China Bans Online Gaming and Chatting Internationally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironic. They're raiding all the surrounding countries for women. The one-child policy resulted in the disparity of females in China. If you only get one, you want a boy - right? A few years ago, there were about 40 million less Chinese women than men. That's 40 million men with no chance - zero chance - of having a Chinese wife.

<tangent>
I watched a documentary on this not long ago. It was heart-breaking. They interviewed many blue collar young men, who were indicating all the available women were being woo'd by the very high end white collar folks, so factory workers like them were basically (not) screwed.
They'd start with a brave face of optimism, and by the end of the interview they were usually sobbing. As you said, they knew - zero chance.
</tangent>

Last edited:
Indoctrination and censorship goes a long way towards controlling a population. I would wager at least 70% of the population don't have any idea that their lives can have more freedom. Of the remaining 30%, I bet most of them benefit from communist rule.

Most Chinese people under 30 have no idea about the Tienanmen Square Massacre; it's been scrubbed from their history. Most are probably taught to believe Western lifestyle is bad and their current lifestyle is much better. Keep most of the people in poverty and the more educated people under control, and the likelihood of rebellion is low. Most rebellions start with the middle and upper class, not the lower class.

Suggest you read this article... https://time.com/5599060/china-millennials-tiananmen-anniversary/ You will be hard pressed to find anyone in China who doesnt know about Tiananmen.

Anyway Chinese mentality is quite different. Its not much different from other East Asian societies though obviously a bit more extreme. You can blame a guy named Confucius.

p.s. Id take Taiwan News with a grain of salt, its more of a tabloid nowadays.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Suggest you read this article... https://time.com/5599060/china-millennials-tiananmen-anniversary/ You will be hard pressed to find anyone in China who doesnt know about Tiananmen.

Anyway Chinese mentality is quite different. Its not much different from other East Asian societies though obviously a bit more extreme. You can blame a guy named Confucius.

p.s. Id take Taiwan News with a grain of salt, its more of a tabloid nowadays.

- interviews a limited number of people across a supposed broad spectrum, no evidence of proper statistical methods used
- a good number of responses indicate incomplete or distorted knowledge of the event, with some having no clue.
- conclusion of article was that Tiananmen forced the authoritarian government to change

Yet you somehow concluded that most younger people in China know about Tiananmen from that article.

This really is not so bad compared to other things China have been doing to contain both the spread of the virus and the information about it from their citizens. The scientist who was letting people know about covid19 and wouldnt recant his statements and admit wrongdoing "suddenly died".

Threesome bro. :p
Threesome!? Noob, they're already doing 5-some, correction, 4-some, one got arrested for child abuse....

To be honest it's kinda why I stopped frequenting [H]. I love this site, but since Kyle decided to step down from running the main site, the forum's have become more and more anti china. I personally don't care about the current Chinese government, but I've seen people on this forum attack even just the people of China.

I don't know about the other sub-forums that are outside of General Mayhem and the Soapbox, but I have not seen any people here shitting on the Chinese people.

There's nothing "Anti-China" about calling out the CCP on their bullshit. Unlike other tech publications/forums/companies who seem to fall over themselves trying to kiss Xi's ass and promote CCP propaganda, at least this forum has people who are calling the spade a spade.

In regards to the topic of this thread, I'm not surprised at all.

EDIT: In my opinion, people who cowtow for the CCP and promote their BS propaganda are the true anti-Chinese. My two Yuan at least.

Probably so they wont Blab about the Coronavirus escaping their lab.

Good riddance. I'm sick of all the cheaters in games. Just take a look at their ping and instantly know where they're all from.

To be honest it's kinda why I stopped frequenting [H]. I love this site, but since Kyle decided to step down from running the main site, the forum's have become more and more anti china. I personally don't care about the current Chinese government, but I've seen people on this forum attack even just the people of China.

Concerning China and the banning thing. It eats at my core beliefs as an American. But I do sit there and think....how the hell do you control 10x's the people that we have, all condensed on one coast. I would imagine our own personal government would be VERY different. Tango mentioned above that "Unless their people WANT"...the funny thing is I'm sure there' sa shit ton of people in China who wants something different...but they are also dealing with a government who is very much okay with basically running their people into a pulp with tanks and washing their remains away into the sewers...and those 10,000 they kill? Well thats basically just 3 blocks worth of people and their ideals just wash away.

I will admit though, the Chinese and Brazilian culture of "Cheating" during gaming (it's a thing btw) is very interesting. I had a long discussion with my buddy who works at a major developer in the game industry about it. Completely different mindset.
Kyle bought the forums back.

Anti China is an interesting view. I detect some thinly veiled sentiments in your post.

For example, it's not "cheating." It's cheating. You call a mindset that favors and applauds blatant exploitation of a game (but also applied to commercial contracts, business dealings generally, intellectual property, etc) to be a mere cultural phenomenon. And it is not. It's a character flaw.

I never said it wasn't cheating. It's defined as Cheating in TOS, so it's obviously cheating. But it is also a cultural thing where other cultures actually promote "Cheating". For example, One thing the developer talked to me about is that you aren't allowed to own many physical things in China so in order to show status you need to own a lot of virtual things. This is why cheating is tolerated over there so you can get more merits. It's a means to an end of their desires. It doesn't appeal to me at all. If there is sentiments, it's more like a nuetral stance because I really know my position is biased based on the culture I was raised in, and also my moral upbringing. But I'm not immune to it..Software Piracy is a form of cheating, and it doesn't bother me at all that a shit ton of kids (including Americans for those who feel morally superior) do it all the time.

I don't know about the other sub-forums that are outside of General Mayhem and the Soapbox, but I have not seen any people here shitting on the Chinese people.

There's nothing "Anti-China" about calling out the CCP on their bullshit. Unlike other tech publications/forums/companies who seem to fall over themselves trying to kiss Xi's ass and promote CCP propaganda, at least this forum has people who are calling the spade a spade.

In regards to the topic of this thread, I'm not surprised at all.

EDIT: In my opinion, people who cowtow for the CCP and promote their BS propaganda are the true anti-Chinese. My two Yuan at least.

You know, I'm more than willing to call it a case of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon where I noticed something before so I was more sensitive to it, but here is an example of another post about China that was in the news section - https://hardforum.com/threads/chinese-smarter-than-everyone.1989611/page-4.

I get it though about beliefs against China. As an American we really need that "Red Scare". Trust me..I feel the same way a lot of hot red blooded Americans do againts the Chinese government. When you brought up the point that people are calling a spade a spade, I'm curious do you think I support the CCP? Cause I've already twice mentioned I don't like the Chinese government. As noted above though...from an observers standpoint...I really wouldn't know what type of political system would work best when you have literally 1.5 billion people living on ONE side of your country. Our American ideals and things we take for granted would simply not work.

Something really neat though is if you like at "Like" history...you can really begin to see a pattern of what political leanings some people have on this forum by the post they like. :)

Last edited:
I really wouldn't know what type of political system would work best when you have literally 1.5 billion people living on ONE side of your country. Our American ideals and things we take for granted would simply not work.

Since when do things like Freedom and Democracy have a population cap attached to them? The United States has more than tripled it's population over the last century. There was probably a time when many people didn't believe that Democracy in a country the size of America could work either.

Since when do things like Freedom and Democracy have a population cap attached to them? The United States has more than tripled it's population over the last century. There was probably a time when many people didn't believe that Democracy in a country the size of America could work either.

Spoiler alert, it's not working.

While I don't think there' s hard Cap to Freedom, the point I was making is I don't know if our system of government would work on both a population larger than 6x our current system and also if everyone in our country decided to live 40 miles from the Atlantic ocean. The government structure would be very interesting, and a strong centralized federal government would almost be required to handle it. Now imagine an EXTREME centralized government like the CCP and it's control it wields. Unlike the US were an event like Waco or the use of force of the Elian Gonzalez extraction would cause an uproar (which is our constitutional right), in China they don't have those rights. And unlike when we fought against England in the the 1770's..there isn't a huge ocean that's blocking CCP China from the Freedom wanting chinese. Basically any coop would be instantly crushed by a government who doesn't even consider their people as people.

While this may seem a little weird to put out, but bear with me. The Civil War in the US was started by States with Militia's who believed their freedoms were being challenged (which is arguable) and eventually the south just lost to superior technology, numbers, and also economy. Fortunately at the end Grant gave a very amenable surrender term to Lee. It wouldn't be the same with China CCP. They have superior tech, superior number, superior economy, and massive corruption. They have a cult of personality in their leader where they can burn away lives to meet their ends, and also something very Chinese mentality is they play the long game while also playing the short game. They would squash most desires of Freedom or Democracy that their rogue population would have. A non state uprising as of right now wouldn't last 4 years like the south did, i would be surprised if it even lasted 4 weeks if China CCP decided to be a part of it. That's why Hong Kong is very interesting to me, because China CCP is playing nice, but sooner or later they may decide to not.

I don't know why you are saying Democracy by the way. We aren't a democracy. We are a republic. A democracy WOULD not work at all in the United States. Did you think we are a democracy?

Last edited:

Sorry by the way, I realize I didn't address your point about population increase in the United States. You are right, over the last Century the US population has risen, and a lot of power has gone towards a more centralized government. While this is arguable if it's good or bad, what it has done is made States and Individual's more reliant on what Washington D.C. decides for us. As a Centralized Government get's stronger and stronger it's very arguable that freedoms and personal democracy will very much be reduced for the sake of security. I personally wouldn't be surprised if as our populations grow that en masse we would vote to give away our freedoms but not realize it. Throughout our history though we have taken many small groups of Americans "Freedom" away to make them fall more inline with a centralized doctrine. For example Polygamy in the 1860's was a freedom that Mormans had...which was taken away on a Federal level. It's not a freedom I would want...but it's what a group of Americans did want and was taken away. (Good news for your multi wife diddlers though, they reduced it from a Felony to basically a slap on the hand a few months ago)

This thread has gotten really political though. Going back to the point about China banning online games. I think we are going to find a lot of companies catering to China and that money. I think the Chinese market is more lucrative for developers, there's just that much more disposable income there. Those of use who have been used to being coddled need to get ready to be the recipient of sloppy seconds as China will probably be some companies cash cow.

I'm sure that businesses exploiting online gaming as a source of income to steal money away from lazy stupid westerners will continue with allowances for them.

But they will get easier to block as red tape will (lol red tape.. communist tape..) slow them from getting new IP ranges through the firewall you can see from space.

All they need is a port... give them a port they can slip through the firewall on and VPN's will solve the rest of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back