Cheapest way to wirelessly share internet between 2 computers?

TekViper

2[H]4U
I don't know anything when it comes to networking, looking for some suggestions on how to do this. the computers are going to be less then 100ft away from the access point if that makes any difference. Should i get a wireless router and put it near the first computer so i can hardwire it, then get a wireless nic card for the other computer? All i would need is a wireless router and a wireless nic right?

Also can anyone recommend any good "cheap" wireless routers? I need to have speeds of at least 1megabyte/sec. How fast are most wireless systems? Also would i be able to share files between the computers?

You can place the wireless router next to one computer, and get a wired connection between that computer and the router, then have the other computer connect wirelessly with a wireless nic. If you already have a wire-nic in the first computer, that would probably be the cheapest solution.

I can't quote you speeds, perhaps someone else can, but I can tell you there are two kinds of wireless systems out there. Wireless B and G. G is faster than B, but its not like B is slow either. If you really want to make sure the system is as fast as possible, go with G. You'll need a Wireless G router and a Wireless G nic card. Both a compatible with each other, and it will just run at the slowest speed available. Meaning if you have a G router and a B nic-card, then the computer with the B nic card will run at B speeds (But it WILL run). If you have a B router and a G nic-card, the computer will run at B speeds (But it WILL run).

Yes, you can share files.

I would suggest LinkSys. They aren't the cheapest, but you don't really want to get a cheap one. I've seen "cheap" routers die pretty quick, and then you have to get another one. In the long run, its better to get a decent, moderately priced router rather than a cheap one. My suggestion is Linksys, they aren't overpriced.

I have that same exact router. However, i have a microsoft wireless USB Adapter (also G), and i don't know whether its the router or the adapter but the the connection is very instable and constantly disconnects. I'm thinking it is the router, as i have talked to people who are not quite so fond of DLink products and have suggested Linksys instead.

epasnoopy said:
I don't know whether its the router or the adapter but the the connection is very instable and constantly disconnects.
I've heard lots of people vote either way on Linksys vs Dlink, but when connection problems are resolved, it's nearly always because another source of interference was isolated. Try changing the channel on your router.

Back