Chinese AI Beats 15 Doctors in Tumor Diagnosis Competition

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In another victory for the virtual kind, an AI developed by the Artificial Intelligence Research Centre for Neurological Disorders at Beijing Tiantan Hospital beat 15 of China’s top doctors by a margin of two to one in a trial of diagnosing brain tumors and predicting hematoma expansion. “BioMind was correct 87 percent of the time, compared to 66 percent by the medical professionals.”

The AI also only took 15 minutes to diagnose the 225 cases, while doctors took 30. In regards to predicting brain hematoma expansion, BioMind was victorious again, as it was correct in 83 percent of cases, with humans managing only 63 percent. Researchers trained the AI by feeding it thousands upon thousands of images from Beijing Tiantan Hospital’s archives. This has made it as good at diagnosing neurological diseases as senior doctors, as it has a 90 percent accuracy rate.

Watson from IBM did the same thing years ago. Even came up with better treatments as well.

I don't understand this news. It said "the system defeated a team comprised of 15 of China’s top doctors by a margin of two to one". It also said, "BioMind was correct 87 percent of the time, compared to 66 percent by the medical professionals." That's not 2 to 1. The only 2 to 1 margin is the time to diagnose, but I would care more about the accuracy of the diagnosis than the time to diagnose. The only conclusion I can make is that CHINESE AI beats the 15 selected CHINESE doctors in the diagnosis of brain tumor.

Cool, so pretty soon in trauma patients I can just ask if AI cleared the cervical spine instead of some silly neurosurgeon.

Hope that AI has good malpractice insurance since the old farts that usually go for jury duty barely trust their rotary phones yet. ;)

Awesome, I look forward to this technology not driving down the costs of medical procedures in the near future!

All that money they save can go to pay for at least a few raises to the wasteful admin staff. Because **** you, that's why. ;)

I don't understand this news. It said "the system defeated a team comprised of 15 of China’s top doctors by a margin of two to one". It also said, "BioMind was correct 87 percent of the time, compared to 66 percent by the medical professionals." That's not 2 to 1. The only 2 to 1 margin is the time to diagnose, but I would care more about the accuracy of the diagnosis than the time to diagnose. The only conclusion I can make is that CHINESE AI beats the 15 selected CHINESE doctors in the diagnosis of brain tumor.

Not sure why do you wrote CHINESE in caps.
AIs beating human doctors in image diagnostics is nothing new, the more complex the image, the worst humans perform.
Breast cancer screening results were a landslide in favor of AI.
Do not discount time to diagnosis on brain bleeding.

The humans were wrong 33% of the time.
The AI was wrong 13% of the time.

The error rate of the humans was a bit over twice that of the AI.

Awesome, I look forward to this technology not driving down the costs of medical procedures in the near future!

All that money they save can go to pay for at least a few raises to the wasteful admin staff. Because **** you, that's why. ;)
Oh no doubt it will raise cost while making it easier on the doctors and hospitals.

AIs beating human doctors in image diagnostics is nothing new, the more complex the image, the worst humans perform.

yep, and them working on making even better predictions is good news for us all.

this is not an area where you want a missed diagnoses because someone was having a bad day, which we all do have.

> BioMind was victorious again, as it was correct in 83 percent of cases
> it has a 90 percent accuracy rate.

Wait.

Back