Cheapest place to buy WInXP pro.

theDot said:
A local college or university.... if you're a student.
Thats how i got mine for FREE. But then again my high school probably did a deal with the devil in order to sign up with MS developers' Network.

I found Home for 83 bucks at Fry's, and I Think Pro was like 120, can't remember.
However at Fry's or other retailers you have to purchase a piece of Hardware to get that OEM deal.
At a Computer Show you can sometimes get the OEM version without a piece of hardware.
Thats how I got 95 way back in the day.

buzzard34 said:
Thats how i got mine for FREE. But then again my high school probably did a deal with the devil in order to sign up with MS developers' Network.

The MSDNAA program? Yeah it's all over the place, although selection and qualification may be an issue.

Also like hartlove said, make sure it's actually a legit copy...I'd avoid OEM ones for the immediate future too until the nature of MS's plans to "secure" those become more clear. MS security & authorization procedures are usually a joke, but you're only really supposed to buy OEM copies if you're selling systems, not for personal use. The "it's okay as long as you buy it with any random piece of hardware, here have a cable" line is pretty rampant, but has been explicitly been mentioned as a EULA no-no.

hit www.pricewatch.com and search for "Windows XP Pro OEM" and make sure it is the CD and the license. Also watch out for the occasional retailer who might require a hardware purchase to go along with the software. The last time I searched it was about $99 (full version.....not an upgrade), I have not seen it cheaper anywhere.

ashmedai said:
Also like hartlove said, make sure it's actually a legit copy...I'd avoid OEM ones for the immediate future too until the nature of MS's plans to "secure" those become more clear. MS security & authorization procedures are usually a joke, but you're only really supposed to buy OEM copies if you're selling systems, not for personal use. The "it's okay as long as you buy it with any random piece of hardware, here have a cable" line is pretty rampant, but has been explicitly been mentioned as a EULA no-no.

Sounds like you have some misinformation there. Checkout this post.

Back