Check Disk on a Exchange 2007

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
All,

I am running an Intel Modular Server (MFSYS25 - http://ark.intel.com/products/48247/Intel-Modular-Server-Chassis-MFSYS25) as my primary host. I have 3 blades installed - one running Server 2008 Standard SP2 (DC, file and print), another running Server 2008 Standard SP2 (Exchange 2007), and another running ESXi with a couple of 2008 R2 guests all connected to the integrated Intel SAN with 11 300GB SAS drives.

I happened to be in Event Viewer the other day and noticed that on the DC and Exchange box I am occasionally getting Event ID 7 errors stating "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block". By occasionally, I mean 4 errors all at once about every day or every other day. The SAN is not reporting any failed disks or anything out of the ordinary at all, but I suspect this has more to do with OS level corruption than anything. ESXi is not throwing any errors, nor are the guests.

I think the first step here is to run Check Disk on one of the boxes. I'd like to do this on Exchange first since the disks are significantly smaller in size (the DC has a 1TB disk for shares). My question is should I worry about running Check Disk /r on this box? I'll make sure I have a current image, etc. before doing so. I've just never had to run it on an Exchange server before. I don't know what would cause issues but I'd rather ask first then find out later.

By the way, performance is still very good on both machines. The events started almost 2 months ago, so I don't think this is anything imminent but then again I don't ever want it to be :D

Also if I'm going the wrong direction here from a troubleshooting standpoint I'm all ears. Thanks for any assistance.

If you suspect the disks are bad and they are part of the SAN and not the host then you should use whatever SAN vendor-sanctioned tools for checking out the disks on the SAN. My guess would be some sort of connectivity issues... you see the errors on different hosts at the same time?

Back