China Blocks Google as New Leader Elected

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
China has instituted some rather extreme measures to insure that the National Congress elections of a new leader go on without a hitch. Google and Gmail have been blocked completely, with a general slowdown of the entire Internet countrywide.

Traffic to Google sites fell off Friday evening in China, according to Google's Transparency Report, which provides information about traffic worldwide.

Why block anything? It's not like anyone there can afford a computer.

Shit, they make iPhones and still can't get them.

If I was a foreign government of any significance, I wouldnt trust Google either. Can't blame China for not wanting to be data mined.

You know, I am feeling a little tinfoil hatish this morning so..here you go. Your obligatory conspiracy theory of the day.

China has some a personal issue with Google because google is covertly trying to usurp their government. You see if Google succeeds in this then they have positioned themselves to be the first corporation to take over a major country. Think of the amount of power Google would wield if China became Googleland instead?

/tinfoil hat off.

disclaimer - For those that take the above literally, realize that I wasn't being serious and that some of us can actually post crazy things from time to time without actually believing them....or can we? :rolleyes:

Whatever, its not like Google is popular anywhere but in the US where people are like, "Oh, Google has a device that I can use to make phone calls and browse the web, but it also reports my GPS location to a ton of random companies and people that have apps and lets Google figure out where I am, what I'm doing, and what I want to look at on the Internet. That's awsome! I want one and hook my Gmail account to it which is linked to what I watch on YouTube and what I search on my Chrome browser laptop!"

Meh...China is probably doing themselves a favor by keeping Creepy Uncle Google out.

Even though I'm not for this crap in China, the one thing I'll say about it is the media doesn't get to steer the elections like it does in the US.

The amazing thing with all this data mining is that I've been using Google and Youtube and Android stuff for years, and I have still never clicked on any kind of internet advertising from Google.

How dare Google for keeping tabs on people, intruding on their lives, and keeping an eye on them!
(That's the chinese goverment's job!) :p

Wow sucks for anyone who relies on gmail. Another reason to run your own mail server, less chance of it getting blocked especially if you keep low profile.

To think, the US is trying to do the same thing as China and block sites at will.

Wow, there's so much misinformation in this thread...

I'd suggest to start by reading this book:
http:///UAVzWC

"Not like anyone there can afford a computer" - the Chinese middle class is larger than the population of entire developed countries.

"Just because it's popular here, doesn't mean it is there" - Google is #2 because #1, Baidu, is not only is owned by the Party, but Chinese hackers also regularly steal Google's intellectual property through hacking them in another sovereign nation. Google is actually quite popular since people DO like their services and want to avoid censorship, in other words, you know, a choice?

"Creepy Uncle Google" - the Party is far creepier in that regard. If anything, they just dislike losing a monopoly on information, by which they control everything. Keep in mind that the government of China and the Party are two completely distinct entities.

"Run your own mail server" - yes, I am sure that's a viable option in China.

"The US is trying to do the same thing" - yeah, it's exactly the same...not.

Two days ago every single google service was blocked. Could not even add apps to my phone. It lasted about 12 hours. Services have been returning slowly since with most* accessible now.

*most = most of the servces they do not totally block

Even when all is normal in China the gov't fucks with Google. They partially block the google services which are not completely blocked so they appear to be less reliable/trustworthy than the Chinese sites. Frustrating to say the least.

Back