China Posts List of Government Approved Games

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Following a total freeze on video game approvals earlier this year, Reuters reports that the Chinese government approved 80 online games over the weekend. While this is great news for the gaming industry in general, the report notes that none of the games from Tencent Holdings are on the list, despite being an industry leader of the gaming market in China.

Unfortunately, Reuters didn't actually post a link to the list, and didn't go into details about other games. MMO Culture seems to be the only other English news site that dug a little deeper, but they didn't post a link to the list either. Fortunately, I managed to dig up the December list on the Chinese government's website. Most of the titles seem to be mobile games, and I don't see any mention of western heavy-hitters like Fortnite, PubG, or any of Activision-Blizzard's titles. The Chinese government supposedly has a long queue of games to approve, so it might be some time before PC and console games from Western companies make the list.

Good stuff! Gaming is bad for you anyway, they should force people to juggle instead, much better!

Reactions: Madoc
like this
When I feel down about some of the stuff that happens in the US, I just need to look at what China is doing to feel better...
Unfortunately I think this is going to have ripple effects in the game industry. Publishers are not going to want to miss out on the potential revenue of selling to the Chinese, so I see a lot of capitulation to the Chicoms, especially from the big 5. I guess it all depends on how long the approval queue will be and how it is managed.

The more systems you establish to limit people the more adept they become at bypassing them.

The more systems you establish to limit people the more adept they become at bypassing them.
Or they just start hanging people from lamp posts or sending them to re-education camps when they get caught. Harsh enough punishments, and people don't look nearly as hard at trying to bypass controls.

Or they just start hanging people from lamp posts or sending them to re-education camps when they get caught. Harsh enough punishments, and people don't look nearly as hard at trying to bypass controls.

Nope, they look even harder and hide better. Information can't be destroyed and change is inevitable. The last kid who stood in front of a tank got run over, nevertheless it will happen again. The protests in Hong Kong were crushed yet the movement they represented simply became more secretive and even more active. No force in all existence stops change, not Ping, not Mussolini, not Alexander, no empire can survive forever. The more brutal the oppression the more violent the inevitable uprising.

Work with the people or get worked over by the people.

If we really want to "defeat" China here in the west, we start to supply logistical support to dissidents in their country. Hurting ourselves to teach them a lesson is foolish, China is a country of more than a billion minds, it's not monolithic. It's full of people with different ideals and dreams, the majority of those dreams are fundamentally incompatible with a stodgy, fearful, brutal, old dictatorship as deeply conservative as the Communist party.

Back