China Wireless ISPs

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
Not sure where to place this, but this seemed like the most appropriate place...

A friend is planning to visit China soon and he plans to bring along a laptop with him to keep tabs on his stocks. He also plans to buy and sell stocks depending on the price, news, etc. Now, being this is what he wants, he wanted to have access to the internet 24/7 where ever he is and this would seem to require a wireless isp. Local free hotspots i'm afraid is just not secure for what he plans to use it for, and so a paid wireless isp with some security is needed.

Now, the problem arises when I was trying to google for certain wireless isps that service China, but I cannot seem to find one. I keep finding large companies that provide this service for large businesses and not the single computer user. Does China provide wireless ISP service to the single person? If so, who and where can he sign up for this?

Thanks

- hito

Have you missed just about any news paper the has a tech section in the last year or so mentioning the "great firewall of china"

Any internet access he touches on the mainland, not positive about HK, will be closely monitored. If he gets his connections (Encrypted VPN) set up correctly it should be a non-issue and any connection available will do the job.

The big sites that are states side (CNN, NYTimes, Yahoo Finance) were pretty reliable when I was in Beijing, Shanghai, HongZhou, and Hong Kong last June, but I wouldnt do my banking on any of those connections. :eek:

Thanks for the reply dx2. Yep, I am aware of the "firewall" of China, and how it likes to "protect" its people from the internet. However the sites that were being blocked were sites that goes against the government and the likes I believe. The website he will be accessing will just be a brokerage (TD Waterhouse) and nothing else.

As to the wireless provider that I did happen to find was this one www.boingo.com . I called them up to see if they had any encrypted access or sorts and the tech support said that they had a VPN but didnt know the encryption strength off the top of his head. After some searching, it seems that the encryption strength is 128bits.

I wouldn't want to trade and sorts over in the mainland either, but he HAS to... I think he's addicted to the market :p

- hito

What about Verizon wireless data plan? They have a global data plan thats supported in China.

Oh, was not aware that Verizon also offered their wireless services overseas too. Thanks Ockie, will check that out.

- hito

Back