cageymaru

Fully [H]
China has devised a facial-recognition smart lock that allows the government to crackdown on illegal subletting in public housing. Like most countries, China has limited space and resources to dedicate to public housing for older and poor citizens. In many instances, these tenants are illegally subletting their residences to others and the government wants to crackdown on these practices.

By installing the facial-recognition smart locks (example) in housing projects, China can compare the facial information of visitors to its central database to recognize tenants and deny access to strangers. This measure is expected to improve the security of public housing and stop illegal subletting. If a person is convicted of illegal subletting, their information in the national credit system will reflect their crimes, and they will be ineligible for low-income housing for five years. Housing in Beijing runs about $730 a month.

In addition, the face scanning system can look out for aged residents, particularly those living alone, according to the report. If a senior resident has not been in or out of their home for a set period of time, the system will automatically prompt the estate management to check in. The move is the latest example of the use of facial recognition technology by the Chinese authorities to keep an eye on its citizens. One Beijing park even installed toilet paper dispensers equipped with facial recognition functions to discourage visitors from taking too much loo roll.

Counting people's poop with facial recognition. Incredible. Who needs fiction. Slap in some coherent commentary, a few intense tracks for the conspiracy parts, and you have the new zeitgeist.

Might not be able to wipe your butt if your social rating is too low! That might make a stinky situation!
They'll probably just use their hands to take care of the dirty business then (hopefully) wash them in the sink afterwards.

Well the article I was going to post is a bit old, so I'll just link it here for fun. :)

Facial recognition toilet paper dispenser rolled out at Shanghai public bathroom!
http://shanghaiist.com/2018/06/08/f...enser-rolled-out-at-shanghai-public-bathroom/

Face scan to cut wastage of free toilet paper.
https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1806086002/

Enjoy!

Nice, this is actually an improvement. TP is not normally provided in public bathrooms in China.
Normally some is selling little packs.

Well the article I was going to post is a bit old, so I'll just link it here for fun. :)

Facial recognition toilet paper dispenser rolled out at Shanghai public bathroom!
http://shanghaiist.com/2018/06/08/f...enser-rolled-out-at-shanghai-public-bathroom/

Face scan to cut wastage of free toilet paper.
https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1806086002/

Enjoy!

Man, the toilet paper problem is no joke. The city I live in rolled out free toilet paper in public restrooms but it was canceled within 2 months iirc. People were stealing it faster than it could be refilled. Seriously.
They've gone though 1,500 rolls in 7 days at a single park in southern China.
If it's not nailed down and nailed down well, it will be stolen in China. It's still a nation of uneducated, ill-mannered peasants.
It's awful. You have to carry asswipes all the time and of course, the day you don't have any is the day you get the squirts from the crappy food and have to unload in a filthy squatter while praying your pants don't take splash damage.

1500 rolls in 7 days
We call these people "nongs"
My fair city spent nearly $240,000 on TP in only 24 locations in less than a month

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Nice, this is actually an improvement. TP is not normally provided in public bathrooms in China.
Normally some is selling little packs.
Normally, you're on your own.
Not sure where you live in China that you have people selling little packs of TP by restrooms, but I've never seen it.

They'll probably just use their hands to take care of the dirty business then (hopefully) wash them in the sink afterwards.
Wash their hands? Haha! Unlikely.
There is rarely any soap in restrooms. There is rarely any hot/warm water. There is rarely any way to dry your hands.
If you're lucky, the guy you just shook hands with or served you food ran his hands under a cold water tap for a half of a second than shook them around like he has palsy.

Normally, you're on your own.
Not sure where you live in China that you have people selling little packs of TP by restrooms, but I've never seen it.
Most shopping malls and some public toilets on streets. I've visited most major cities and tourist spots.

Most shopping malls and some public toilets on streets. I've visited most major cities and tourist spots.
Odd, it seems that once again, you have the exact opposite experiences in China as I have.
Mall restrooms are in otherwise empty corridors devoid of vendors of any kind though sometimes they actually have toilet paper in the stalls and if you're lucky...soap and a hand dryer too!
Unfortunately, China is not just one big upscale shopping mall.

Silly as this sounds, this does become a problem here in San Francisco with rent controlled places. People living for decades at one place have rents that are very small compared to a similar sized place elsewhere in the city, and people do sub-lease rooms or the whole apartment to someone else and make money on the back end. Wouldn't surprise me if this happened in other urban cities with really high rents and rent control legislation, or with section 8 housing, get a place with section 8, rent it out, live somewhere much more affordable (or where your dollar goes further)

Sounds like China abandoned the One Child Policy too soon.
That policy really only helped keep the poor populations in check, anyone with money happily had more than one kid. Plus it wasn't quite as successful since so many girls where put up for adoption because Chinese need "man child" simply due to the culture and needing/wanting someone to take care of them when they get older.

Back