China Hacked Navy Contractor, Secured Trove of Sensitive Data on Submarine Warfare

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Chinese government has stolen 614 gigabytes of data related to a project concerning underwater warfare, as well as the plans to a secret supersonic anti-ship missile, by hacking into the computers of a Navy contractor. The information compromised also includes signals and sensor data, submarine radio room information, and the development unit's electronic warfare library. Thanks TheCommander.

The data stolen was of a highly sensitive nature despite being housed on the contractor's unclassified network. The officials said the material, when aggregated, would be considered classified, a fact that raises concerns about the Navy's ability to oversee contractors tasked with developing cutting-edge weapons. The breach is part of China's long-running effort to blunt the US advantage in military technology and become the preeminent power in east Asia.

This is kind of, ya know, fracking something that should be unexcused

This has to be Raytheon right?

We signed an agreement in 2015 to stop this kind of crap. Of course it's just more lies from the East.

I found it somewhat humorous that from TFA, the Navy requested a newspaper withhold certain information because it might compromise national security. Seems like the contractor has already done that. Not sure how letting the US taxpayers know was taken makes things worse. Of course, it makes it easier to cover up the Admirals who were in charge of contractor oversight.

Maybe we taxpayers should file a class action lawsuit against the contractor for damages equal to the cost we will have to bear to fix this. $50 billion might be a good start.

Can we fucking have a god damn government mandate that all secret military information not be accessible remotely like fucking ever, even if you are a contractor working for the government like seriously that's part of your bid is to make sure all data associated to what you're working on is NEVER FUCKING ACCESSIBLE REMOTELY! Want to transfer something, then go old school and put it on some sort of media device and physically move that data from one point to another to put it on another device at no time should any of the devices have any sort of remote access whether external or internally to the network.

If a government/individual wants to subvert the security by sneaking in or whatever they fucking fine, that's something you deal with but I think by now we should classify any remote access system as inherently unsecured and as a result should not be used.

Project has been compromised due to contractor negligence and therefore said contractor can not deliver an effecitve system as promised. Start over on counter measures and don't pay an additional dime to them or sue them if they refuse.

In before the NSA proponents reply with, "But it's not the responsibility for us to patch holes for every company. And we want to keep those holes to see what others are doing" standard reply.

I bet the Security Managers under that particular fleet probably wish they weren't alive right now.

Heads need to roll. Examples made of. I'm sick of this shit.

HillaryClassMeme.jpg

The United States love to rant and rave about national security but my bet is no one at this contractor gets any sort of of punishment for not securing things well.

Im surprised this type of information is allowed on computers that I assume are connected to the internet 24/7

Here's the issue:

when aggregated, would be considered classified

This isn't that atypical.

What happens is you have pieces of information that, by themselves, are unclassified. But when combined and/or attached to a specific program that same information becomes classified. So the individual pieces are kept on an unclassified network [people HATE working in classified labs when they can avoid it], but when someone gets all the information you end up with a major shit storm.

What really needs to happen is any defense information that is Need to Know needs to be treated as classified for the purposes of IT security. The downside is most classified areas will need to be expanded [on taxpayer dime, I point out] to allow more people to work there full time.

If china can hack stuff like this. I imagine they get all the corp secrets even easier. China probably copies things more than any other country.

Even with the plans the Chinese probably won't put it together right.

If it were Hillary in office she would have gladly handed over the documents for a set of silverware. :p

On topic though. I'm not surprised, this just ads to the enormous pile of data, information & intellectual property that China tries & succeeds to steal from the U.S on a regular basis.

Want to play a scary game? Look at all the stuff in your house and read where its made.

Last edited:
If it were Hillary in office she would have gladly handed over the documents for a set of silverware. :p

On topic though. I'm not surprised, this just ads to the enormous pile of data, information & intellectual property that China tries & succeeds to steal from the U.S on a regular basis.

Want to play a scary game? Look at all the stuff in your house and read where its made.

Shouldn't we fully expect state-level espionage as a given though?

I don't think they know that this was done by China, since no state hacks under its own banner but under that of a different country (like the USA does under Russia and China's identities).

I think that this is being pinned on China because US and China tensions are ramping up over the South Sea islands, and over trade. So, China is the new boogeyman, and US government and media will opportunistically pin any negatives they can on China in an effort to demonize them. It is the same propaganda script every time.

If there were no relationship strain with China at this time, US government and media might be just as likely to claim that Russia did this (as they have done for many things, without any evidence or sound reasoning).

US Propaganda 101: Immediately blame everything on whoever you're most irked with at the moment to try to demonize them in the public's perception.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
I think that this is being pinned on China because US and China tensions are ramping up over the South Sea islands, and over trade. So, China is the new boogeyman, and US government and media will opportunistically pin any negatives they can on China in an effort to demonize them. It is the same propaganda script every time.

You do realize that the Chinese Government has long since wanted control of the US right? China has always been THE boogyman of the United States, No matter how many times they scream Russia. Like I said, go through your house and look at the labels on everything you own. I bet none of them say "Made in Russia" on them.

You do realize that the Chinese Government has long since wanted control of the US right? China has always been THE boogyman of the United States, No matter how many times they scream Russia. Like I said, go through your house and look at the labels on everything you own. I bet none of them say "Made in Russia" on them.
China and Russia both cause issues. China is more sophisticated about it.

Heads need to roll. Examples made of. I'm sick of this shit.

Yes it is bull shit, I work in the community, but one of the first heads that needs to roll is Hillary Clinton over having the eMail's on a server at her residence along with having them destroyed and the mobile units!

Yes it is bull shit, I work in the community, but one of the first heads that needs to roll is Hillary Clinton over having the eMail's on a server at her residence along with having them destroyed and the mobile units!

What Hillary did was dumb. They are all stupid. I hated Hillary and I hate trump as much. I just can't believe though people fall for their crap! Trump is soft as hell on Russia, now he is at G7 licking Putin's balls trying to say Russia should be in G7 and it wasn't Russia they were kicked out it was Obamas? I mean do people really fall for this shit! He went out of his way to save ZTE and has went totally cold on china! So much for china ripping us off, yea they are but no one is doing shit about it. Putin: I talk to Trump all the time, Trump: Its been a long while since i spoke to Putin! I mean after all the shit Russia pulled off it is just a damn shame that he defends Russia. I was done with Trump when he said We kill just like Russia in defense of Russia! Sometimes I truly feel that Russia was a perfect example of using social media to influence a country and now it seems that we are splitting up from rest of the world and getting closer to Russia. May be that is the master fuckin plan here. Not much for conspiracy theories but man as the time goes on I feel like we splitting away from all the allies and defending russia all the time.

Russia is busy politically destroying us. While they might not be making stuff for us they sure have contributed to lot of shit.

There needs to be extremely serious consequences for the contractors when this happens. They love the BIG $$$$ so they need to take the consequences of their failures as well. People used to be hung for allowing stuff like this to happen ...

There needs to be extremely serious consequences for the contractors when this happens. They love the BIG $$$$ so they need to take the consequences of their failures as well. People used to be hung for allowing stuff like this to happen ...

I am not if there is an easy to do it though. If they follow the security protocols and are cleared by the government we can’t really blame the contractor.

It's likely not much is a secret anymore. Everything is always getting hacked.

Lol wut? Yeah lets go back in time and punish all liberals who did stupid shit instead of working on fixing the now

Reactions: NKD
like this
Back