China Completes Successful Soft Landing on the Far Side of the Moon

Big deal, just like the near side but more holes. Robot? Wow. We actually went there fifty years ago, landed and walked.

I wonder which country the Chinese stole the design from?

They're not picky

BTW: last I looked there's a USA flag that was planted on the moon back in 69'
According to International Laws on Earth if you plant a flag it becomes yours (for mineral rights/oil rights like Russia and China are doing in the Arctic regions of the globe).
Therefore, the moon (mineral rights, usage rights, etc) belong to the US, right?

Who rode the Russian RD 180 to orbit for decades. I was expecting they stole our crap nonsense. This place echos just like Ars.

They bought RD-180s for literally pennies on the dollar and also employed a large contingent of Russian rocket engineers in the process keeping them from working for others developing rockets for them.

NASA got theirs from Nazi scientists.

Remembering the Nazi Scientist Who Built the Rockets for Apollo
German scientists brought to United States to work on rocket technology
Why the U.S. Government Brought Nazi Scientists to America After World War II

I've read speculation that it's because those Nazi scientists are passed or retired that US missile and rocket tech has fallen far behind Russia's.

Newsflash, so did Russia. Both programs were founded on the backs of german scientists that were relocated after WWII.

And russian missile and rocket tech hasn't really advanced from the ~70s. And the two biggest innovators in rocket technology are both US based (Tesla and Blue Origin).

The Nazi's are going to be pissed when the Chinese find their secret moon base.

Big deal, just like the near side but more holes. Robot? Wow. We actually went there fifty years ago, landed and walked.
The deal is the reason the military was all over the space program and NASA up to and including the Moon Landings. ICBM technology. This is saying China can now build a missile and land it on New York if they wanted. It's now a matter of how many of those they can build without breaking the bank. Thanks Free Traitors, the past 30 years of treason are paying off in money wasted in another 50 years of an arms race and cold war. We can't afford that shit anymore so don't get visions of war profiteering either. It's going to be rough everywhere.

Newsflash, so did Russia. Both programs were founded on the backs of german scientists that were relocated after WWII.

And russian missile and rocket tech hasn't really advanced from the ~70s. And the two biggest innovators in rocket technology are both US based (Tesla and Blue Origin).
Not finding this after a quick search though.

The deal is the reason the military was all over the space program and NASA up to and including the Moon Landings. ICBM technology. This is saying China can now build a missile and land it on New York if they wanted. . It's going to be rough everywhere.

old news, once you can put something in orbit, you pretty much have the capability of hitting anywhere on earth with an ICBM. Remember the USSR and Sputnik? That.

This lander stuff is just Chinese propaganda to boost their ego.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
And russian missile and rocket tech hasn't really advanced from the ~70s.

Since the 1970s, Russia's missile tech has actually made huge advances, especially in the previous 2 decades.

Russia's S-300 system might make for a good example to track Russia's progress, since there have been so many progressive updates to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_missile_system

The first S-300 system came into service in 1978, and had the following capabilities:

Interception range - under 75 km
Deployment time - 1 hour

A 1992-introduced version could deploy in 30 minutes and had a maximum range of 150 km. The missiles it could fired also had increased speed and improved guidance systems.

A 1997-introduced version increased the range to 195 km.

The modern version of the S-300 has an engagement range of 400 km.

The S-400 was first tested in 1999, and came into service in 2007.

US' Patriot Missile system stats:

Detection rage - 180 km
Interception range - 130 km
Minimum range - 10 km
Max speed - 7,920 km /h
Deployment time - 25 minutes
Estimated stealth detection - modest

Russia's S-400 system stats:

Detection rage - 600 km
Interception range - 400 km
Minimum range - 2 km
Max speed - 17,180 km /h
Deployment time - 5 minutes
Estimated stealth detection - extensive to comprehensive

Russia is planning to enter the S-500 system into service next year.

Russia is deploying Iskander-M missile systems to replace 1970's-introduced OTR-21 Tochka systems.

OTR-21 Tochka stats:

Range (1976 version) - 70 km
Range (1990 version) - 185 km
Speed - 1.8 km/s
Accuracy - within 150 metres of target

Iskander-M stats:

Range - 400 - 500 km
Speed 2.0 - 2.6 km/s
Accuracy - within 5 - 7 metres of target
Its missiles have manoeuvering capability to avoid anti-missile defences

Russia's nuclear arsenal and delivery systems have been comprehensively upgraded or replaced over the past decade, and are more advanced than the US'.

Earlier in 2018, Putin announced that Russia was adding 6 new strategic weapons to Russia's arsenal, which include hypersonic weapons and new nukes, while claiming that Russia has more new weapons designs that are not being disclosed for now.

Since the 1970s, Russia's missile tech has actually made huge advances, especially in the previous 2 decades.

No it actually hasn't. S-300 progression didn't break any new ground over what they already had developed, generally just bigger boosters. Rocket/missile tech both in the USSR/Russia and abroad largely stagnated outside of guidance systems.

No it actually hasn't. S-300 progression didn't break any new ground over what they already had developed, generally just bigger boosters. Rocket/missile tech both in the USSR/Russia and abroad largely stagnated outside of guidance systems.

Precision, guidance, speed, and range are all vastly improved, with radar, detection, and evasive capabilities added. What else is there to a missile to be developed?

Precision, guidance, speed, and range are all vastly improved, with radar, detection, and evasive capabilities added. What else is there to a missile to be developed?

Speed and range are all due to just upsizing boosters. Radar/detection are not missile technologies but orthogonal. Everything else is guidance systems which are also orthogonal to missile/rocket technology (and in which Russia is well behind).

Actual missile/rocket technology improvements are better fuel systems, reuse, engines, etc. Russia has largely been stagnant in those like the rest of the advanced world. The only real advances in those areas have all been coming from "new space".

I wonder which country the Chinese stole the design from?

Honestly I am sure espionage is always going on. But in general Chinese aren't stupid! In General Asians are hard coded to study. Look at me, I destroyed my parents hopes when I got my degree in Math and chose not to be an engineer or doctor. Now I am glorified sales guy.

But white people know what I mean. My Boss was sending me an email once to test his theory, he was like let me send you an email. Instead of using my user id, and me sitting next to him. He Decided he was going to search how many Indians by my name were in the company. and he finds like so many people that are engineers and network design bla bla in the company, but he was like found you! I was like that quick, he said, "Looks like you are the only one by your name in sales". I was like fuck! Then he goes on to ask,"you do have a Bachelor's right?" I was like yep, in Mathematics. He was like that is so Indian, but I have no idea how the fuck you ended up in sales. I said I was going to to teach but I couldn't live with that money!

Seriously all the white folks in the company look at my name and then I see a question mark on their face. Shouldn't you be like engineer or something lol.

Their closed cycle tech was considered only theoretically possible, right until Rocketdyne was offered to by a warehouse of the N33 engines from the seventies that used it. That was the mid to late 90s. Now those engines are powering the Atlas V....

Russian R&D docturine was basically keep blowing thing up until you got it to work. But when they did, it could work very well.

All i care about is if they wanted to land on the dark side because they wanted to find some aliens. Common we need Contact! LOL

Their closed cycle tech was considered only theoretically possible, right until Rocketdyne was offered to by a warehouse of the N33 engines from the seventies that used it. That was the mid to late 90s. Now those engines are powering the Atlas V....

Russian R&D docturine was basically keep blowing thing up until you got it to work. But when they did, it could work very well.

Oh I agree, but I did say they hadn't advanced from the seventies. The russian did a lot of work on staged combustion engines in the 60s leading to the breakthroughs that allowed the N33 (and subsequenty RD-170 related family) and a lot of it was done by blowing stuff up.

Smoke and mirrors, they can't afford to deploy them in large numbers

And your figures are way off for the latest generation of Patriot missiles
I love the source he has as well lol.

Back