Cheapest way to get Atmos 5.1 or better sound

DPOSCORP

[H]F Junkie
At most performance levels and pricepoints, Atmos is marketing.

The big differentiator is the height channel support, so Atmos would be something like 5.1.2, where the last two channels can be front height left and right, for example.

I have been reviewing home theater gear for over a decade, so please don't take this response as an insult, it's intended to save you some pain. Buying box systems is invariable a waste of money. Either spend a little more/wait until you can afford to, or just buy a good pair of bookshelves and add more channels over time.

My advice is to go for this series of speakers below with a receiver. The stuff you've linked sounds like absolute shit, and is not worth the money.

If you can't afford this, pick up a pair of the speakers and a sub from here: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-H...dchild=1&keywords=Elac&qid=1596471398&sr=8-30

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the feedback guys, and I never get insulted. I know many Home theater and video/sound enthusiast are picky on their stuff for a reason, but know their stuff.
I never had the eyes or ears needed to be picky, but I still try to stay away from pure shit, mono sound and 480P video.
I have a Apple TV 4k, and will be using a 4K HDR TV or 4K HDR projector........not the best hardware, but the most bang for the buck.

I don't near tons of surround channels or to shake the walls of my house, but I do like to hear explosions and stuff.
I have had receivers and surround sound systems in the past, and these days I am happy with what sounds fine, not super outstanding.

This summarizes how i feel:
" Soundbars are meant to bring you sound that’s several steps above your TV’s built-in speakers, but without all the room-consuming equipment that is a home theater system. These picks take the usual soundbar experience to the next level by all being Dolby Atmos enabled. " From here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-best-dolby-atmos-soundbars.3164045/#post-60003723

I just want better then built in speakers, and lots of reviews say for around $200 I can get that with a soundbar setup.
I would get a receiver if needed multiple inputs, but it just seems a waste.

I started this thread with that line of thought.

" Soundbars are meant to bring you sound that’s several steps above your TV’s built-in speakers, but without all the room-consuming equipment that is a home theater system. These picks take the usual soundbar experience to the next level by all being Dolby Atmos enabled. " From here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-best-dolby-atmos-soundbars.3164045/#post-60003723
This looks more like output from an aggregator than an actual review, or review of reviews...

I just want better then built in speakers, and lots of reviews say for around $200 I can get that with a soundbar setup.
I would get a receiver if needed multiple inputs, but it just seems a waste.

I started this thread with that line of thought.
A soundbar gives you that. And if that's your only real goal, I'd recommend getting one. They're simple, relatively unobtrusive, and generally just work.

I don't near tons of surround channels or to shake the walls of my house, but I do like to hear explosions and stuff.
I have had receivers and surround sound systems in the past, and these days I am happy with what sounds fine, not super outstanding.
So, at my last place I had my full 7.1.2 setup going. That's a center channel and then stereo front, surround, and rear, along with a sub and front height left and right. Nine separate speakers.

New place is smaller and less well insulated, so I'm down to 3.0 -- that is, a pair of towers with 6.5" drivers and a center speaker with dual 4" drivers. No sub. No surround. No height.

I can still hear explosions and stuff!

And I can set it all back up when I have space; and swap the speakers out to get the SVS stuff that I've been looking at.

Problem is, even at 3.0, it ain't gonna hit $300 :)

Back