Chevrolet To Use Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think this is a smart move by Chevrolet. In fact, I think all car manufacturers should follow suit.

By giving car buyers the choice between these rival phone-projection systems, Chevrolet hopes to quell concerns from prospective customers worried about the compatibility of their smartphones and vehicles. "It's about providing choice," said Alicia Boler-Davis, GM's senior vice president for global connected car consumer experience. "No two customers are alike, and we cannot expect a single solution that works for every driver in every situation."

Good someone using common sense and not making some stupid exclusive deal.

Would be nice to also be able to swap systems out if you get a new phone or used car...

This is the sort of thing that might sway me a bit, cars need to be more compatible and I'm somewhat surprised the Chevy is leading the charge. I wonder if the 2016 Camaro I've been staring at will have this as an option, I don't think Ford offers either on the Mustang.

What exactly do either of these systems offer that standard systems using stock android/apple API's? I see no reason to use either

What about the rest of us who don't care for any sort of "infotainment" system and only want a normal stereo or no stereo, only a spot to put an aftermarket one?

What about the rest of us who don't care for any sort of "infotainment" system and only want a normal stereo or no stereo, only a spot to put an aftermarket one?

It is difficult now that they all use the head unit to also house the car's computer etc.

This is the sort of thing that might sway me a bit, cars need to be more compatible and I'm somewhat surprised the Chevy is leading the charge. I wonder if the 2016 Camaro I've been staring at will have this as an option, I don't think Ford offers either on the Mustang.

I've always found Chevy to be somewhat forward thinking in their cars. I have a '15 Mustang GT right now and am seriously thinking on buying a '16 Camaro SS when it comes out. I like what they've done with it and some of the superior tech installed. And yes the Mustang offers Microsoft's shitty SYNC system. Supposedly Ver.3 is supposed to be some kind of game changer, pretty sure it's just a new skin with faster CPU.

Microsoft last to the party as usual...

MS was far and away ahead of either of these 2 but these systems are about compatibility with existing phones and since MS has no phone market share there is no reason for any company to use MS based systems.

Would be nice to also be able to swap systems out if you get a new phone or used car...

Agreed, though it sure seems like what we really need is a system that works with any device. What if I have an iPod and my wife has an S6? Do we swap phones if we swap cars?

I've always found Chevy to be somewhat forward thinking in their cars. I have a '15 Mustang GT right now and am seriously thinking on buying a '16 Camaro SS when it comes out. I like what they've done with it and some of the superior tech installed. And yes the Mustang offers Microsoft's shitty SYNC system. Supposedly Ver.3 is supposed to be some kind of game changer, pretty sure it's just a new skin with faster CPU.

traitor

Chevy is doing things that are starting to turn my head. The Volt and this, hmmmmmm maybe Chevy is up to things I like....

Chevy is doing things that are starting to turn my head. The Volt and this, hmmmmmm maybe Chevy is up to things I like....

Their car interiors are so ugly though... IMO of course.

I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan and supposedly it will have AndroidAuto by the end of the summer. Pretty excited. It brings some pretty awesome features and functionality.

Even if they somehow figured out how to make good, reliable cars, I'd never buy anything made by Government Motors.

Even if they somehow figured out how to make good, reliable cars, I'd never buy anything made by Government Motors.
Vs, what? Korean Government Motors, considering Hyundai gets massive government support?

I wouldn't buy "American" for its own sake, but I think you cut yourself short with brand loyalty, and I like the Caddy CTS, the Vette, and as a grocery getter I actually like the Chevy Sonic LTZ with the 1.4 liter turbo, 6-speed manual, and tall geared 40mpg highway... would have bought one if it had 160hp.

I have a '13 Fusion with Sync and have no major issues. Sometimes it'll do something weird, but give it 20 seconds and its fine. Overall, 4.9 out of 5 stars.

Yes, Sync previously sucked, and sucked bad, but now I think people are looking through turd colored glasses about Sync.

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's a dumb idea. How much of that purchase price is going towards two licenses?

Just add a decent gps, (along with a proper cpu to back it up, as car cpu power behind the entertainment control are pathetic), and the latest Bluetooth and be done with it, as that's basically all you're allowed to do with your phone in the car anyway.

Always been a Chevy man myself. Glad to see the option. Hope it will be available when I get my Colorado Diesel when it's released. I wonder if it would be possible to switch out which one you are using if you decide to jump from Android to Apple or vice versa.

Always been a Chevy man myself. Glad to see the option. Hope it will be available when I get my Colorado Diesel when it's released. I wonder if it would be possible to switch out which one you are using if you decide to jump from Android to Apple or vice versa.

Unless these 2 services need specific hardware to operate on either android or apple i would *hope* a software flash could take care of it. but knowing apple...........

I think this is a smart move by Chevrolet. In fact, I think all car manufacturers should follow suit.

I will take a 50s or 60s muscle car over this crap any day of the week. A cars job is to get me from Point A to Point B, not provide me with 1500 distractions that will prevent me from focusing on driving. All of this computerized nonsense does nothing but make repairs more complicated and expensive due to having more things to break and proprietary components (as well as a lot of superfluous government mandated nonsense like the emissions control system). Just trying to make engine repairs these days requires hundreds or thousands of dollars of proprietary diagnostic equipment because each vendor has their own protocols and no one wants to follow any standards with the ECM/PCM (e.g. VagCom, GDS, HDS). The last thing we need is for the in-cabin stuff to go this same route.

Vs, what? Korean Government Motors, considering Hyundai gets massive government support?

I wouldn't buy "American" for its own sake, but I think you cut yourself short with brand loyalty, and I like the Caddy CTS, the Vette, and as a grocery getter I actually like the Chevy Sonic LTZ with the 1.4 liter turbo, 6-speed manual, and tall geared 40mpg highway... would have bought one if it had 160hp.

I have a relative who had bought Cadillacs for decades, was convinced they where the best cars he could buy. He had so many major/costly problems with his last 3, he finally gave up on Cadillac, and bought a Toyota. May be a Japanese company but most are built in the US.

Now, the Vettes are different, it's almost like they aren't built by GM or the UAW, because they seem to have pride in building then right.

I'd rather buy a Japanese car built in America, than an American car built in Mexico.

There are very, very few brands that have signed on with only one of the two.

It will use QNX instead of WindowsCE, and they have already said it will support Carplay and Android Auto, along with some sort of integration between Sync and phone OS, so if for example you like Google Maps but want to use Sirius at the same time you can.

Unless these 2 services need specific hardware to operate on either android or apple i would *hope* a software flash could take care of it. but knowing apple...........

Both are built on top of QNX, which is why most manufactures will give a choice of both. And as I mentioned in the Hyundai thread a few days ago they do plan on Carplay support along with Auto, it will just hit the Tuscon first and come to other cars later.

Back