Cherry MX recommendations

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I have some neurological-muscular issues with my hands, and typing can be a bit of a chore, especially if I have a lot to code (I'm a programmer). I would like to get a decent mechanical keyboard, but I'm a little unsure as to what I should get because of my aforementioned problem. I'm leaning on Cherry MX red because they appear to have the least amount of resistance. Any other switches I should consider? Thanks!

I like the cherry black switches. They offer resistance when you press but I dont think they are too difficult to type on.

I think you are spot on with MX Reds if you want something easier to push down. There are even silent reds now with a little rubber piece on the bottom of the stem to soften and dampen the noise on impact. Although you are probably better off learning how to touch type so that you never have to bottom out, in which case MX Browns (tiny bump at actuation) or Clears (large bump at actuation but a stiffer spring) are best in that situation. If you want something REALLY easy to type on, then get a custom keyboard with Gateron clears, the spring is even lighter than MX reds and you might accidentally actuate a key just resting your fingers on it.

Okay, so based on everything here and what I've read I think I'll give the Corsair Strafe with MX-Brown keys a go.

Good choice. Browns probably are the best switch for all-around use (gaming, typing, etc.)

Yep - thanks! It arrives on Monday. I'm looking forward to it. I went with the red lights and not RGB - to me RGB just looks a bit tacky.

I agree on RGB. I just keep mine set to all blue so it matches my mouse and external keypad.

Good luck with your new keyboard!

Thanks! Just got it today, and I already like it a lot. Key presses are very precise, and the action isn't heavy at all. In fact, I haven't yet made any typos - so you can definitely color me impressed. :)

Edit: I'll probably end up bringing this in to work. Very happy with my purchase.

I've only used red and green but I love the feel and sound of the reds! I have a Corsair K65 Lux RGB with the MX Reds. Mechanical boards are great! Only got into them last year. I like when the software allows for macro creation. That could seriously benefit you as a programmer, right?

Awesome that the browns helped! That was probably the beginning of carpel tunnel syndrome if you were getting numbness in your fingers. My brother and I both had a bit of that before we got out of high school with him having to have surgery on his left hand. Once I changed back to a Model M, I was golden again and his holy grail was the Microsoft Natural.

The key to it is to see what your hands like and don't get tired of. And check out various case designs as that can help a lot along with the right switch.

Awesome that the browns helped! That was probably the beginning of carpel tunnel syndrome if you were getting numbness in your fingers. My brother and I both had a bit of that before we got out of high school with him having to have surgery on his left hand. Once I changed back to a Model M, I was golden again and his holy grail was the Microsoft Natural.

The key to it is to see what your hands like and don't get tired of. And check out various case designs as that can help a lot along with the right switch.

Yep! Sorry to hear about your brother but at least he found a solution that works. I'm still very happy with my decisions to go MX-Brown. I'll probably replace my own Model M (that I'm typing on now actually) with one because the Model M's keys are a bit too heavy for my taste.

Yep! Sorry to hear about your brother but at least he found a solution that works. I'm still very happy with my decisions to go MX-Brown. I'll probably replace my own Model M (that I'm typing on now actually) with one because the Model M's keys are a bit too heavy for my taste.
I'd definitely replace the M if the browns feel better for sure. And I'd even try another make of keyboard if you have different requirements or the Strafe is lacking in something. But I'd keep the M for days to come. It's an investment that will always have a return as long as computers exist. :D

I'd definitely replace the M if the browns feel better for sure. And I'd even try another make of keyboard if you have different requirements or the Strafe is lacking in something. But I'd keep the M for days to come. It's an investment that will always have a return as long as computers exist. :D

Thanks for the tip. I love the M and cannot part with it. This thing is a tank and continues to impress me. Also the eBay prices are impressive too! :D

I have blues and always think I would like browns better but haven't had a chance to actually try Browns for any amount of time.

I have blues and always think I would like browns better but haven't had a chance to actually try Browns for any amount of time.
I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a lighter spring. So many keyboards...so little time...lol...

I have several ~10 mechanical keyboards. I prefer browns and reds, don't really care for the blue switches, too much of a spectacle, and they are too 'scratchy'. Subjectively any switch more heavy than MX browns are conter intuitive (i am light fingered).

For work (software development) I use Ergodox Infinity keyboards with Gateron MX browns (feels like a lubed Cherry MX brown). MX browns is the safest choice for a first mechanical keyboard imo. I have also used a Kinesis with MX reds for work which was fine.

My gaming PC has a IKBC-F87 with Cherry MX reds, it's by far the best 'gaming' keyboard that I have owned. Reds are great for gaming, so fast and bouncy :).

The feel of the switch in itself is one thing, there is also the feel of the keycaps, e.g. my IKBC and Pok3r has these amazing heavy duty double shot PBT switches that always feel cool to the touch, whereas my Corsair K65 has 'soft' ABS switches with a rubber laser etched coating (feels like it will wear off over time).

There is also a difference in feel due to the way switches are mounted, on my Kinesis switches are mounted on a plastic frame, as opposed to metal on most other keyboards, switches mounted on metal frames feel tighter and has less bounce.

Last edited:
Cherry MX red is good option. Also you can add silencer O-Rings to make it even shorter travel distance.

I think I'm going to ask for a set of silencer o-rings for xmas. It seems like something I would like.

I used it at work to shut up the complains. I used to work in customer/network support department. Girls around me complaint about my mechanical keyboard noise all the time. Finally I put the o-rings and never heard another complaint.

I used it at work to shut up the complains. I used to work in customer/network support department. Girls around me complaint about my mechanical keyboard noise all the time. Finally I put the o-rings and never heard another complaint.
I brought my M to work and had to do a lot of PDF comparisons where I would be doing repetitive keyboard actions like alt-tab 20 times/sec to check for visual differences. At times, they would just wonder what the hell all that noise was. But they knew it was worth it because I was building tools for the call center that made their lives easier--something no one had done in the last decade.

Lol, I work with a bunch of programmers, some of which have mechanical keyboards so no complaints at work for me. :)

The Pros know! :D

Interesting enough - I believe they ALL are using Browns for work, and those who have mechs at home have Reds at home. I'm still rocking my model M at home because it works and I don't have to use it that much. If I typed more at home I'd get another set of Browns or Reds.

That's interesting about the Browns at work and Reds at home. I would think it would be one or the other. I've never tried reds so I can't compare to an M or Blues.

Back