Cheapest Workstation?

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
I was just curious if anyone could spare some knowledge on a good choice for a workstation style system. Something that would be good for multitasking with web apps and multi-media. Ive seen the various selection of the CPU's avaliable but im not sure which one would suit my needs. Also, what linux distro suits this purpose?

I would go with either the VT-310DP or EPIA SP. The VT-310DP has dual processors, 3 lan ports, and supports DDR400 ram. The EPIA SP has just a single processor and lan port, but it also supports DDR400 ram, and it costs substantially less. As for what linux distribution you should use, it's really a subjective thing. I use Ubuntu myself, but you can use Red Hat, Gentoo, or any one of the many available flavours. Download as many as you want and try them all if you wish...though going with the more popular distributions is probably a good idea. You can find ISOs of many distributions here.

Blue Fox said:
I would go with either the VT-310DP or EPIA SP. The VT-310DP has dual processors, 3 lan ports, and supports DDR400 ram. The EPIA SP has just a single processor and lan port, but it also supports DDR400 ram, and it costs substantially less. As for what linux distribution you should use, it's really a subjective thing. I use Ubuntu myself, but you can use Red Hat, Gentoo, or any one of the many available flavours. Download as many as you want and try them all if you wish...though going with the more popular distributions is probably a good idea. You can find ISOs of many distributions here.

Also, what has helped me evaluate distributions is running them side-by-side, microsoft currently has a product out right now named VirtualPC that allows you to install a seperate operating system from within windows, and comes in extremely handy while trying out different linux distributions.

Back