China Wants to Buy Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
China is interested in buying a billion dollar chunk of Facebook? What good could come of allowing China to purchase any portion of Facebook?

According to the business news website, Beijing approached a fund that buys stock from former Facebook employees to see if it could assemble a stake large enough “to matter.” Moreover, Citibank is rumored to be trying to acquire as much as $1.2 billion of stock for two sovereign wealth funds, one from the Middle East and the other Chinese.

Yeah, that wouldn't be one of the biggest intelligence/espionage/propaganda coups ever...

The Chinese government wants to own a big part of something that for whatever reason people share every detail of their lives on? Why am I not surprised?

Also, incredibly ironic that you can't access Facebook in China (or at least it was blocked for quite some time, not sure about now); yet the people's money is being used in an attempted purchase.

Maybe they want to learn about the privacy constraints that have been put in place? /sarcasm

Here comes to resurrection of MySpace! There is no way I'd let my family store their personal communiation on servers controlled by the world's largest opponent of personal liberty.

Data accessible only by "Friends?" Not if big red takes over.

China has a lot of potential, a lot of things worthy of being optimistic about. But I'm no where near ready to invite them to dinner.

Also, incredibly ironic that you can't access Facebook in China (or at least it was blocked for quite some time, not sure about now); yet the people's money is being used in an attempted purchase.

so ironic lol. either for investment or learn more about the biggest Social network and block it to it's people?

Let em buy it, it's only got a year or two before it goes the way of myspace, Google+ looks better.

Let em buy it, it's only got a year or two before it goes the way of myspace, Google+ looks better.

...you'll be singing the same tune three years from now about Google+, rooting for whatever new, 'cool' social media site is on the horizon. :rolleyes:

Umm, owning stock does not give them technical access to FB.

That is the nature of fads, yes.

That's just my point - I hate how people use a site religiously and then as soon as something newer pops up they ridicule their "old" site as if they never wanted anything to do with said site. It's just annoying the way some people act like a website in itself is a fad when in reality THEY are the fad.

*shrugs*

Google Plus sucks. If china buys facebook, it will suck more than myspace and google plus. china wants to impose its controlling government on the whole world!

I would think that if China bought into Facebook they would want to get at the personal information. They may not get access legally to the customer user base but it is one heck of a foot in the door.

Why don't China do what they do best? Copy? They can hack into NSA servers, but why can't they hack Facebook and get all of the code needed to run it?

I love the idea, it will make FB go away quicker. Buy, buy, buy (Jim Cramer voice).

...you'll be singing the same tune three years from now about Google+, rooting for whatever new, 'cool' social media site is on the horizon. :rolleyes:

maybe, maybe not. I dislike facebook for the reasons highlighted in the article, who wants everybody you know who's on your list knowing every last thing you do? I barely post on it because its difficult to control who sees what. Added to which I don't trust Zuckerbag with my info.

Myspace failed because it was poorly coded and ran badly.

Nobody has got social networking down correctly yet.

That's just my point - I hate how people use a site religiously and then as soon as something newer pops up they ridicule their "old" site as if they never wanted anything to do with said site. It's just annoying the way some people act like a website in itself is a fad when in reality THEY are the fad.

*shrugs*

Hark at you!!

Let 'em buy it! Its value is in its usage, watch it die after China buys it...

maybe, maybe not. I dislike facebook for the reasons highlighted in the article, who wants everybody you know who's on your list knowing every last thing you do? I barely post on it because its difficult to control who sees what. Added to which I don't trust Zuckerbag with my info.

Myspace failed because it was poorly coded and ran badly.

Nobody has got social networking down correctly yet.

Myspace failed because it allowed fake identities and the customization of the look of each page. According to someone who bought it...

I don't understand all the hate against Facebook. Its not like we're all forced to use it.

There are many services that I dislike using, doesn't mean I wish to see them crash and burn. I just simply don't use them.:eek:

maybe, maybe not. I dislike facebook for the reasons highlighted in the article, who wants everybody you know who's on your list knowing every last thing you do? I barely post on it because its difficult to control who sees what.

lolwut? When you post something it's as simple as selecting who on your friend list you do or don't want to see a post. You can make that change global as well as permanent with one click. It works very well and it's not rocket science. Aside from that - maybe it's best to just NOT post certain things, anyways.

Chinese food, aside from being mostly cat and dog meat, contains mind-control drugs that lay dormant in the body until triggered through internet media or social networks.

The worst part about it is...I don't know if i'm really kidding.:confused: :eek:

Didn't you see Serenity?:p

Chinese food, aside from being mostly cat and dog meat, contains mind-control drugs that lay dormant in the body until triggered through internet media or social networks.

The worst part about it is...I don't know if i'm really kidding.:confused: :eek:

Can't stop the signal, Mal.

The spice Melange also controls the mind ;-)

lolwut? When you post something it's as simple as selecting who on your friend list you do or don't want to see a post. You can make that change global as well as permanent with one click. It works very well and it's not rocket science. Aside from that - maybe it's best to just NOT post certain things, anyways.

You can't control what others post until after the fact. Everybody and their Mom is on my facebook including people I work with. Whether it was a good idea to add them, maybe not, but then it is kind of rude to deny a friend request from someone you know. Someone tags you in a bad photo when your out drinking or doing something else (and everybody nowadays is an incessant camera whore). Everyone knows about it. Try and delete people, they get offended, block them from seeing your wall or photos, they get offended. The controls aren't easy to use or intuitive.

Facebook doesn't work very well, everybody is on it whereas they weren't on myspace. There should be simple intuitive controls to keep groups of people separate from each other. That is what google+ is promising, whether it delivers it, we shall see.

*shrugs*

Haha, nested fads.

However, it is widely known that tinfoil hats protect against the signals that activate said mind-control drugs.

Back