Checking for mistakes in my PC build!

samtoryu

n00b
Hi everyone!
It's been a week since I started looking for a new PC build and here's what I ended up with. I wanted to check with you all what you think and ask for some advice.
Notice that: it's meant to be a PC for CG projects, 3D and VFX stuff.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
GPU: RTX 3070 8GB
MOBO: Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS NVME
RAM: DDR 5 2x16 5200hz

Now, can anyone help me with CPU cooler and the right case for all of this stuff?
Those are two tricky pieces.

Thank you all, have a nice day! :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks man, that seems a pretty cool cooler ( pun intended ).
For the case, I'm only worried about sizes, any mid-tower ATX would do the job, right? I don't want to buy something and then things doesn't even fit in you know...

RAM: DDR 5 2x16 6000 hz if you can.
Yeeeeaaah, I don't know... Those are pretty expensive and I'm not sure they make that big of a difference in performance.
Any suggestions for power supplies too? A 850W would do right?

Yeeeeaaah, I don't know... Those are pretty expensive and I'm not sure they make that big of a difference in performance.

AMD CPUs are much more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel. DDR5-6000 (considered the sweet-spot for the current CPUs) will typically perform considerably better than 5200. Yeah, cost is maybe ~$20-40 more, but I'd say it's probably worth it. Also, get EXPO sticks (AMD's answer to XMP). This G.Skill set should work well, and is currently on sale.

An 850 W PSU is more than adequate for that CPU+GPU combo. Even a 750 W unit would be fine. Seasonic is always a safe choice. Corsair and EVGA are also usually good.

+1 on the above CPU heatsink.

The intended applications would seem to be ones where more CPUs cores might make a considerable difference. Have you considered the Ryzen 7900 or 7900X? Also, if you're working with large files would these apps maybe benefit from a faster PCIe 4 SSD? Would they benefit from a higher-end GPU? If this is a hobby system then these considerations probably don't matter, but if you're getting paid for your time then it might be worth considering whether paying a little more up front to improve your render times and such is worthwhile.

AMD CPUs are much more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel. DDR5-6000 (considered the sweet-spot for the current CPUs) will typically perform considerably better than 5200. Yeah, cost is maybe ~$20-40 more, but I'd say it's probably worth it. Also, get EXPO sticks (AMD's answer to XMP). This G.Skill set should work well, and is currently on sale.

An 850 W PSU is more than adequate for that CPU+GPU combo. Even a 750 W unit would be fine. Seasonic is always a safe choice. Corsair and EVGA are also usually good.

+1 on the above CPU heatsink.

The intended applications would seem to be ones where more CPUs cores might make a considerable difference. Have you considered the Ryzen 7900 or 7900X? Also, if you're working with large files would these apps maybe benefit from a faster PCIe 4 SSD? Would they benefit from a higher-end GPU? If this is a hobby system then these considerations probably don't matter, but if you're getting paid for your time then it might be worth considering whether paying a little more up front to improve your render times and such is worthwhile.
It's not hobby but not super professional either. I started recently and I don't think I will need a super high end setup for the time being, maybe I will in the years coming. I don't have a high budget too so I think this setup is the nice sweet spot for both budget and performance. I think I will go for the 6000hz RAM like you suggested though, the gap in price is not that big, thank you!

I'll look into some power supplies from seasonic and Corsair, thank you man

PC for CG projects, 3D and VFX stuff.
Do you have an idea of what project-applications would it be, 2 possible things

) Would Intel quicksync be a nice plus for what you would do ?
) Would more core ? Possibly not, if you use the GPU for rendering-encoding and not superhigh precision CPU, etc...

The 3070 is quite the monster, that often match or beat a titan, +65 jump from a 2070 super, if the work load fit in the VRAM, if you need more of it then it could be a weaker choice than cheaper higher vram option a la 3060 12gig

I did this mistake and cheaped out on 5200, get 1 stick of 6000, get the second one later if budget is restricted. 6000 is sweet spot for AM5.

Yes as stated your dollar store RAM and that meek RAM 8GB video card.
That said micro use scenarios, you might be overkill as often "artsey" types well over estimate actual usage cases. It is always a situation of where you work your way up. Understand your needs. No idea? Then get a middle class with upgrade path and work it out.

Back