Chinese Budget VR Headset Hits The Market

HardOCP News

[H] News
At first I wanted to laugh at this Chinese VR headset but, after reading the specs, it doesn't look too bad for what it is...a knock off. This thing has a quad core 2.2GHz processor, Adreno 530 GPU, paired with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage all packed inside that Nintendo looking controller. It has a pair of 1,200 x 1,080 panels with a 90Hz refresh rate, a 5000mAh battery that last three hours and runs Android 6.0 with a hefty $525 price tag. It will be interesting to read the reviews on this thing.

I mean what can you play on it? Google cardboard apps?

It definitely won't be playing AAA PC titles, that's for sure.

It always cracks me up when some smaller Chinese company wants to play the "me too" game when it comes to consumer electronics. The end result product looks like they approached the same factory that made the product for someone else and asked "Hey, do you still have those plastic molds? Can you run another batch of them but in a different color or paint our logo on them instead?"

Those look like identical copies to the latest Sony Gear VR/Oculus and Sony Playstation Move controllers.

I bet money the motherboard inside is pulled straight from some other well known phone currently being sold.

Last edited:
It definitely won't be playing AAA PC titles, that's for sure.

It always cracks me up when some smaller Chinese company wants to play the "me too" game when it comes to consumer electronics. The end result product looks like they approached the same factory that made the product for someone else and asked "Hey, do you still have those plastic molds? Can you run another batch of them but in a different color or paint our logo on them instead?"

Those look like identical copies to the latest Sony Gear VR/Oculus and Sony Playstation Move controllers.

When you send your latest and greatest technology to another country to be manufactured for 10 cents on the dollar, then expect those people to not give a darn about your patents. What are the parent companies going to do? Move production to another poor country? Ha ha ha ha!

The reviews should be fun. The $525 price tag isn't too far off from the Rift. Yes, I know you need a computer, GPU, etc to run the Rift where this one has all that covered.

When you send your latest and greatest technology to another country to be manufactured for 10 cents on the dollar, then expect those people to not give a darn about your patents. What are the parent companies going to do? Move production to another poor country? Ha ha ha ha!
I'm fully aware of this. It doesn't make it any less funny that you and I can envision that exact conversation I mentioned being spoken on the other side of the planet in Mandarin.:ROFLMAO:

The reviews should be fun. The $525 price tag isn't too far off from the Rift. Yes, I know you need a computer, GPU, etc to run the Rift where this one has all that covered.

Hardware enthusiast card revoked. ;)

But seriously, the wireless battery and built hardware isn't going to run anything even close to impressive, you're going to need a computer for that. If this thing even allows you to hook it up to a computer (wouldn't that be hilarious? Hardware locked to Android games?)

The good thing about this device is that it operates untethered. I really dont think being stuck to a PC is going to work out long term for VR. Of course there arent any games available for Android that use motion tracking for roomscale, but there could be one day. The visual quality of the games available for Rift/Vive look no better than a mobile app anyway.

The good thing about this device is that it operates untethered. I really dont think being stuck to a PC is going to work out long term for VR. Of course there arent any games available for Android that use motion tracking for roomscale, but there could be one day. The visual quality of the games available for Rift/Vive look no better than a mobile app anyway.

hahaha...Project Cars and Assetto Corsa look very good on the DK2 , and it makes for a pretty good driving experience , Alien Isolation is pretty badazz on the DK2 as well...I am pretty sure they will be looking better than "a mobile app game" on the new Rift...hahaha

The only thing I am going to agree with you on is that eventually the computer will be built into the goggles / headset or they will work wirelessly perfectly. The rest of what you say sounds like you ate a bowl of stupid for breakfast.

Particularly about the graphics.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

But I agree. It's gonna be garbage. The VR firms that are doing this have spent millions on development. A copy is only going to go so far.

The only thing I am going to agree with you on is that eventually the computer will be built into the goggles / headset or they will work wirelessly perfectly. The rest of what you say sounds like you ate a bowl of stupid for breakfast.

Particularly about the graphics.
Uhh, have you actually seen any rift games? They are all low poly high contrast simplistic looking kiddie games. The most sophisticated demo to date is the Portal science lab and that is running on Source which is like 10 years old. High end cellphones of today can probably render scenes from Portal just fine. We want to see Frostbyte tech in VR. Nothing has come out yet, and of those titles that will come out, they are all being designed by Indie devs for the most part, so we wont be seeing Battlefield level quality of detail in VR.

Uhh, have you actually seen any rift games? They are all low poly high contrast simplistic looking kiddie games. The most sophisticated demo to date is the Portal science lab and that is running on Source which is like 10 years old. High end cellphones of today can probably render scenes from Portal just fine. We want to see Frostbyte tech in VR. Nothing has come out yet, and of those titles that will come out, they are all being designed by Indie devs for the most part, so we wont be seeing Battlefield level quality of detail in VR.

You really don't understand what it takes to run vr do you? The bar is set much higher, you are rendering at a resolution that is substantially higher than 1080p and you have to do it at a 90fps minimum, that's not going to get you much with a cell phone when a gtx 970 can bog in some games.

what does it matter when the panels look like crap anyway? the games that are visually complex look terrible on the vive when the simple polygon games that look visually simplistic look great because the resolution on all these displays is aweful

You really don't understand what it takes to run vr do you? The bar is set much higher, you are rendering at a resolution that is substantially higher than 1080p and you have to do it at a 90fps minimum, that's not going to get you much with a cell phone when a gtx 970 can bog in some games.
The point is this is why tethered VR is a crapshoot, because there is no benefit to being stuck to your PC. All that hardware is going to waste. We want VR, but not if it looks like PS2 graphics. If we're going to get shitty VR games then at least make them comfortable to play, such as with a fully untethered solution on a mobile platform that can handle it.

The point is this is why tethered VR is a crapshoot, because there is no benefit to being stuck to your PC. All that hardware is going to waste. We want VR, but not if it looks like PS2 graphics. If we're going to get shitty VR games then at least make them comfortable to play, such as with a fully untethered solution on a mobile platform that can handle it.
Your argument pretty much is the same as a pc vs mobile gaming argument. They are different demographics, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be vr that is portable. I also think that the tethered vr I gave now for my pc is mind blowing. Look, I game on a 40" 4k tv, I know first hand how different that resolution difference is between a oculus rift or vive is. The added immersion makes up for it. Ignoring vr until you have high end graphics in portable devices for VR doesn't make sense when it works now.

Back