Chemists Create Battery Technology With Off-The-Charts Charging Capacity

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from University of California, Irvine say they have developed a new nano-wire battery that can be recharged hundreds of thousands of times. The technology is still in the development stage but the researchers hope that this could soon be used in a new type of rechargeable battery.

Scientists have long sought to use nanowires in batteries. Thousands of times thinner than a human hair, they're highly conductive and feature a large surface area for the storage and transfer of electrons. However, these filaments are extremely fragile and don't hold up well to repeated discharging and recharging, or cycling. In a typical lithium-ion battery, they expand and grow brittle, which leads to cracking. UCI researchers have solved this problem by coating a gold nanowire in a manganese dioxide shell and encasing the assembly in an electrolyte made of a Plexiglas-like gel. The combination is reliable and resistant to failure.

Purposely misleading article headline. It's not capacity but cycle count. Who cares if you can cycle a battery 200,000 times if it still doesn't hold enough to make it useful. Give me a battery with 5x the storage capacity and the cycle count goes down 5x. The battery will also last 5 times longer now because of the reduced cycle count.

Steve, you had me at electrolytes. Sold!
It's what plants crave!

Who cares if you can cycle a battery 200,000 times if it still doesn't hold enough to make it useful.
It's still useful for solar cell plants, since they can afford to have a massive volume of batteries, but it would be against their marketing bullet points to dump tons of batteries every year.

Could be useful in cars...

I can't see ANY electronics companies wanting longer lasting batteries, that would mess up their planned obsolescence cycle pretty good...

I can't see ANY electronics companies wanting longer lasting batteries, that would mess up their planned obsolescence cycle pretty good...

very true, but companies will probably just way overprice those items marketing them as superior technology and make the same margin as selling the ones with shorter life cycle.

Is this really a big deal? Batteries already last a very long time. Almost all the LiPo batteries I have for my RC cars are ~5 years old now and pretty much still function as new. I have worked on many laptops that are 10-15 years old where the Lithium-ion battery still works well. Progress is always a good thing of course, I just wish they were more clear about the real-world problem that they are trying to solve here.

Where the fuck are my graphene supercaps? It's years later and nothing.

Battery tech never goes anywhere because of the implications to large sectors of industry. Li-po-ion my ass.

Where the fuck are my graphene supercaps? It's years later and nothing.

Battery tech never goes anywhere because of the implications to large sectors of industry. Li-po-ion my ass.
that right there too.

You mean old batteries exploding in your electronics? I recently had to clean out my multi-meter from batteries that popped and corroded the terminals. I'm sure electronic companies factor that in as part of their cycle as well.

Is this really a big deal? Batteries already last a very long time. Almost all the LiPo batteries I have for my RC cars are ~5 years old now and pretty much still function as new. I have worked on many laptops that are 10-15 years old where the Lithium-ion battery still works well. Progress is always a good thing of course, I just wish they were more clear about the real-world problem that they are trying to solve here.

We only get around 1.5 to 2 years from the laptop batteries in the office. I've never seen a Laptop battery older than 6 years that still worked (still lasted at least 50% of the rated time)

I have a 6 year old laptop that I use when I travel. Very little use as it's probably only been charged/discharged less then 100 times. The battery barely holds a charge any more.

Dont we only have to wait a few more years for the NMH battery pattent from the EV1 to expire so we can mass produce batteries bigger than a Vape smoker? Then we can have a very robust, recyclable, and high charge count cell.

Who cares about charge count. We need batteries that can give power for longer periods of time without recharging. Till that happens battery tech is a joke.

Who cares about charge count. We need batteries that can give power for longer periods of time without recharging. Till that happens battery tech is a joke.

I think the term you want is 'capacity'.

I got to ride on the B-29 Fifi couple years ago. Back near the tail they had a little generator called the "putt-putt" that served as an APU. In Fifi they replaced it with a modern car battery.

Seems WW2 battery tech was a joke.

I can. because it could allow low quality chinese brand batteries to creep down in price which is good for consumer electronics markets.

5 times a year for the past 10 years I've read articles about upcoming awesome battery technologies. None of them have yet come to fruition.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
5 times a year for the past 10 years I've read articles about upcoming awesome battery technologies. None of them have yet come to fruition.

Seems to me that every futuristic thing you saw in magazines or movies as a kid could be here...once we could get sufficient battery density. You know, should be easy, pack 20 gallons of gasoline worth of energy density into a 5-lb battery...

Seriously though, renewable energy, electric cars, hoverboards, all slaves to batteries.

like this
Enough with the announcements of we've developed a new battery and just make the damn thing already. Been hearing the same damn crap about battery improvements for 10 damn years and still nothing.

like this
Enough with the announcements of we've developed a new battery and just make the damn thing already. Been hearing the same damn crap about battery improvements for 10 damn years and still nothing.

That's the thing, a lot of these work great in the lab.

Now they have to find a way to mass-produce such things so that they're both safe AND don't cost you an arm, leg and both testicles to purchase/use.

Dont we only have to wait a few more years for the NMH battery pattent from the EV1 to expire so we can mass produce batteries bigger than a Vape smoker? Then we can have a very robust, recyclable, and high charge count cell.
so i looked this up... what a messed up fucked up situation.. f u gm fu chevron... wow just wow.. gm should have given the patent away instead of selling to texaco chevron whatever.. that is just fucked up us history, typical fucking excess greed, its not good old greed its super greed.

Misleading title. Their writers suck. The title should reference durability not capacity.

Capacity is storage. Ie. The capacity of a hard drive or gas tank indicates how much it can store.

The durability would be synonymous with SSD write cycles, which is more in line with the advancement being discussed in the article.

Back