China to Cancel College Majors That Don’t Pay

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
China will soon be taking steps to curb their jobless rate at the source. The Ministry of Education plans to cut the college majors that don’t lead to paying jobs. The Ministry will soon begin evaluating employment rates and the college majors which they deem unemployable to determine which programs are to be cut. The plan obviously is not popular in academia and faces resistance from university professors and students alike.

None of the reports specified which majors would be cut under the new rules, but there are signs that some universities have already started taking steps to decrease the size of programs that don’t result in paid positions.

Bad move China.... All the great civilizations in history had thriving arts and cultural programs

I always thought it was a bit silly you had to wait all the way till your second year of college to actually learn about what you want to do. That should happen in jr high and highschool, by the time you get to college you should be ready to get a masters in 4 years.

good move China, I don't like you so please continue shooting your feet.

China will soon be taking steps to curb their jobless rate at the source. The Ministry of Education plans to cut the college majors that don’t lead to paying jobs. The Ministry will soon begin evaluating employment rates and the college majors which they deem unemployable to determine which programs are to be cut. The plan obviously is not popular in academia and faces resistance from university professors and students alike.

Well, this all makes sense. I mean, naturally, right? Because life is all about making money, and since nothing else matters (as we should all just be happy and quiet cogs in a great machine), we really ought to be teaching skills-that-pay and setting children on career paths as early as possible.

Or, heck, while we are at it, why not just start putting all those lazy children to work. I mean, what are they doing in their free time? English literature homework? Art projects?? Pfah - they won't need those skills to make money when they grow up! Cancel those programs, and use the time gained to teach them to push a broom!

Or, wait, no...this is a TERRIBLE idea...

Bad move China.... All the great civilizations in history had thriving arts and cultural programs

Because they are sure talking about those, and not about the millions of lawyers,sociologist and the remaining zilions of different humanist education programs which produce lots of people with high school with no real chance to get a job in their area of expertise.

Sure, every country need some amount of people in each area of expertise, but the issue is with the extremely high numbers in many areas.

This is why China is and will continue to beat the ever-loving crap out of the US. They can make unpopular but necessary decisions. How stupid is it to loan an 18 year old 150k to get a philosophy degree? How stupid is it when the government backs unconditionally each and every one of these loans? How stupid is it that our country has a massive shortage of engineers and scientists? Well that last one may just be propaganda since salaries are not rising.

^ Well said. We need politicians willing to make unpopular choices... otherwise we will keep digging our own graves.

This is why China is and will continue to beat the ever-loving crap out of the US. They can make unpopular but necessary decisions. How stupid is it to loan an 18 year old 150k to get a philosophy degree? How stupid is it when the government backs unconditionally each and every one of these loans? How stupid is it that our country has a massive shortage of engineers and scientists? Well that last one may just be propaganda since salaries are not rising.

There are a lot of nursing, engineering, biology, physics, chemistry, basically the sciences, graduates over here. Yet that doesn't exactly help us rise from the Third World. Especially with the First World tightening things up on immigrants.

Well, this all makes sense. I mean, naturally, right? Because life is all about making money, and since nothing else matters (as we should all just be happy and quiet cogs in a great machine), we really ought to be teaching skills-that-pay and setting children on career paths as early as possible.

cool false bifurcation bro

but you're right, life isn't about earning enough money to eat or wear clothes. that stuff doesn't matter.

there goes liberal arts, kinesiology and every other mickey mouse major there is :rolleyes:

You are confusing a government where people are beholden to those that elect them and one where it is totalitarian.

I always thought it was a bit silly you had to wait all the way till your second year of college to actually learn about what you want to do. That should happen in jr high and highschool, by the time you get to college you should be ready to get a masters in 4 years.
yeah that's the way it is in many European areas.

Even so "general ed" bullshit is just that, bullshit. If you can't pass basic English or math, go to a fucking community college. Hell when I was in school we even had what was called "segment 3 general ed" which was post sophomore year, stuff to make us "more well rounded" I mean WHAT THE FUCK, I'm not doing a major in astrophysics because I want to be a well rounded person, I'd be a fucking liberal arts major if I wanted that.

There are a lot of nursing, engineering, biology, physics, chemistry, basically the sciences, graduates over here. Yet that doesn't exactly help us rise from the Third World. Especially with the First World tightening things up on immigrants.

Where is here? Are you referring to China? Are you delusional? Sorry guy, I know what many Chinese Universities churn out and I can promise you it is not educated students. I am sure there are exceptions but it's far from the rule.

Getting into University is difficult in China as I am sure you know but only because of the gaokao (insane Chinese version of the SAT exam). Once in a University it's more often than not...a cakewalk. A University diploma usually only means you memorized a lot of useless shit to pass the gaokao and your parents had the money to send you to Uni. It has almost no other meaning. Uni is for making friends and building guanxi (relationships) it is not about education.

Perhaps China should look to itself as the cause of it's issues and not elsewhere. Nice try attempting to blame it on the immigration laws in other countries. How about you look to the fact that Chinese students are primarily good at a single thing, rote memorization. Most Chinese students have the imagination and critical thinking skills of a wet turnip.They can repeat things very well though!!!!

Where is here? Are you referring to China?

Obviously not. I won't be able to post here I guess if I was in China. Well not really, but it would have been possible that I would have already been arrested with the things I post in the internet if I were in China.

"Here" as in "the Philippines." I did say Third World you know. In economic terms China and India are no longer "Third World", as they are considered "the next" countries, along with Brazil and Russia.

And saying that I'm in China is very insulting.

Obviously not. I won't be able to post here I guess if I was in China. Well not really, but it would have been possible that I would have already been arrested with the things I post in the internet if I were in China.

"Here" as in "the Philippines." I did say Third World you know. In economic terms China and India are no longer "Third World", as they are considered "the next" countries, along with Brazil and Russia.

And saying that I'm in China is very insulting.

You are very funny. This thread is about education in China and you use the word...'HERE' without mentioning another country. Yes, you did say Third World. I should have assumed you meant the Philippines? Is it the only Third World country? Ever been to China? Don't be so quick to say it is not a Third World country, at least outside of the major cities where it manages to be a second world country.

Care to tell me why you feel you'd have been arrested if you were posting from China? Even here (in China) it is not against the law to make an ignorant post. You'd be safe.

Anyway, no need to discuss this any more really. I misunderstood your initial unclear post and you followed up with nonsense and ignorance trying to defend it.

You are very funny. This thread is about education in China and you use the word...'HERE' without mentioning another country. Yes, you did say Third World. I should have assumed you meant the Philippines? Is it the only Third World country? Ever been to China? Don't be so quick to say it is not a Third World country, at least outside of the major cities where it manages to be a second world country.

Care to tell me why you feel you'd have been arrested if you were posting from China? Even here (in China) it is not against the law to make an ignorant post. You'd be safe.

Anyway, no need to discuss this any more really. I misunderstood your initial unclear post and you followed up with nonsense and ignorance trying to defend it.

You ask him questions then say no more discussion? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yeah. I was torn between my wish to see him try to explain his remarks and not wanting to read ignorant comments. Poor form on my part.

Explain away.

Who says that's what made the civilization thrive and succeed though? Sex Brothels also existed in almost all great civilizations and slavery in quite a few of them. By your incorrect usage of logic that (P->Q) means (Q->P) which it doesn't necessarily, would the ending of sex brothels and slavery lead to the end of those civilizations? I think not.

Besides, all joking aside, we all know the real majors being cut are political science especializing in western thinking // democracy // freedom of speech and philosophy =). Those majors never result in paying jobs ;) and are dangerous...err don't pay.

I wish they would do that here...or at least until the student loans are no longer the biggest domestic debt in the US.

Oh wait...I forgot all the stories from my dad, who just retired (he was the head industrial electronics professor at the local college here in Jacksonville): We DO cancel non-paying college programs in the US, and it happens every semester.

But, I digress, there is a difference, we only cancel programs that don't pay the universities themselves. :(

Choice of major tends to be a bit of a red herring. People who are bright tend to teach themselves marketable skills (or seek further education) regardless of their undergraduate majors. I know a very successful software engineer who majored in philosophy and never took a single computer science class. I also majored in philosophy and make great money as a tax lawyer now.

Which is why we have thousands upon thousands of college students graduating with completely worthless liberal arts degrees and wondering why they can't get a job higher than the cash register at McDonalds and bitching they can't afford their 100k loans.

People need to learn that Culture and Art are wonderful enriching things..but they are not a Viable major college degree. Honestly no one should be allowed to major in it, minor yes major no. Your Major should be that thing that is going to pay your loans, mortgage, bills and put food on your table. While the overall picture for China is bleak, this is a decision that needs to be made in the US as well.

I know a very successful software engineer who majored in philosophy and never took a single computer science class. I also majored in philosophy and make great money as a tax lawyer now.

So what was the point of your philosophy education then ? Zero, none. What was point of your education then ? Yeah, you can put a nice title in front of your name. That is pretty much the result.

Why should the state subsidize some areas, which produce lots of people who cannot use their skills ? It is not like we need thousands of new philosophers per year. You are the best example of that - you couldn't find a job in area you was learning, because there is simply no need for such amount of people in that area.

The intent of a university was never to be a job training school. It's purpose was always to create critical thinkers with a broader perspective and appreciation for those areas outside their immediate concern or interest. It is modern society, particularly in the U.S., which pushes college degrees as the ONLY way to "get ahead" and, start earning the big bucks as soon as you graduate.

At least this ensures our supply of cheap labor from China for decades to come. Until they encourage creativity rather than rote memorization, they'll always be the bitch of more creative cultures.

So what was the point of your philosophy education then ? Zero, none. What was point of your education then ? Yeah, you can put a nice title in front of your name. That is pretty much the result.

Why should the state subsidize some areas, which produce lots of people who cannot use their skills ? It is not like we need thousands of new philosophers per year. You are the best example of that - you couldn't find a job in area you was learning, because there is simply no need for such amount of people in that area.

I'd like to point out, first, that you might have been able to find a job in the "area you was learning", but if you can't English to properly articulate yourself, you don't have a hell of a lot of space to criticize someone else that's been successful.

Secondly, one of the benefits of living in a first world nation is being able to become educated for the purpose of the education itself rather than having to focus that education towards a specific career and not learning anything outside the scope of what you need to practice a particular trade. As someone that went to a liberal arts high school that makes anything below an ivy league college look like a joke, then on to one of the best art colleges in the country, and then on to law school, I have to say that the breadth and variety of my education has enriched my life incredibly. I'm fortunate to have had the financial and mental capacity to focus on and benefit from learning many different subjects. I prefer to more than a single use tool, and be instead, a creator, and to be able to fashion myself into whatever sort of implement that I want, or have the impulse, to be.

If you don't have the capacity to become more that a single use person, don't criticize those that rise above.

They (China) are trying to nip the problem in the bud before they end up with a few thousand "Occupy Beijing" hippies.

Back