Check out my new years 2500k Overclock

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive spent about 40 mins entering settings into the bios and after about 8 trys I think I got it stable at 4.5Ghz on my brother's Asus P8P67 Deluxe.

How do these settings look?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I noticed even sitting in windows not running anything it is reading the base clock at 4.5ghz. Why is not dropping to a lower speed/voltage when idling?

I noticed even sitting in windows not running anything it is reading the base clock at 4.5ghz. Why is not dropping to a lower speed/voltage when idling?

Enable C-States.

Also messing around for 40 minutes isn't "stable". Prime 95 runs a series of different tests and some of the more strenuous ones do not run for hours.

Give IntelBurnTest a whirl... Download the latest version (2.52), open it up, set the Stress Level to "Very High", change "Times to run" to 25 and see what happens. This can often give you faster failures than P95.

It is not dropping because you are using a manual overlock. You need to overclock using offset. My i5-2500k does 4.5GHz @ 1.336 with offset. It clocks down 1.5GHz @ 1.016v.

Ok so I found out how to enable offset, you have to make sure speedstep is enabled along with the 3 different c options under CPU management tab. now Im getting max of 1.336V in Prime 95 under load and 1.320V idle. Does that sound safe for 24/7 operation? Temps never go above 64C.

Ok so I found out how to enable offset, you have to make sure speedstep is enabled along with the 3 different c options under CPU management tab. now Im getting max of 1.336V in Prime 95 under load and 1.320V idle. Does that sound safe for 24/7 operation? Temps never go above 64C.

Idle should be a tad above 1.0v. Reset your BIOS settings and start from scratch. Also, make sure your computer does not crash in idle mode when using offset. If it does then up offset a little bit. I will post my settings tomorrow.

1.336 is fairly conservative. You should be able to get near or over 5GHz if you hit the 1.4V barrier.

You don't have to of course, 4.5GHz is more than enough and your voltage will remain cooler and give your CPU a longer lifespan.

Hey guys, I switched the CPU mode from manual to Offset and it now runs 1.0v on idle but when i start running pime 95 it showed 1.45v on full load, i quickly stopped it since thats really high,

Why is it giving it that much voltage? I want it to run 1.0v idle but I only want it to go up to 1.336V, how can I set this?

Before it would run 1.32v idle -> 1.366V load. I guess I just don't understand what settings to change. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys, I switched the CPU mode from manual to Offset and it now runs 1.0v on idle but when i start running pime 95 it showed 1.45v on full load, i quickly stopped it since thats really high,

Why is it giving it that much voltage? I want it to run 1.0v idle but I only want it to go up to 1.336V, how can I set this?

Before it would run 1.32v idle -> 1.366V load. I guess I just don't understand what settings to change. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You really need to do some more reading before you fry something. The reason for the voltage jump is one of the basic things you need to understand to safely overclock SB. I don't mean to be harsh, but read a bit more.

There are great threads here @ the [H].

So I should try to obtain a safe/stable overclock only using the offset feature? Using manual wll kill the cpu?

I think this is my problem --> http://www.overclock.net/t/932816/overclocking-i5-2500k-asus-p8p67-pro#post_12263638

Basically If I use offset with a - sign, to keep the voltage from going too high on load, it will make the system unstable during idle.

*EDIT* Well after trying to change many settings I am trying the Asus OC Tunner @4.5ghz, It is giving it 1.320V under load. and it goes back down to around 1.0V idle. Will try this for a few hours in Prime along with basic Windows functions and gaming and see how it goes.

Last edited:
^ I am using offset plus a manual voltage. Doesn't C-State properly though so it stays @ 5.0GHz and 1.4V all the time and it bugs me. I have to fix it when I am not feeling lazy to figure out what's going on.

Just to update you guys, I reset everything and left everything at auto and set the multiplier to 44, and got a stable overclock of 4.4Ghz. On auto it is getting 1.320v on full load and idle speed and voltages are good.

If I go past 4.5 I have to set everything to manual which gives it 1.36V 24/7 which I don't like and offset is not stable. Anyway, I'm happy with 4.4.

Just to update you guys, I reset everything and left everything at auto and set the multiplier to 44, and got a stable overclock of 4.4Ghz. On auto it is getting 1.320v on full load and idle speed and voltages are good.

If I go past 4.5 I have to set everything to manual which gives it 1.36V 24/7 which I don't like and offset is not stable. Anyway, I'm happy with 4.4.

Try this. In the BIOS set your DDR3 to 1333MHz and 1.5V (for safety for your CPU's memory controller, trust me). Then set manually to 100 BCLK and 50x multiplier. Set the offset voltage to + sign to about 1.10V to 1.20V. Set load line calibration and CPU current capability to ultra-high or extreme and 130 or 140%. Set internal PLL voltage to Auto and DIGI+VRM to Extreme.

You should theoretically be able to boot @ 5GHz. I am Prime Stable @ 1.416V inside Windows (you will have to tweak the voltage in AI Suite once you get into Windows, the voltage offset in the BIOS is just to get a safe boot but once in Windows it will be too high) Tested with two 2500Ks, one made in Malaysia and one made in Costa Rica on the same board as you.

hey guys, Im not sure if I should start a new thread or not but I have a NEW system I am overclocking. Its the same system in my sig Asus Z68 Pro Gen3, 2500k with 212+ evo. Im currently at 4.8ghz at 1.39v with max Temp of 75C on load in Prime95. Can you take a look at my settings and let me know where to go from here?

Ai Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK/PCIE Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 48
Internal PLL Voltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: Stock 1600mhz
DRAM Timing Control: Stock
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

Ai Tweaker\ CPU Power Management >
CPU Ratio: Auto
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
Long Duration Power Limit: Auto
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Auto
Additional Turbo Voltage: Auto
Primary Plane Current Limit: Auto

Ai Tweaker (in the DIGI+ VRM section)
Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 140%
CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.55
DRAM Voltage: 1.52V
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.7
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Enabled

Advanced\ CPU Configuration >
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
CPU C1E: Enabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
hey guys, Im not sure if I should start a new thread or not but I have a NEW system I am overclocking. Its the same system in my sig Asus Z68 Pro Gen3, 2500k with 212+ evo. Im currently at 4.8ghz at 1.39v with max Temp of 75C on load in Prime95. Can you take a look at my settings and let me know where to go from here?

Ai Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK/PCIE Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 48
Internal PLL Voltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: Stock 1600mhz
DRAM Timing Control: Stock
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

Ai Tweaker\ CPU Power Management >
Long Duration Power Limit: Auto
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Auto
Additional Turbo Voltage: Auto
Primary Plane Current Limit: Auto

Ai Tweaker (in the DIGI+ VRM section)
Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 140%
CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.55
DRAM Voltage: 1.52V
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.7
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Enabled

Advanced\ CPU Configuration >
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
CPU C1E: Enabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

It looks okay to me except for one or two things. Personally after having killed the memory controller of my 2500K, I would not run my memory @ 1600MHz. The official Intel spec for the 2600K only supports 1066/1333MHz. On another forum, a poster said that when trying to warranty his chip, the Intel rep mentioned that Intel might not support warranty in that instance and was making an exception for him. For me, I had my settings on Auto and didn't realize this was happening. I realize many people are running their 2500Ks with 1600MHz ram with no issues but I have read warnings in several places regarding this. Because your ram is 1.5V instead of 1.65V, you might be okay but I would take that into consideration. I have manually set mine to 1333MHz now, with faster timings.

You have a manual Spread Spectrum set. This may increase system stability but will hurt your maximum overclock. If you want higher numbers, you could turn of Spread Spectrum and try some other VRM numbers.

The ASUS rep on the official ASUS ROG forum recommended Ultra High or Extreme for Load Line Calibration in conjunction with 140% CPU Current Capability.

I personally overclock with offset on minus sign and not plus sign but that is a personal preference. I find I am able to have a lower operating voltage without it crashing when EIST/Speedstep kicks in.

Try your system with PLL voltage @ 1.8V and Internal PLL Overvoltage off and see if it's stable. Again, after killing a 2500K and not being sure of what exactly did it, I am a little wary of the more controversial things such as internal PLL overvoltage although this may be perfectly safe (or not).

*UPDATE* BF3 and skyrim run like new games now, getting 80-100fps in ultra settings 1900x1200 with dips in the mid 60s sometimes.

Not a single blue screen yet and Im down to 1.36-1.38 on load in Prime @ 4.8ghz. Might just leave it at that. Temps are better too. with max around 64C in BF3.

Ran prime 95 to make sure everything was ok and noticed my max voltage was 1.4v again instead of 1.38 like i had set it. Why would it change assuming I didn't change anything in the bios? I have offset of .20 set. Also It was hitting 81C under load in prime 95 after 16 mins.

What settings can i lower to lower my temps but maintain stability? Would adding a 2nd fan to my Evo help out and be worth it? I lowered CPU current from 140% --> 130%. Will this help with temps?

Thanks for the help.

@Edit, is it normal for a 2500k to go from 30C idle to 65C in less than 5 secs underloaded in Prime 95? Does this indicate not enough thermal paste?

Last edited:
What settings can i lower to lower my temps but maintain stability? Would adding a 2nd fan to my Evo help out and be worth it? I lowered CPU current from 140% --> 130%. Will this help with temps?

Thanks for the help.

@Edit, is it normal for a 2500k to go from 30C idle to 65C in less than 5 secs underloaded in Prime 95? Does this indicate not enough thermal paste?

Well since you are at 4.8GHz, you are going to be pushing thermal barriers without some extreme cooling. You can't keep going faster and expect to keep the temps down, because then you will just be at 4.9GHz asking the same questions.

I backed off to 4.7ghz, 4.8 was 90% stable with prime and games but would sometime blue screen and I didn't want to push the voltage to 1.4 with my current cooling.

4.7 with max of 1.38v under load seems 100% stable and temps don't go past 71C in Prime 95. Usually around 65C in BF3, 62 in Skyrim.

Back