Cheapest PCIe M.2 Storage?

Wizzard

Limp Gawd
Just browsing around - My motherboard has a PCIe-only m.2 slot - I previously purchased a SATA m.2 drive before coming about my wits with these little guys.

What's my cheapest option for putting this slot to use? I'd be happy to just throw Windows on it, and keep my games / docs on my current SATA SSD.

Used, aftermarket, doesn't matter. Are there any options below those pricey Samsung models?

Cheapest is the EVO 850 but it's performance is no better than the regular SSD SATA version. What MOBO do you have? Is it x2 or x4 lanes for it's M.2 slot? The Samsung SM951 is probably the fastest M.2 option and what I use. I have read they are releasing a version that supports NVMe and that is probably what you will want to use. This will have higher IOPS than it's previous version. I would hold out for this drives release.

Get the M.2 850 EVO.

Anything else will be pricey (read 2x the cost of 850 EVO M.2, at least). HyperX Predator is the best out there now with an official warranty. Otherwise, Samsung's new M.2 is the SM951 - but, like the XP941 before it - it's OEM-only. Meaning warranty is not available for end users unless you buy from a shop that provides one (assuming that they'll be around the 3-5 years - ha).

Intel's 750 is PCIe only (not M.2 form factor) so it's outside of this equation.

I think I am going to buy a M.2 850 EVO for now and wait until prices/dust settles before getting an x4 M.2. The flood gates just opened this month, basically. So things will only improve from here!

The M.2 850 EVO is a SATA drive, it will not work in a PCIe-only slot.

Your options are Plextor M6e, Samsung XP941, Samsung SM951 and the HyperX Predator.
All three are good with the SM951 as the fastest.

The M.2 850 EVO is a SATA drive, it will not work in a PCIe-only slot.

Your options are Plextor M6e, Samsung XP941, Samsung SM951 and the HyperX Predator.
All three are good with the SM951 as the fastest.

I stand corrected.

My M.2 slot will do SATA and PCIe. I assumed all were the same.

The M.2 market right now is frustrating. Particularly with x4 drives. Samsung is the best but they're OEM - no warranty. And they're not on NewEgg (SM951, anyway). Kingston is not far behind but they have shady practices in the past. The Intel 750 is awesome but I don't want to waste a PCI slot (in between SLI'd cards).

My motherboard (Asus Gene VII) will only support PCIe SSDs - I have a Transcend SATA m.2 drive depreciating on my shelf.

The 850 EVO m.2 SSD is SATA Only - I need PCIe SSD.... Therein lies my problem.

I didn't know about the M6e or the HyperX Pred - Thanks for revealing some options!

My motherboard (Asus Gene VII) will only support PCIe SSDs - I have a Transcend SATA m.2 drive depreciating on my shelf.

The 850 EVO m.2 SSD is SATA Only - I need PCIe SSD.... Therein lies my problem.

I didn't know about the M6e or the HyperX Pred - Thanks for revealing some options!

Good luck. I just bought a 480GB HyperX Predator. Not cheap by any means - but, for me, the best option today. The Samsung SM951 is attractive but I did not want to have to use a warranty provided by the vendor.

The Plextor M6e is slower than both of those options and priced similarly.

Back