China Poaches Over 100 TSMC Engineers to Bolster Domestic Chip Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

erek

[H]F Junkie
"A previous Nikkei report revealed that Taiwan has lost over 3,000 chip engineers to China. It goes without saying that TSMC was a bit worried when QXIC miraculously opened up a research and development center nearby TSMC's 5nm plant in south Taiwan. QXIC certainly didn't set up shop there for the weather.

China has a knack for poaching the right talent and welcomes rival industry veterans with opened arms. The Chinese chipmakers not only throw more money at their prospects, but also offer them the opportunity to grow inside the organization. The problem is that the country currently runs several big chipmaking projects simultaneously, but the talent pool is only so small. The Chinese chipmakers will eventually end up fighting among themselves for the next prospect."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/c...c-engineers-to-bolster-domestic-chip-industry

When it comes to China, 99% of the time poached = threatened.

Be interesting to see what kind of "new and cutting edge" innovations that magically appear in 3-5 years.

No surprise there, they’ll use every resource they can to steal IP and talent so that they can become self reliant.

Like forcing a foreign company to sell it's assets to a domestic company by leveraging your consumer base? Gosh I can't think of any country that has literally built it's entire economy on exactly that process.

Can you?

Be interesting to see what kind of "new and cutting edge" innovations that magically appear in 3-5 years.

Is that what the politicians you worship like gods told you? Because China has a long standing tradition of "stealing" international talent by killing their children, right? Not because they offer them more money to come to their country with all those industry secrets. Gosh I can't think of any country that has literally built it's entire economy on exactly that process.

Can you?

Condemnation of China is not a full throated endorsement of the USA.

The ad-hominem attacks on your fellow enthusiasts is un-called for. Please stop.

Those of us in the USA are well aware of the shame of our country’s practices (operation paperclip etc.), and I don’t believe ANY of us worship politicians like gods. Much the opposite.

Thanks for not de-railing, back to the news item.

Like forcing a foreign company to sell it's assets to a domestic company by leveraging your consumer base? Gosh I can't think of any country that has literally built it's entire economy on exactly that process.

Can you?

Is that what the politicians you worship like gods told you? Because China has a long standing tradition of "stealing" international talent by killing their children, right? Not because they offer them more money to come to their country with all those industry secrets. Gosh I can't think of any country that has literally built it's entire economy on exactly that process.

Can you?

Is China poaching engineers through better job offers? Or finding leverage on the engineers and forcing their compliance?

No surprise there, they’ll use every resource they can to steal IP and talent so that they can become self reliant.

So when EVERY major US corp does exactly this its fine.... when China offers better pay and upward mobility, and opens facilities close to where the people are its theft. Ok then.

As a Canadian who has had our best and brightest Pouched since the 40s.... that's life. If someone offers human beings better pay and better jobs, that is the way things are supposed to work. I have 2 cousins who now live in the states working at AI companies, your welcome for their Canadian educations. Pouching thieving bastards to the south of us. /s ;) In the 60s one of my great uncles moved to the states to work on Aircraft after Avro Canada was shut down due to intense American political pressure, couldn't have competition in the fighter jet market. He was one of 100s that went south after Avro closed on the promise of good paying jobs doing what they want with upward mobility. The most famous leaders at Avro ended up in top positions at Nasa and Lockheed. You can thank Canadian engineering for being able to land on the moon... and German ones for getting there.

If TSMC is really worried about loosing all their best... the solution is to you know offer them raises and opportunity. Its a free market.

Considering where TSMC is located (and what China's policy is on Taiwan) I wouldn't doubt if threatened, abducted, and forced into labor would probably be more correct. However, it would be in Tom's interest not to throw around "unfounded" allegations.

Can you?

Can you?

:ROFLMAO:

I just can't imagine that Taiwanese citizens would voluntarily pick up and work in mainland China without some sort of leverage. On a larger scale, it would be like an American picking up and going to work in Soviet Russia during the height of the Cold War. China has made no secret of their intentions with Taiwan. If this read that they went to S. Korea to work at Samsung or America to work at Intel, I would agree with the upward mobility idea.

I just can't imagine that Taiwanese citizens would voluntarily pick up and work in mainland China without some sort of leverage. On a larger scale, it would be like an American picking up and going to work in Soviet Russia during the height of the Cold War. China has made no secret of their intentions with Taiwan. If this read that they went to S. Korea to work at Samsung or America to work at Intel, I would agree with the upward mobility idea.
This. I would not care about anything China promises. Next thing you know your family is enslaved and you are forced to do their bidding.

Condemnation of China is not a full throated endorsement of the USA.

The ad-hominem attacks on your fellow enthusiasts is un-called for. Please stop.

Those of us in the USA are well aware of the shame of our country’s practices (operation paperclip etc.), and I don’t believe ANY of us worship politicians like gods. Much the opposite.

Thanks for not de-railing, back to the news item.

There is no attack in what they wrote. And I think that what they presented is a relevant point because it's clear that many of the people who lob attacks and unfounded allegations against China's actions are speaking as US citizens and meaning to say that China is relatively bad. But since many of those people are US citizens, it can portray a hypocritical and disingenuous message. Context is essential to gaining truthful perception, and the conduct of the US shapes the context of the accusations and actions made by the US government and by US citizens who benefit from the US' conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back