Cheapest processor for descent gamining experence on battlefield2

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a little help with this, I always buy overkill for myself, and have no experience in finding the cheapest thing to do the job. I have a friend with an amd 6000+ system that has crashed since day one doing anything intensive, I'm not going to even bother attempting to fix it, my guess would be a bios/memory issue because it runs fine otherwise and temps are fine, not overclocked. Anyways, looking for the least expensive processor that will give a good experience for that game, without overclocking. A videocard will be given to him (it will most likely be my other friends nvidia 9800gtx, which I believe is pic-e, at least I hope it is, if not, ill give him my 260 when I upgrade to the 580, once the price goes down to msrp).

My quick choice would be Intel Core i3-540 ($114.99 newegg) but seems kinda high price at being the 'cheapest option', without looking at celerons, for which I haven't owned since the 300A. Should I be looking at AMD for him? AMD Phenom 9850 ($69.99) looks like a way better deal?

I would stick with amd for the price it's hard to beat. but I would stay away from first generation phenoms.

I am guessing it's a socket 939 he is running now?

There's an x3 black edition for $72 right now on the hot deals forum, you could get an amd mobo for $60 and 4gb of ram for $60, and he would be good to go, unless his psu sucks then I would spend another $40-$60 on a good psu.

I've played BC2 on both my dual core and my a friend's quad machine. The quad core desktop made for smoother gameplay. I'd recommend going with at least a triple core CPU

Just to make sure, do you mean BF2 or BF:BC2? Because the CPU requirements of these two games are drasticaly different! BF2 runs fine on any modern CPU (AMD or Intel) but BC2 needs a fast quad for best performance.

I'd go with a AMD Athlon II X3, 445 or better. It's a better value than an i3-based system. For BF:BC2, the X3 is all the more better than the i3.

At least try to run your friend's computer with each memory chip individually before giving up on it.

If it's Battlefield 2, then it doesnt require anything special. 5 year old computer can run it. lol

bf2 doesn't need a modern cpu at all really, maybe a decent graphics card if you want to max it out.

The Phenom II x3 715 is a better CPU than the Athlon II x4 and it is only $72. Benchmarks show most games oddly enough take advantage of three cores, not two or four.

Wait... Are we talking about Battlefield 2 from like '05 or Battlefield Bad Company 2 which came out this year?

Ya were talking the 5 year old game.
I'll try to fix his computer. If it doesn't work out then ill see about getting him into a X3 system, $74 on the egg sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the help.

descent.jpg

Someone called?

If you wanna go real cheap, grab a used C2D E8xxx... I got my E8200 for $50 last year in CL and have had it running @ 3.7 since..

A mobo shouldn't be too difficult to come by..

Back