chillin like villians: rev n roli's water cooling craze

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, so like i said before: i got back from europe on wed night, got the parts thursday at work, and started that night. i was severely jet lagged all the way till about saturday so didnt take much pics just was trying to concentrate on the work. truth be told i didnt start having fun till saturday morning around 8am. so here is what i got. pics and descriptions team. the final build pics will come sometime this week when i get done switching and testing procs and get the temp sensors reading on the aquaero. then i'll tuck those last final cables away.

---------------------

first pic i took. already got the rad up on top.
-
IMG_1743.jpg

--
pic of my 2 lovely temp sensors. think i mentioned how i siliconed them in there. well thats where they will be, on the hot and cold sides of the radiator. wooo. also note well how the return line from the rad goes thru the neat lil hole i cut in the lian-li faceplate. yep, it runs down the back side of the drive cages.
-
IMG_1744.jpg

--
got the mobo in, measuring loop runs and tube lengths etc.
-
IMG_1746.jpg

--
here we have the niftie mounting posts for my storm block. this took a lotta work and searching at the hardware store. the main issue was got get the bolts on the other end of the backplate to sit flush, otherwise the mobo would bend up around the socket. But now the way it works is that some springs, washers and risers sit on the posts and i simply slide the STORM down then tighten with the thumbscrews. FTMFW
-
IMG_1747.jpg

--
you might have noticed some of the mini sinks in the other pic, here is some more
-
IMG_1748.jpg

--
Rotated the HDD rack, this will be its final placement.
-
IMG_1749.jpg

--
This shot gives an idea where the return line of the tube form RAD -> RES will go.
-
IMG_1750.jpg

--
Got the gfx cards in place and tubes cut and attached-
IMG_1751.jpg

--
And now a few pics as the rest of the parts are placed and the loop filled and air bled. i began the leak test here
-
IMG_1752.jpg

-
IMG_1753.jpg

-
IMG_1754.jpg

-
IMG_1755.jpg

-

--

And thats it for now folks. will try to take some good pics with the proper camera. but its pretty for real now. will take detail shots of the important bits that i thought were either time consuming or special for the build.

OH MAN!! I totally missed this.. sorry bud. My mom passed away last night.. :( It was very sad, but we're all glad she isn't suffering any more... she had suffered for 10 years with cancer in and out of chemo, etc.. it was horrible. Anyways, she's free from it now.. but we miss her. very much.

ok - on to the modding! dude, great idea to turn the top maze4 90deg to make that card <--> card loop kink-free! yowza! So fill that sucker and let's see that aquero in action! w00t. Awesome job!! homie!! :D

sparky1_2007 said:
how well did those stock 7900gt coolers work? i'm planning on getting one and im wondering wether or not to get an aftermarket cooler or not..

They worked ok, but were as loud as an electric train set on full blast... crazy! my idle temps with the stock coolers were 38 or 39c and in the low 50s for load... with the zalman's 33c idle and mid 40's load. pretty damn good! I am really impressed by these Zalmans. BTW - I mis ordered the non LED version at first and tried to cancel my order so I could get the LED version, but I eneded up having to order those out-right, sooooo I have two extra Zalman brand new, un opened, vf700cu (the non LED version) for sale if anyone is interested.. $29 shipped! or $50 for both shipped. PM me if anyone is interested.

check it out, i put in the final choice optie of my 3, refined my fan wiring and took some pics. here is the gallery

r3vo+pc ºº Thermochill PA 120.3 Loop Upgrade ºº

and a few choice pics:

--

--

--

--
And finally: the shot on the kitchen table: showing the hot and cold sides of the rad water temps on the aquaero as well as the temps in bios on startup. CABQE for the win!

:D !

will post the info on the detail shots from the web gallery later / tomorrow

NICE!!!! love the new loop... I am so tired right now I can barely type.. I will check this out more tomorrow. :D

revenant said:
OH MAN!! I totally missed this.. sorry bud. My mom passed away last night.. :( It was very sad, but we're all glad she isn't suffering any more... she had suffered for 10 years with cancer in and out of chemo, etc.. it was horrible. Anyways, she's free from it now.. but we miss her. very much.

ok - on to the modding! dude, great idea to turn the top maze4 90deg to make that card <--> card loop kink-free! yowza! So fill that sucker and let's see that aquero in action! w00t. Awesome job!! homie!! :D
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sweet roli...

I been waiting to see what it looks like done up. Maybe finally now we can put all that powah to good use and strike it up a bit. ;)

The wiring is awesome too, there's so much stuff in there it's crazy that no wires are standing out. The swiftech ram sinks look very good with the DFi chipset fan too. Everytime I look at your system it makes me more anxious to see what it looks like in real life. You gotta bring it down here sometime man.

only thing, the water isn't as pretty as the previous pentosin mix. :D

LOL - it was filled and I thought the loop as empty. heh.. man, that *IS* one clean build.. I am humbled in your godly clean wiring ability. :D I still have work to do on my machine.. I hate it when I get new stuff and have to leave for EVER so I can't tweak and tune.. gah! I need to sink my video memory.. going to use AS thermal epoxy and some swiftech and some zalman sinks.. plus sink these voltage IC chips on the back of the 79GTs
79gt9vd.jpg

79gtvreg.JPG

these suckers have been going up in smoke on some peeps cards, like this:

79gtvreg2.jpg

scary.. I think I am going to sink those with extra zalman sinks.. and just use the supplied thermal tape for that.. don't want to risk a lead getting AS on it.

GAH!!!!! I wish I was home so I can mod and tweak.. man..

EDIT: here's a good map of the backside of a 79GT
79gtmap.jpg

PS: deckard - ty.

hah a well keep the tips coming for when its my time buddy. and yea you know i got my lil sinks READY to cover that spot up!

ok i wanted to post a few pics and points of note as i can remember them. will take more pics if necessary. this is my attempt for not having a play by play photolog, but like i said... jet lag is a mofo.

ok the (basically) finished machine, to be booted with my final choice processor.
-
IMG_8048.jpg

--

parts of note are the reservior down in front of the rotated HDD rack, the new intake fan which was put there when i noticed the heat pooling down there cuz of the HDD's. also helps feed the PSU cooler air. also the outake black yate loon fan... with all the fan cabling nowhere to be seen. Also the rotated maze4 block for the top GPU. and lastly, the mouting posts for the storm block.

Time for some backside shots.
• To the left of the pic, thats where the fan tail comes thru for the yateloon around back. then its attached to a 7v sleeved molex reducer i hadd from a previous accessories purchase. works perfectly and plugs right into the extra PSU headers hidden under and back of the PSU.
• as before, the 2 heavy duty HDD/VGS molex plugs are attached to the FlexForce Ultra headers for PCI-e gfx cards in SLI.
• the main ATX connector also easily goes under the HDD's and up around thru the lil pre built hole to plug into the mobo.
-
IMG_8049.jpg

--

Not a clear shot but this is the hole the fan tails come thru for the radiator. also the allen screw and washer/bolt combo that i used to mount it to the case. loads of fun picking out the 12 sets of those at the hardware store!
-
IMG_8050.jpg

--

Another closee up to show some of the backside cabling and fan headers. ideally i would sleeve some of the extenders... i think. but the main point of the pic is
• Look closely at the large bit of elec tape. beside it you see where the tube that runs from radiator to reservoir comes thru one of the front bezels then down the space created in the front of the case and all the way past the midfloor to the res below
-
IMG_8051.jpg

-
IMG_8056.jpg

--

Moving further around back, here is the extra cabling from the yate loon fan (they all come with a male and female molex pass thru + 3 pin fan tail UGH). it comes thru the space where the old tubing hole was and its zip tied to the back of the pci slots.
Also, yay i can use the fan shield again!
-
IMG_8052.jpg

--

Heh, i love this. Ok, so if you have a yate loon you will know that the fan holes arent open but is one long shaft the entire 25mm of the fan. so my normal rubber bolts wouldnt work. luckily i bought extra of the thum-bolts for the storm block so i put em on here. and the shield covers it all. wooo
-
IMG_8053.jpg

--

Just a shot showing how both the exhaust fan connection works as well as the fan tail from the psu (both are taped to the bottom of the mobo tray) are held in place. As you can also see: its exact placement for the HDD rack, but now it actually supports the case structure better!
-
IMG_8054.jpg

--

Another lower section pic. see the fact that i had to put the intake fan to the actual FRONT of the case and remove the whole filter assembly
-
IMG_8055.jpg

--

:D If you look closely, you will see the 2 zip ties used to hold the fan in place. dead center, supported by the internal frame and running silent!
-
IMG_8057.jpg

--

A full front-on shot. 2 free bays, then the optical drive, then aquaero vfd then the sunbeam. i really wanted to (but forgot) replace the power button with the aftermarket "green ring of light" one.
-
IMG_8058.jpg

--

Storm block.
• thumb screw. permanently mounted posts attached to backplate under modo. naked core mouting = much less risky!
• also showing my precious black microsinks :D
-
IMG_8059.jpg

--

Rotated maze block on top gfx card. and the oh so pretty copperity of the cards and NB
-
IMG_8061.jpg

--

Nice shot of the system closed and running
-
IMG_8065.jpg

--

One with the flash on and then flash off. heh. oh i cant wait to get a new sidepanel! look at the lighting on the front of the case :D subtle, the way i like it.
-
IMG_8070.jpg

-
IMG_8072.jpg

--

Shot of the Aquaero in its cyle showing the hot and cold sides of the radiator water temps, along with the new low temps in the bios. wheeee. scroll up for the imgshck larger link! I also love the way the tubes look there too.
-
IMG_8073.jpg

--

Last shot, the bios after the final config was turned on and PWM fan added.
-
IMG_8074.jpg

--

Enjoy! comments? questions? holla at me

Holla @ U!!!!!!!! man... sweet images.. you're rig is lookun HAWT homie... really nice. :D I love what you've done with the bottom compartments of your case where the psu and drives are... bad-ass! very clean.. I am thinking about getting a pair of Raptor X's and what to do to allow viewing of those while in service.. I would have to add a window to the side down low and mod the drive case so it dips the drives at a viewable angle.. would be cool!. :D 'cept those bad boyze R 'spensive!! ;)

thanks rev! and yea actually you could mount them flat against the drive bays up top where you taped on that "carbonfiber" paper thing..... would look awesome, would display in your current window and would be good for wiring too!

and thanks for your support homie i'm glad you like the case as it is right now. the way i want to do my window panel as a reminder includes using the technique TRESS used where i have like modders mesh in the bottom section of the panel :O:O

Very nice el rolio...I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing this thread...great job.

ok team, still trying to figure out a way to get the res "set" in place. i dunno what to do yet, but what i DO know is i found a nice place to put a zip tie anchor and then tie in the return line to the midfloor to give it the easiest path to the res. what i need to find is a way to moore (sp) the res in place. maybe to the hdd rack, maybe to the front side of the case, who knows

-----------------------

in other news rev, i realise now i cant get the 79's yet :( prolly not for a while even. i have some summer expenses coming up, one of which is upgrading my other machine cuz its that time again and its what i work with day in day out. i gotta sell my last gen powerbook while its got worth and have buyers and get a macbook pro even though i'd like to wait for them to release a new revision i can wait for this powerbook to lose more value. so thats anywhere from $500 to a grand i gotta spend shortly on a new machine... aka bye bye 79gt money (for now :()

el rolio said:
ok team, still trying to figure out a way to get the res "set" in place. i dunno what to do yet, but what i DO know is i found a nice place to put a zip tie anchor and then tie in the return line to the midfloor to give it the easiest path to the res. what i need to find is a way to moore (sp) the res in place. maybe to the hdd rack, maybe to the front side of the case, who knows

-----------------------

in other news rev, i realise now i cant get the 79's yet :( prolly not for a while even. i have some summer expenses coming up, one of which is upgrading my other machine cuz its that time again and its what i work with day in day out. i gotta sell my last gen powerbook while its got worth and have buyers and get a macbook pro even though i'd like to wait for them to release a new revision i can wait for this powerbook to lose more value. so thats anywhere from $500 to a grand i gotta spend shortly on a new machine... aka bye bye 79gt money (for now :()

Sucks to hear you won't have 7900GT money for awhile...but I work as a phone support agent for apple dealing with iBooks, Powerbooks, and Macbook Pro's and the new 17" Macbook is lookin' really nice, so I can't blame you for wanting to get that done pronto.

Hopefully we'll see more soon, but in the meantime, I'll offer you another congratulatory pat on the back for a job well done with this project.

cornelious0_0 said:
Sucks to hear you won't have 7900GT money for awhile...but I work as a phone support agent for apple dealing with iBooks, Powerbooks, and Macbook Pro's and the new 17" Macbook is lookin' really nice, so I can't blame you for wanting to get that done pronto.

Hopefully we'll see more soon, but in the meantime, I'll offer you another congratulatory pat on the back for a job well done with this project.

thanks man. well ive had a powerbook (first one - pbook 400) since before windows xp hahah and im on my 4th right now. basically i try to take my steps across 2 generations everytime. therefore hte one im selling (which is always lookin LIKE NEW) is still worth it to someone lookin for a good used machine and i can keep up with the times, cuz well, i love post OSx apple. they are bout their frikken bizness and well, i work on my machine day in day out.

anyhoo i wont be gettin a 17", i think the size and performance in the 15" makes it the perfect machine out there. right now im just tryin to find each and every shortcut to minimize hte difference in cash i gonna have to take outta my savings to buy this damn machine and also that all heat, battery, screen etc etc problems have been worked out. ha! so basically ima see if i can buy a refurb WITH a student discount or supn

I know you wanna sell your current powerbook while it has a little more value...but the heat/sceen issues have still been very prevalent, and I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one right now. It obviously doesn't occur with each machine, but the chances still seem to high for me...not that I have that kind of cash to drop on a new laptop. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
I know you wanna sell your current powerbook while it has a little more value...but the heat/sceen issues have still been very prevalent, and I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one right now. It obviously doesn't occur with each machine, but the chances still seem to high for me...not that I have that kind of cash to drop on a new laptop. :p

yea i know. sigh. but i gotta sell mine while i can still get 4 digits for it. darn, well my plan was to give it a month or so, and keep watchin the trends as i been doin since feb. normally i woulda waited on the next speed bump to pick up a current 2ghz model but i dont think my current pbook can wait that long ha (plus need more power for WORK! more powaaaa!)

el rolio said:
yea i know. sigh. but i gotta sell mine while i can still get 4 digits for it. darn, well my plan was to give it a month or so, and keep watchin the trends as i been doin since feb. normally i woulda waited on the next speed bump to pick up a current 2ghz model but i dont think my current pbook can wait that long ha (plus need more power for WORK! more powaaaa!)

Fair enough man...good luck.

cornelious0_0 said:

I 2nd that... about the "sucks about the 79gt $".. I generated the funds for mine solely off of the sales from old equipment.. but I had no other pending expenses at that time.. I now have a check engine light on in my car again.. every time that happens it ususally ends up in a 600+ dollar bill. anyways.. been out of the loop here for a while and wanted to chime in.. I hope to drive home on thursday.. been dying to just test my new cards more.. been gone for two weeks now.. whew.

I also wanted to add that I like the perminent post mounting for your cpu block.. I /need/ to do that also.. man. should have done that a wile back. gah!

Roli - how are your temps now? any better? I saw the 31c idle temp.. pretty good on a hot 3ghz+ opty. w/ fresh AS5. :) having fun with the Aquero? hope so :)

revenant said:
Roli - how are your temps now? any better? I saw the 31c idle temp.. pretty good on a hot 3ghz+ opty. w/ fresh AS5. :) having fun with the Aquero? hope so :)

Yeah man...I'm also in favor of some temp reports. :)

yea dontcha worry rev that was at 200x10 homie. i mean on stock voltage that took me to about 2.8 or so and so the idle didnt change that much , maybe up to 32º? haha

anyway, with the OC'ed settings i would believe the idle woulda been about 35-37º cuz it requires about 1.55v. now its warm and stuff but the point is the loop works, the rad isnt overloaded and i can not worry about runnin it quieter. load is what? like 43º or supn? i dunno.

ok even better example, all the time i was testing it on the kitchen table there, gettin it up to 3ghz when the ambient was pretty constant before this week.... well the temp sensors in the water was sayin 21-22.... load temps raised it by maybe a degree tops.

now? ha i come home and the water temps are like 27-28. it just goes to show what the summer'll do to ya!

so no, temps have not changed at load or OC settings. and i didnt gain any more OC outta either of the other opties. basically me having 2 6800GT's overclocked with their hot ass HSI bridge chips and all PWNED the loop. also, to make matters worse, the fact that i have a triple rad and the 2 gfx cards is a deterrant to the storm performance. a more low restriction block like the apogee might help me out for my current setup.... but i love my storm too damn much. its one of the first swiftie made i aint givin it up. plus its beautiful to me. one of 2 blocks i adorn with that word.

im sure getting the new cards that are less hot will make a difference to my loop whenever. i also plan on gettin the low power versions of the AM2 chips next year or whaddeva

All very good to hear...awsome to hear things happening...congrats again bro, very nice lookin' setup.

heh you should see the crazy stuff we working on next. the thread i have here about silencing my pump along with the few threads in the cooling section of XS.... it may lead to some sidegrades in my loop in the next couple weeks, say start of june kinda thing.

/me needs to poke head into cooling section of XS

Seems like you were smart with the biggun thermochill rad... still liking your 90 degree rotation on the top maze. very but unique and smart. I agree if you went with a higher flow cpu block it could help.. but honestly, you're temps will just level out more quickly, which is does not seem to be worth the fuss..

yay.. I am 1 hour from home now.. can't wait to play some Oblivion and try Titan Quest tonight.. whew..

yep cant wait for you to get back into it rev! the thread misses you! and your computer wants to comfort you!

el rolio said:
heh you should see the crazy stuff we working on next. the thread i have here about silencing my pump along with the few threads in the cooling section of XS.... it may lead to some sidegrades in my loop in the next couple weeks, say start of june kinda thing.

Can't wait to hear more.

Personally, I'm not sure when I'll be able to pickup another case to mod, but the system in my sig should be getting here soon...before the end of the month for sure...the last peice of the package is on the way to my bro so that everything can be sent to moi. :D

ok - updates... I got to play with my cards for a week solid, and sinked all the memory, MOSFET(s) and memory controller IC chips.. they seemed to be running well like this, so I went for the 1.4v vmod (gpu only). I put the ink on tape, which I can remove very easily if I want to. the cores go to 635mhz now stable.. the memory does 1700, with no mods. Not too shabby for a couple of little 7900GTs. ;)

Vmod2.JPG

Mosfet1a.JPG

Mosfet2a.JPG

Mosfet3a.JPG

Mosfet4a.JPG

Running more *cough* extensive HDR and SM3.0 tests now..(Oblivion).. :D

So how's the longest non worklog ever coming along? :D Anyone want to give me cliff notes on where we're at thus far in the log?

what? but there is work being done, and we logged it. :)

CLiff Notes: I am vmodding my 7900GTs on air for now to find their sweet spot.. it's much easier to vmod/test while I can take them in and out easily.. then they go back on water! :)

Roli has new parts ready to install..

If you think we should close this thread and start a new one - then say it. If not, we can surely try and keep each post to watercooling related project related info only.. or start new thread(s) for the ongoing work.. lettuce know. :)

Err I meant to put non-casemod-worklog heh :D You watercoolers are a different breed of modders.

I like the new threads for the ongoing work idea but I'm leaving it up to you folks. I don't want to spoil the work thus far.

what length sata cables are u guys running .. trying to figure out wut length i need .. 24 or 36 ?? v1000 is my case

also did u guys get that thing from lian li for the rear exhaust .. that diverts the air ? mine didnt come with it

jetjaguar said:
what length sata cables are u guys running .. trying to figure out wut length i need .. 24 or 36 ?? v1000 is my case

also did u guys get that thing from lian li for the rear exhaust .. that diverts the air ? mine didnt come with it
It should come with the rear deflector. And the cables used for a v1000 don't need to be that long. I use 36 for my v2000 and have room to spare.

so 24 should be enough to route under the hd cage and up the side of the 5.25 bays ?

didnt come with the rear deflector .. its a v1000b plus .. dont know if they are different .. it came with a deflector for the psu .. but not the top exhaust ..

anywhere i can get one ?

jetjaguar said:
so 24 should be enough to route under the hd cage and up the side of the 5.25 bays ?

didnt come with the rear deflector .. its a v1000b plus .. dont know if they are different .. it came with a deflector for the psu .. but not the top exhaust ..

anywhere i can get one ?
The only way I know of to be sure is to take a piece of string 24's long and test it out. I'd think so, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back