China running port scans on my firewall

Motley

2[H]4U
Geeez, was looking at my firewall logs, and I'm constantly being hit by ip's located in China. WTF, all these hackers!

Of course it's blocking all these requests, be holy cow thats ridiculous. Lots of baddies out there!

At a position I used to have we filtered all IPs from China and Asia to our production public systems.

That's a great idea. But sad to see how many successful hacks they get from poor unsuspecting users out there. I know some businesses don't even have firewalls.

heh, you should see how many hack attempts and hits the government agencies get from China. It's astounding. In this day and age, no matter who you are or what OS you're running, it's best to run a good quality hardware firewall.

Welcome to the Internet. Everyone's machine gets hit with the same crap.

Does anyone have a IP list of asia/china countries so I can add them to my block list? We are getting hit hard at work.

You know what's interesting. I just checked my router logs and I've got a lot of OUTGOING ICMP packets blocked.

Might be from utorrent.

welcome to the club. This is the reason why I don't run ssh on the default port (22). I end up with endless pages of failed logins in my logs if I do. Arbitrary ports ftw!

There are tools that can help with this (like fail2ban) but it's still a pain in the butt no matter what. I just use strict iptables rules and I don't have many issues with it anymore.

i just block any ports that would use a privileged login, and require VPN connection to get to everything.

Back