Checking in with my Ender3 pro

Yeah.. I underestimated how much of a PITA it was to try to sand the top/backtop of the head.. not super noticeable until up close but I think smaller layers would have helped. So it goes.
Lol, yeah you're right about that. The painting goes a long ways, too.

I am not sure where I would store 31 rolls of filament!
28. Some companies like Jayo have switched to a lighter cardboard spool, but now they load 1.1kg of filament on them but charge the same as older 1kg plastic spools :) Still, my rack is already 3/4 full, but I just couldn't resist lol.

So I just threw on a new extruder, an orbiter v2.0:

20230406_174001.jpg

I was not expecting just how tiny this thing is. The BMG + thin motor came in at about 220g. This comes in at an amazing 140g. I really look forward to trying it out.

Yes, wires are a mess. I'm working on it lol.

So finally got around to doing some input shaping. Here's a good example of what shaving off 80g from the extruder can do. Left is with BMG, right is with Orbiter 2.0:
a.pngshaper_calibrate_x.png

So we can see from the recommended shaper settings that my max quality acceleration goes up from 2800mm/sec to 5600mm/sec, while cutting the smoothing factor nearly in half. Yes, it does have me gain a tad of vibrations, but even if I went with MZV, I'd still gain max quality acceleration and lower smoothing factor at the same time.

Just goes to show, lower that weight :D

Sometimes a project idea gets stuck in your brain and you have to see it through.

Weekend project - Giant's Toe from Skyrim.

PLA ~ 1h40min print time. Rest of the weekend off and on painting, weathering, and capping. There was a very much "draw the rest of the owl" part missing.

File: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4898443

20230806c.jpg
\

20230806b.jpg

Had a friend in need for a smiling flaming barrel companion to their dumpster fire from last year. A Sunday afternoon in Fusion360 and Blender and voila! A barrel fire that fits a flickering tea candle.

20230926.jpg

20230926_02.jpg

Had a friend in need for a smiling flaming barrel companion to their dumpster fire from last year. A Sunday afternoon in Fusion360 and Blender and voila! A barrel fire that fits a flickering tea candle.

View attachment 601541

View attachment 601542
Nice.

On another point I'm very interested in the new V3 SE and KE for a friend. The former looks extremely good for $200 or less and should be even the S1/pro. The KE with linear rails sounds awesome.

*Edit* Worth noting that microcenter has a $200 off coupon for the K1 dropping it to $380. Sounds like they've ironed the kinks out by now.

The speed alone with the rails is super duper intriguing. Cutting down print times would be my only motivation for the extra cash. ha!
Yeah I really want to try one out. I'll be a tad bit bummed if it blows out my modded Aquilla. Then again I've been very conservative with my speed. Maybe I'ts been capable of much more this whole time.

Currently waiting on a machined aluminum bed.

Some misc stuff I was making/printing recently..

Trying my hand at quick and dirty topo maps ripped from GoogleMaps. Not bad.

1699728070243.png

Reprint of Mixi for a niece who broke her other one.

1699728107759.png

Quick and dirty print of a scanned 2500-1000bc proto Choctaw arrowhead that I wanted to try out an 'obsidian' paint job.
Certainly could have dealt with a bit better sanding, but they did well enough for what I wanted to test out.
Black acrylic with some blue or red highlights. Flubbed on the white/tan to much on the back, but so it goes.
Acrylic satin clear coat over it all.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1664913

1699728143597.png

Back