Cheaters Gonna Cheat at CS:GO

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
My daughter was complaining about wall-hackers in CS:GO yesterday afternoon as she was playing yesterday, so I am sure it comes to great comfort to her today that Valve has 1,700 CPUs working to bust cheaters according to PC Gaming. By my calculations, that works out to 0.0000003 CPUs per cheater.

Check out the cheater video.

In one of the only in-depth moments of transparency on this topic, Valve programmer John McDonald spoke at the Game Developers Conference last week in San Francisco about how he and Valve used deep learning techniques to address CS:GO's cheating problem. This approach has been so effective that Valve is now using deep learning on "a bunch of problems," from anti-fraud to aspects of Dota 2, and Valve is actively looking for other studios to work with on implementing their deep learning anti-cheat solution in other games on Steam.

yeah it's my "main game" and the cheating is pretty bad. Hard to get a clean game at MG2/MGE ranks in MM. Have to get an ESEA/FPL accts and deal with the rage nerds.

That is some pretty serious cpu/server hardware for finding cheaters. But I full support this kind of thing!

Yea I used to play CS and CS:Source all the time but the cheat was so rampant that I haven't played in a few months, before that it was probably a year. It's just crazy that there are still that many people who really even care to cheat or even have fun that plays a game for you.....

I use to play CS in regional tournaments and we had a ton of fun. When cheating became so rampant i ended up switching to MMO's where your characters sat server side. When i wanted to get back into shooters, i went with the Xbox. I miss having a riot shield, that really allows you to troll people with aimbots

Anytime there is profit to be had by just playing games, there are bound to be cheaters, so for games like CS:GO and PUBG where you can sell your items for real cash, they are always going to be infested with bots logging in, getting kills, and opening those sweet, sweet loot boxes. Then turning around and selling that crap on the marketplace.

In the artical is states "So Valve bought 1,700 CPUs. And 1,700 more..." You said valve only has 1,700 CPUs

That's really cool. If you think about it: the crowdsourced overwatch tool is training data (trends during cheating are pretty easily identified) for the neural net. The net can then set its own confidence threshold on a cheat, and bump the example up the overwatch queue for additional adversary input.

Also, the video is really funny. I lost interest in CS with Go, but I'll likely do some overwatch reviews.

I just pay for ESEA and all my problems are solved. Its amazing how much better that service is for only $7 a month. 128 tick servers, people that mostly know how to play and no cheaters ive encountered ever i think.

I just pay for ESEA and all my problems are solved. Its amazing how much better that service is for only $7 a month. 128 tick servers, people that mostly know how to play and no cheaters ive encountered ever i think.
If you believe people do not cheat on ESEA you are delusional. Just because someone pays for a service does not mean they don't cheat. Just because ESEA runs their own anti-cheat does not mean that there is not someone figuring out how to work around it as soon as it's released.

CS:GO accounts are $15 each. How many accounts have been banned? Aren't almost all those banned accounts on one-use disposable Steam accounts since you'd lose access to all your VAC secured games if you get caught cheating?

So how many VAC or peer banned Steam accounts are there now? Millions?

How are what must be serial repeat cheaters getting easy access to create accounts over and over again on Steam without using a lot of fraudulent ID or stolen credit cards?

If you want to play a competitive online game, shouldn't you have to put "skin in the game" with a real credit card, bank transfer, check or debit card that exposes your billing ID and puts your actual reputation and ability to play at risk if you cheat?

Any real sporting activity I do, I'm a paid member of the sanctioning sporting body in order to play. If I go and do something unethical or cheat in a match I'm going to be tossed from the sport and no way to just change accounts and come back.

Yea I used to play CS and CS:Source all the time but the cheat was so rampant that I haven't played in a few months, before that it was probably a year. It's just crazy that there are still that many people who really even care to cheat or even have fun that plays a game for you.....

Same here. I think last time I played was on a pentium3-450mhz and a GeForce 2.

I wonder if they'll use deep learning to get Half-Life 3 made.

If you believe people do not cheat on ESEA you are delusional. Just because someone pays for a service does not mean they don't cheat. Just because ESEA runs their own anti-cheat does not mean that there is not someone figuring out how to work around it as soon as it's released.

Lol, im sure there are cheaters. I havent run into a blatant one for maybe 2 years?

I have a real issue with the ESEA client. In terms of privacy, it's a disaster. It runs *all* the time. We have no idea what it's doing besides looking very closely at what's running on our computers, and now we have no way of turning it off ever.

Ethically, the company has already fucked up in a huge way.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/20/esea_gaming_bitcoin_fine/ The software was mining Bitcoin. And if you think that because "the company didn't know an employee was doing it" makes it better... and not way way worse, we will always disagree about how a company should be run.

It seems like stopping cheaters is really hard, ESEA found a solution, though it's not a great one, sort of like how SecurROM stopped piracy.

I just don't get why VALVe doesn't stop people from certain IPs from getting new copies under new accounts. This is an issue in TF2, which is free, and they don't even try.

One of several reasons I don't do online gaming. And when I cheat nobody cares.

I have a real issue with the ESEA client. In terms of privacy, it's a disaster. It runs *all* the time. We have no idea what it's doing besides looking very closely at what's running on our computers, and now we have no way of turning it off ever.

Ethically, the company has already fucked up in a huge way.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/20/esea_gaming_bitcoin_fine/ The software was mining Bitcoin. And if you think that because "the company didn't know an employee was doing it" makes it better... and not way way worse, we will always disagree about how a company should be run.

It seems like stopping cheaters is really hard, ESEA found a solution, though it's not a great one, sort of like how SecurROM stopped piracy.

I just don't get why VALVe doesn't stop people from certain IPs from getting new copies under new accounts. This is an issue in TF2, which is free, and they don't even try.

WOW.

I knew about the “always on” bullshit but the mining ?? Crazy shit.

Gonna go browse their forums and see if they even mention anything about it

valve's ac is a joke compared to esea's (not flawless, still hackers in online tournaments csgo main division experience from 2013). then again, esea is a shady company, and valve is more concerned with maintaining that cash flow.

As I understand it, ESEA expects you to have a literal root kit on your system. No thanks.

Fifty years from now, a former CS:GO player/cheater hears a knock on the door of their room at the assisted living facility followed by a quick insertion of a Cyber S.W.A.T. team to secure his Jello pudding cup and take him away.

CS:GO accounts are $15 each. How many accounts have been banned? Aren't almost all those banned accounts on one-use disposable Steam accounts since you'd lose access to all your VAC secured games if you get caught cheating?

So how many VAC or peer banned Steam accounts are there now? Millions?

How are what must be serial repeat cheaters getting easy access to create accounts over and over again on Steam without using a lot of fraudulent ID or stolen credit cards?

If you want to play a competitive online game, shouldn't you have to put "skin in the game" with a real credit card, bank transfer, check or debit card that exposes your billing ID and puts your actual reputation and ability to play at risk if you cheat?

Any real sporting activity I do, I'm a paid member of the sanctioning sporting body in order to play. If I go and do something unethical or cheat in a match I'm going to be tossed from the sport and no way to just change accounts and come back.

Unfortunately, while that solution could slightly work, it also relies on the ability of Valve to securely retain your “skin,” while somehow validating it really is YOUR “skin (and not a stolen ID).” They aren’t going to take on the former’s risk to combat cheaters. The same cheaters who are still paying Valve $15 everytime they get caught. Short of that money train ending, Valve will never, ever really stem the flow of cheating.

Back