitarianism since Pooh became supreme overlord. Now they're "opening up" their consumer base to outside companies increasing their economic power exponentially. They're starting to leverage their buying power and we just keep playing into their hands in the western world. China is already the world's most powerful economy, that 300 million strong consumer base is completely unmatched. The last thing we need is their political and military power following the same path.

so few people understand this.

Till China starts believing their own shit and pokes the bear (the USA) and China's biggest consumer says fuck off, then watch China collapse faster then they went up. China is the parasite the USA is the host. China can not be as big as they are with out the US. The USA doesn't need China to survive, yes we would have some hardships till the USA tooled up for our needs.

USA is a sleeping giant, now who is going to be the dumbass that wakes us up?

Till China starts believing their own shit and pokes the bear (the USA) and China's biggest consumer says fuck off, then watch China collapse faster then they went up. China is the parasite the USA is the host. China can not be as big as they are with out the US. The USA doesn't need China to survive, yes we would have some hardships till the USA tooled up for our needs.

The irony of your own statement about believing their own shit is palpable.

Is the US going to nuke china? Flag mounted on blazing erection? A nuclear exchange that ends the modern world? Maybe an invasion? The world needs more slapstick, after all.

I mean, the US is almost 10% of China's export market, WHAT EVER SHALL THE RED MENACE DO!?!

Of course, China is about 8% of the US export market... Huh.

Will the west band together to take out the red menace? The US is too busy attacking her allies to ever hope to ride the lost good faith that lead to two separate wars in countries that never attacked her. TPP was the best shot we had at cuckolding Chinese ambitions and it was scrapped for bull shit right wing populism.

Countries that trade are more successful, they're more efficient and wealthier. The US isn't a sleeping dragon these days, it's too busy trying to hang itself from the ceiling of its cave.

Fun fact, china was there long before that little rebel upstart of a country USA came into being.

The irony of your own statement about believing their own shit is palpable.

Is the US going to nuke china? Flag mounted on blazing erection? A nuclear exchange that ends the modern world? Maybe an invasion? The world needs more slapstick, after all.

I mean, the US is almost 10% of China's export market, WHAT EVER SHALL THE RED MENACE DO!?!

Of course, China is about 8% of the US export market... Huh.

Will the west band together to take out the red menace? The US is too busy attacking her allies to ever hope to ride the lost good faith that lead to two separate wars in countries that never attacked her. TPP was the best shot we had at cuckolding Chinese ambitions and it was scrapped for bull shit right wing populism.

Countries that trade are more successful, they're more efficient and wealthier. The US isn't a sleeping dragon these days, it's too busy trying to hang itself from the ceiling of its cave.

I never said Nuke you did. We would just stop trading with them and watch them fall. They need us we do not need them.

And for topic related stuff: I seriously hate my iphone face recognition with a passion. I am imagining similar consumer grade quality in subway stations? After 3 tries do you have to put your password in there too?

Last edited:
I never said Nuke you did. We would just stop trading with them and watch them fall. They need us we do not need them.

So their exports fall by 10%.

US exports fall by 8%

The Chinese market is far more diverse than the US one. China's economy has 300 million consumers internally and it's growing, the United States has a shrinking middle class and a shrinking consumer base. Does the US threaten her allies to force them to stop trading with China? That's absolutely possible but that goes right back to hanging herself from the ceiling in the cave.

Stop drinking the damned Kool-Aid.

No. You're redirected to the train that goes to the gulog. One way. Enjoy your trip!

China doesn't seem to so much be into gulags as much as "re-education" or massive numbers of executions.

Like 10,000 a year that they admit to. Lord knows how many there actually are. China is a scary country.

Reactions: Madoc
like this

US exports fall by 8%

The Chinese market is far more diverse than the US one. China's economy has 300 million consumers internally and it's growing, the United States has a shrinking middle class and a shrinking consumer base. Does the US threaten her allies to force them to stop trading with China? That's absolutely possible but that goes right back to hanging herself from the ceiling in the cave.

wrong

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/china-mongolia-taiwan/peoples-republic-china
  • China was the United States' largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
  • U.S. goods imports from China totaled $505.5 billion in 2017, up 9.3% ($42.9 billion) from 2016, and up 57.3% from 2007. U.S. imports from are up 394% from 2001 (pre-WTO accession). U.S. imports from China account for 21.6% of overall U.S. imports in 2017.

wrong

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/china-mongolia-taiwan/peoples-republic-china
  • China was the United States' largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
  • U.S. goods imports from China totaled $505.5 billion in 2017, up 9.3% ($42.9 billion) from 2016, and up 57.3% from 2007. U.S. imports from are up 394% from 2001 (pre-WTO accession). U.S. imports from China account for 21.6% of overall U.S. imports in 2017.

You've got that backwards, percentage of imports to the US from China is not the same as percentage of exports from China to the US. That may seem strange but your source is the US ratios not the Chinese ones. The perspectives are flipped.

I was wrong too, though. According to that source the US is only 8% of China's export market. 8% of China's Exports accounts for 22% of US imports, that should tell you how massive the economic power imbalance is. China starting to leverage their consumer base to influence foreign companies and governments is potentially catastrophic for the west.

Now, don't get me wrong, all of these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, some put the US as high as 20% of China's export market. Nations are really good at lying about this shit. Unfortunately the United States has just run its worst trade deficit in 12 years, weakening its position and the position of the entire western world.

Last edited:
But only the USA had a virgin continent to loot and the means to do it. ;)

Easy to say, hard to do. It was the ideals of the people that fought the worlds best army and won, then turned this "virgin continent" into the best way of life and freedom this planet has ever seen. Ask yourself what would the world be like if the United States Of America NEVER existed?

Easy to say, hard to do. It was the ideals of the people that fought the worlds best army and won, then turned this "virgin continent" into the best way of life and freedom this planet has ever seen. Ask yourself what would the world be like if the United States Of America NEVER existed?
A much better place?

A much better place?

That's a wild exaggeration.

I'd miss the goofy bastards. I imported my wife from Texas, plus they've been the mongrel nation that given the world abso-fucking-lutely deranged yet kick ass food. Who the fuck deep fries water melon? Americans do! And you know what? It. is. Fucking. Awesome.

Not only that, but it was the USA that was the first country to allow many cultures to coexist in a single place with a legal guarantee of equality in their future prospects. Bag on American politicians all you want (and should) but Americans are great people. The ideals their nation was founded on are values that oppressed and persecuted people all over the world pursue at incredible personal cost. The Chinese population included.

Good stuff! Im hoping China can remove all traces of individualism and create the first real Borg society which we can all eventually join and we can finally get rid of all the anxiety that freedom brings with it. Wonderful.

US exports fall by 8%

According to COMTRADE China's exports to the US in 2017 accounted for 25% of their total exports. This number underestimates the total trade volume as it does not include the 28% of their trade to Hong Kong, Japan, S. Korea, and ASENG where Chinese parts are used in products that are in turn exported to the US. Accurate totals are difficult to come by but reasonable estimates put the total direct and indirect exports to the US at around 35%. This should be no surprise to anyone that looks at the "made in" markings on the products they purchase.

Unilaterally stopping trade with China would devastate both economies.

Why is everything ' a concern' for USA, its always a zero sum game.
The Chinese government is 'a concern' of 'THE CHINESE PEOPLE' if they are not knocking them down its becuase they don't TRULY want to. We don't need to be 'concerned' with them, and really most countries 'actions against their own people' aren't enough to warrant anybody's 'concern' yes there are some specific scenarios, mainly genocide of course. And yes, if the country asked for help.. military or aid, then yeah we or some other country can make whatever the case their concern.
Lately and in accelerated manner we are 'concerned' just about everyone with resources or everyone with some power... Its all bullshit and its all tainted 'concern' more like 100% tainted as its always been tainted, but perhaps there was some veneer here and the of real 'concern' in the past... Maybe.

In the US they will implement this 'to sell you things' and it will all be 'voluntary' ... And people will believe it no less!.

man.. the scariest thing about that whole article is the super bright pink train car.

WOW

Back