China Completes Successful Soft Landing on the Far Side of the Moon

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

The Chang'e-4 team from China has successfully soft landed a combination lander-rover on the far side of the moon. Because the far side of the moon's view is blocked from Earth, a Queqiao relay satellite was launched in May 2018 to pass information from Chang'e-4 to Earth. The mission carried an international payload of instruments to measure various features found in the environment on the far side of the moon. The landing site used for the mission is the Von Karman crater which spans an area of 112 miles within the larger South Pole-Aitken impact basin. The South Pole-Aitken impact basin is over 1,553 miles wide and is known as the oldest feature on the moon. It is 6 times deeper than the Grand Canyon as its depths reach nearly 8 miles in some areas. This area is important for scientific study because it exposes the deepest parts of the lunar crust.

"Congratulations to China's Chang'e 4 team for what appears to be a successful landing on the far side of the moon. This is a first for humanity and an impressive accomplishment!" NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said via Twitter Wednesday night, after word of the milestone began circulating on social media.

2. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Limp Gawd

I wonder which country the Chinese stole the design from?

3. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

LOL. Exactly what I was thinking.

4. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

Hell yeah now we can finally get on with figuring out just how hollow the moon really is!!

5. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Wonder how many moon deniers China has?

griff30 and GoldenTiger like this.
  6. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Those guys are going to chang alot of chicks.

filip and auntjemima like this.
  7. sirsad

sirsad [H]Lite

If China could really go to the moon, they would land next to the USA flag to prove we never went to the moon.

8. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Now now, that isn't very nice and the Chinese are very clearly a culture of innovators just like Apple.

Also, obviously they got it from NASA.

9. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

Who rode the Russian RD 180 to orbit for decades. I was expecting they stole our crap nonsense. This place echos just like Ars.

sabrewolf732 and N4CR like this.
  10. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

NASA got theirs from Nazi scientists.

Remembering the Nazi Scientist Who Built the Rockets for Apollo
    German scientists brought to United States to work on rocket technology
    Why the U.S. Government Brought Nazi Scientists to America After World War II

I've read speculation that it's because those Nazi scientists are passed or retired that US missile and rocket tech has fallen far behind Russia's.

Sadly, Ars become a deluded echo-chamber years ago. And, the site staff actually cultivated it, stating long ago in their own comments section that they ban any accounts registering from Russia (and who knows where else).

N4CR, dangerouseddy and Madoc like this.
  11. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

Next, China will claim to own the Moon, and that they've owned it since ancient times.

12. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

I think we would all agree that 1). getting into space and 2). getting into space, getting to the moon, and landing on it are two completely different things.

There's also a difference between purchasing RD 180 rockets from Russia (U.S.) and stealing the designs, building a space program, and then calling it a great national product (China) .

DooKey likes this.
  13. Link

Link Gawd

Are they looking for Sentinel Prime?

CptCabbit likes this.
  14. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

They have a longer mythological claim at that. Not that they are the only ones though. Japan does with Kaguya as well.

15. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

LOL. In management are we. I can recommend Re: Your Brains:

16. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Great now they're going to expose our moon landing hoax.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  17. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

When the duck did that happen?

Tell me when the Russians do a flyby of a Kuiper Belt Object or have a reusable launch platform. If you're watching the business side of things, Roscosmos is in a BAD place. Their customers are drying up, and they can't get the Ukrainian parts they need for their guidance systems.

And yes, we all know the space race was a game of "Our Nazis are smarter than your Nazis." Also, "Hey look, if we can put up a satellite, we can put a nuke on your capital city."

lcpiper and IdiotInCharge like this.
  18. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

They only needed to change 2 letters to get NASA lol

19. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

Its the weapons. Patriots are crap. The S300/S400 are very good indeed. All Russian forces will this year switch to Iskander
    for their missile artillery, perhaps the most accurate medium range missile there is. The Bastion anti ship missiles are fucking terrifying and really you should not fight with these people.

The Mad Atheist, Kinestron and N4CR like this.
  20. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

YAWN...

21. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

...but we're still not letting them on the ISS, right guys?

22. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

I'm picturing a Bullet Bill from Mario paint job.

23. IdiotInCharge

Pretty sure we're riding on Russian (nee Soviet) rockets and vehicles because they're cheaper and available.

24. Wiffle

Wiffle Limp Gawd

Yeah I landed on The Dark Side of the Moon once. Wasted way to much Time up there. The lack of oxygen made it hard to Breathe, and since I was almost out of Money I decided to leave my Great Gig in the Sky. I totally think I suffered some Brain Damage from doing that.

25. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

There's no dark side of the Moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.

IcePickFreak likes this.
  26. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Your sarcasm detectors are broken.

dgz likes this.
  27. GT98

GT98 [H]ard|Gawd

The Russians talk shit alot, but they can barely afford new weapons systems these days.

As for the S300/400-well the US has a S300 system in its posession and it didn't fair to well against the IDF in Syria with non-sleath aircraft going against it.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  28. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

Also on a totally unrelated note in the news, Since China has equipment on the moon, it's now owned by them and anyone else is forbidden to go there without permission.

85&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fwww.engadget.com%2Fmedia%2F2012%2F07%2Fchinamoonbase.jpg

Madoc and Viper16 like this.
  29. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

PenGunn Anyway, I yawn because Patriot is a 40 year old platform. Why would we talk about future Russian systems along side historical US systems?

We might as well be talking about SM3 block IIA - Mach 15 (18,000 km/h, or 5+ times faster than that Russian thing in the video) with a 2,500 km range. A nice upgrade to SM3 block IA, the current AEGIS and AEGIS Ashore interceptor. The thing can (and has) kill satellites.

Not that I really trust the Russian MIC to actually make quality or quantity of systems to be deployed these days.

30. IdiotInCharge

Don't they just keep upgrading them, though, same as the standard missiles referenced?

31. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

They're on a moon for sure, but is it the real moon or just a cheap knockoff?

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  32. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

33. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

A long time ago, with the US being a good 1.5 generations behind Russia in missile and anti-missile tech. The US is now hoping to have hypersonic missiles ready by 2025, while Russia has hypersonic missiles in service and has a hypersonic glider that's going to be in service this year. Russia's S-400 already outclasses the US' anti-missile / anti-air defences with more than 2x the capability in all metrics, and Russia plans to have the S-500 in service by 2020.

The US banked on air superiority, and I guess was successful. Russia banked on being able to defeat any air threats, and being able to strike any target from any range without being intercepted, and was successful.

Russia's space program is another thing. I hope they get it together, though.

N4CR likes this.
  34. equinox654

equinox654 Limp Gawd

Assholes are trying to find our secret moon base :p

Hakaba and Jim Kim like this.
  35. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

The IDF has stopped flying over Syria and has been told to stop flying over Lebanon. They will obey as they have pissed off the Russians and have been told they will target both their planes and their airfields. The Syrians managed to shoot down an F16 with an ancient S200.

That's where we are now. ;)

36. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Wonder if they found any cheese?

The Mad Atheist and TeeJayHoward like this.
  37. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

haha, exactly. Threads like this one usually generate a lot of stupid comments from people that are for reals.

38. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

If you care about your social score you won't question the government!

The Mad Atheist and filip like this.
  39. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

They probably already set a factory up manufacturing fake moonrocks for sale on earth.

The Mad Atheist and filip like this.
  40. travm

travm Limp Gawd

...? is that because the earth is flat?