Chicago Gamers Will Have to Pay an Extra Tax on PlayStation Store Purchases Soon

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Sony has given in to Chicago’s “Amusement Tax,” which calls for a 9% tax from digital entertainment services such as Netflix, Spotify, and Xbox. Starting November 14, residents should expect an increase on their PlayStation Store receipts, which include “PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Music, PlayStation Video On Demand, and PlayStation Video Live Events.”

The tax isn't popular in the city of Chicago, but Emanuel says the taxes are necessary to shore up the city's pensions. Several companies like Apple and Netflix are taking action against the city for the taxes, but until any changes are made, PlayStation gamers are now subject to the same tax as other amusement activities.

2. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

eh only things certain in life death and taxes

3. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Go ahead, Rahm, blame it on the pensions where you already took the contributions from the employees, used it for other bullshit and mismanaged the money, and now don't have any money left.

raz-0, travanx, Revdarian and 11 others like this.
  4. WarriorX

WarriorX [H]ard|Gawd

Publishers see a rise of piracy of 65% and are puzzled when they see the rise coming from one single city. Chicago.

5. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Amusement Tax? - Doesn't seem that amusing. But to be fair, couldn't call it a 'Pleasure Tax', since console gaming and most streaming services are more taxing than pleasurable.

Better to have called it a 'Distraction Tax' - but would have to include smartyphones - a year's revenue would easily cover the city's pensions for a hundred years. Or six months after handling, administration and misappropriation charges.

travanx, N4CR and Flapjack like this.
  6. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

If the need to regularly dodge bullets wasn't enough of a reason to stay the hell away from Chicago, add this one to the pile!

travanx, che, Flapjack and 5 others like this.
  7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Damn... this makes California seem sane.

Wait a minute... fuckers in the CA senate better not get any ideas from Chicago.

But seriously, if this isn't a reason to register your device to an address OUTSIDE of Chicago I don't know what is.

motomonkey, travanx and Krazy925 like this.
  8. Jailer

Jailer Limp Gawd

And why is anyone left in Chicago?

Revdarian, nEo717, Flapjack and 2 others like this.
  9. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I'm sorry, sir. I know this cannot be true. Chicago has some of the toughest firearms restrictions in the country. Therefore, firearm-related crime must be curtailed.

10. Mozgus

Mozgus n00b

They're just the ones who haven't been murdered yet. Give it time.

11. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

I'ma lel you finish, but taxing taxes is friggen taxtastic!

TAX IT! (That'll bring prosperity, right guys?)

N4CR likes this.
  12. illaghee

illaghee Limp Gawd

shit, and i felt that stupid soda tax we got was asinine, Oh you like that? oh yah? let me tax that too... for pensions and schools you know... the regular stuff...

tului likes this.
  13. tului

tului n00b

I can see people using their buddies outside the cities address as their credit card billing address. I wouldn't give Chicago a fucking dime if I had any way around it.

14. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Basically cost you 9% to get lost in a game to forget for just a little bit, that you live in Chicago.

Everything in Illinois is just broken because of the terrible political leaders handing out government pensions when the state can't support it. Their property taxes are way out of whack with the rest of the Midwest.

15. tului

tului n00b

My guess is it's for the high % of gibs demographics but they're blaming it on pensions

N4CR and brentsg like this.
  16. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Demos taxing businesses, jobs, the rich, the middle class and property owners out of illinois in hordes. They couldn't pass enough taxes to get out of the hole their politicians have put them in. They can't pay lottery winners, fix roads, remove trash. Last I read their pension fund was running a 28B deficit. Don't worry, drink more coolaid and be happy. Oh wait, they put a tax on sugary beverages too. And now gaming...

17. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

18. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Thank god I moved away from that shitty state. Insanely high tax rates for just about everything and absolutely nothing to show for them.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  19. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

I am not amused

20. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

I sure the law makers are! lol

21. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I bet they keep re-electing the same corrupt politician in to office.

22. Catboxer

Catboxer [H]ard|Gawd

This a deal compared to our 10.25% sales tax!

23. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Not even a joke

LightsOut41 likes this.
  24. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

It is 9% on top of the 10.25% sales taxs they already have.

travanx, LightsOut41 and Dayaks like this.
  25. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

26. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

Chicago people just elected J. B. Pritzker for governor. It's a guarantee that he will raise taxes by a huge amount. I'm not sure when the voters will stop shooting themselves in the foot, but it doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/illinois/

Waveforme, kirbyrj and Dayaks like this.
  27. Private_Ops

Private_Ops [H]ard|Gawd

I think Chicago is about like NYC, just makes the rest of the state look bad. Anything think city states should be a thing?

28. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Don't worry, I'm sure multiple staffers in Sacramento are already writing a bill to implement this new tax here in California.

29. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Get dem gibs mayne

30. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

longtime civ player found.

31. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

with the status of federal taxes and the deficit it is now on the states to provide many essential services as the federal government continues to take the derp pills. medicaid expansions specifically. Even Utah realizes that GIVING homeless people homes saves money. Ever see a chicago winter? Human Popsicles are a thing. If the homeless person is on the brink of death and gets found and brought into a hospital. Who do think pays? States need proactive programs and they need to be HUMAN since the federal can't.

32. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Beyond the normal "chicago tax" of being robbed and stabbed on your way to pick the game up?

Worked downtown Chicago took union station everyday. Miss it zero. And it was practically utopia compared to today.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  33. rgraze911

rgraze911 Limp Gawd

Being a south suburb fireman alot of this has happened in and around Chicago, thank fully not the city i work in, We pay into our pension and the city also agrees to pay their part. Guess what the city doesnt do...

34. rgraze911

rgraze911 Limp Gawd

Funny that, give chicago its own state anything north of I-80 and east of 355. Youd have a completely different state.

35. Satyrist

Satyrist Gawd

Except, the soda tax got repealed 8-10 weeks (or so) after it started. Sure, Crook County board was.....Not happy about this.

Lots of the red light cameras have also gone bye-bye.

Even the "surge" pricing for parking meters around Cubs stadium have also gone away. This one, was more that they couldn't justify the increase because of folks parking another extra mile or two from the stadium.....Oh, and of course the Cubs not staging a repeat of 2016's World Series.

Just because greedy fucking pols pass laws, doesn't necessarily mean they'll get enforced, or that they'll even last. They're not federal laws, voters definitely have more influence over city and state elections.

Sure, Rahm's been pretty lackluster at best. But he also isn't running again - Hopefully it isn't because he's getting some pre-primary-pre-cum over some futile fantasy of having a presidential boner or something like that.

36. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

LOL! Another reason not to live in Chicago. :D Oh well, how are they going to tax Steam purchases with that tax, I wonder.

37. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

Ever see a Chicago winter? What? Where do you think I live? I was born on a farm in southern Minnesota, lived in Iowa for a time, and now am in a burb of Chicago. I have never lived anywhere else but the midwest.
    Democrats have run Illinois for generations, mostly due to the high liberal population of Chicago. The city seems to be near broke. Pensions are underfunded, they are trying to tax everything they can, like trying that soda tax mentioned by others. Chicago cheated on the red light cameras by shortening yellow light times and they eventually got busted for that.
    People are leaving the state in record pace, and businesses are leaving as well. It's pretty much a given that the new governor will raise taxes and the death spiral will continue, and accelerate if anything.

38. LightsOut41

LightsOut41 Limp Gawd

Excellent.

39. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone who lives in chicago already knows. There is a new tax every year and when you go do something you find out about it, the city blows money out of it's ass ex: these wonderful ornate lamp posts that arn't even found downtown where put in the south side.

It does not matter who you vote for it is the same shit every time, people talk shit about an amusement tax it is nothing, if you don't have a lawyer/ real estate to value your house for taxes and bring those taxes down you will get fucked so hard that 9% will look like the promised land.

Will people leave chicago, no. It is a hub just like New York.